Renaming A1(M) North of Hook Moor as M1

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Was92now625

Re: Renaming A1(M) North of Hook Moor as M1

Post by Was92now625 »

Osthagen wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:22
Not necessarily, because the boundary between "4" and "6" south of Catthorpe would actually become undefined, and could theoretically be resolved by extending the M6 along the remainder of the M1 south of J19.
A lot of junction re-numbering. Adding 19 (or so) to about 45 of them.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Trouble is it didnt do anything of the sort. The M1 was built as the London to Yorkshire motorway precisely because there was no good through road from London to the West Midlands and West Yorkshire. The M45/A45 were built as a spur to carry traffic towards Coventry and Birmingham. Prior to that the main routes from London to the North West were the A5 and A41. If anything the M1 replaced the A5, A426 and A61.

The A1 was and remains the London to Edinburgh trunk road and along the way serves the East Midlands, North Yorkshire, Tyneside and Northumbria with a spur to Teesside. There is a reason it was referred to as the Great North Road long before road numbers were issued. This is the same reason it has been upgraded to motorway along much of its length. Both the A1/A1(M) and M1 are major roads but they are not the same entity and one has not replaced the other.

As for the M1 to Hook Moor note that one of the major justifications HE are putting forwars for upgrading the A1 and A1(M) between Blyth and Darrington is to relieve traffic on that section of the M1 as it is becoming a major congestion point. Between J42 and J43 AADF is now 150k and rising with junctions being close together and high levels of commuter traffic. In fact I stopped using the Hook Moor route to reach the M1 when heading south simply because for all its faults the Doncaster bypass and M18 are usually quicker.
My point was that the M1 now takes a huge amount of traffic that would have used the A1 previously, for example if you were travelling from Newcastle to London you would either take the A1(M)A1/M18/M1 route or take the A1(M) /M1 route like signed at Hook Moor London, obviously it depends where in London your destination is but basically I would only use the A1 route south of the M18 if heading for east London or Kent and that would be via the A14/M11, for central London, west London, south London or beyond its the M1, the M1 is far more reliable these days and even the roadworks are running at 60, as much as I like the A1 it’s a pain during the day especially when you get 2 lorries side by side for ages, all sat navs for anywhere north of Leeds also take you onto the M1 for London apart from east London, so the M1 is bypassing the A1’s function between London and Hook Moor, yes some might take the A1 but the majority are using the M1.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

NICK 647063 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 01:05

My point was that the M1 now takes a huge amount of traffic that would have used the A1 previously, for example if you were travelling from Newcastle to London you would either take the A1(M)A1/M18/M1 route or take the A1(M) /M1 route like signed at Hook Moor London, obviously it depends where in London your destination is but basically I would only use the A1 route south of the M18 if heading for east London or Kent and that would be via the A14/M11, for central London, west London, south London or beyond its the M1, the M1 is far more reliable these days and even the roadworks are running at 60, as much as I like the A1 it’s a pain during the day especially when you get 2 lorries side by side for ages, all sat navs for anywhere north of Leeds also take you onto the M1 for London apart from east London, so the M1 is bypassing the A1’s function between London and Hook Moor, yes some might take the A1 but the majority are using the M1.
In fact of course the A1/A1(M) carries far more traffic now than it ever did before the M1 opened and its rather telling that major towns along its length were being bypassed even as the M1 was being built. In the 10 years between 2008 and 2018 traffic on the A1 rose from an AADF of 60k to around 75k. I can assure you as someone who was born in the North East of England but has lived and worked in Kent, London and Cambridgeshire I have spent more of my life between 1980 and 2020 on the A1, M1 and alternative routes than I care to remember. I fact I am somewhat chagrined at the realisation that the farthest south I have got on the A1 this year was Wetherby

As for your statement that all Sat Navs take you via Leeds that is not my experience. Typically they suggest M1/M18/A1(M)

In fact as something of an experiment I just got Google maps to produce a route and it recommended the following between Edgware and Marton-In-Cleveland

3 h 41 min
via A1 and A1(M)/A19
233 miles

3 h 44 min
via M1/M18/A1(M)/A19
239 miles

4 h 1 min
via M1/A1(M)/A19
248 miles
3 h 57 min without traffic

Having been a regular user of this route since 1980 I could and probably should write a dissertation on the subject of the best routes at various times and by era. Suffice it to say that in the mid 1980's before the M1 had been widened, the A1 roundabouts removed and new bypasses on the A1 opened the best route north on a Friday afternoon from Wembley to the NE was a rather convoluted route that involved the M1 to J9, a back double around Whipsnade to pick up the A5 north of Dunstable, A5 to Rugby and then join the M1 at J20.

In that period the M1 used to be one seemingly interminable queue from Watford to the M6 at that time of day while Hatfield on the A1 was a nightmare. The M11/A1 route was little better, the on slip for the A1 at Alconbury was S1 and the result was that traffic would queue back on the A604 as far as Huntingdon. The A1 at the time was not the magnificent D4 it now is but a rather underwhelming 1960's D2 which is still largely intact as the LAR.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.46268 ... 6656?hl=en

The beauty of the A1 is that apart from the Stamford bypass there is always a reasonable alternate route.

If the Doncaster bypass is blocked the A60 through Tickhill will do nicely.

If the A1 north of Newark is blocked never fear the old Great North Road aka B1164 is still there to be found and a pleasant diversion it is too when everyone else is waiting for the road to be cleared.It is a rather nice drive with sweeping bends, wide lanes and little traffic.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.20223 ... 6656?hl=en
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... itle=B1164

From the SABRE Wiki: B1164 :

The B1164 was formerly part of the Nottinghamshire section of the A1, the Great North Road. However, the A1 now bypasses the many villages on this road, and the B1164 now acts as a local access road for these communities.

Our road starts on a modified diamond interchange with the A1 at Carlton on Trent. The A1 peels off to the left, and the original route bears right, along the line of the southbound

... Read More