Pointless motorway overhead messages

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JohnnyMo

Re: Pointless motorway overhead messages

Post by JohnnyMo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:54

OK this is not the UK and not a motorway but what about this idea: Trivia quiz questions
Johnny Mo

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 15:06

Again, outside the UK but what is the point of this? Surely nothing displayed at all will show the desired effect.
Attachments
outof.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man » Thu Dec 09, 2021 19:40

Truvelo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 15:06
Again, outside the UK but what is the point of this? Surely nothing displayed at all will show the desired effect.
I'd interpret that as "The message system isn't operating" but blank as "We don't have anything to tell you right now" or "Oh dear the sign is faulty". I'm not claiming that is the intended or correct inference.

Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L » Wed Dec 15, 2021 20:05

Approaching M40 J11 (Banbury) from the north this morning. At about half a mile away, sign saying J11 exit closed. Nothing before that. Also, less helpfully, this sign had the same message.

No actual closure, lots of traffic taking the exit.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

brummie_rob

Post by brummie_rob » Wed Dec 15, 2021 22:37

Lots of faulty signs at the moment including three lanes closed on M1 today by Luton causing 60 minute queues as they couldn't turn signs off. Same on M25. M6 also had a closure sign from yesterday on display. I suspect this is as NH move there software to the cloud.

Barkstar

Post by Barkstar » Thu Dec 30, 2021 14:56

Heading north on the M40 got plenty of signs saying M42 closed Jcts 9 to 10. Which is helpful if you actually know where that is. If you have co-pilot they could look it up on a phone or in an atlas. If you have active Satnav that should guide you round it if needs be. In the end it turned out I exit at 9 on to the A446, so though it added about half an hour to my journey due to all the diverted traffic I stayed on route.
Given I must have passed 20+ signs about the closure a few should really say more than a Jct number. And as an asides the closure - which was to last a few days wasn't mentioned by the traffic reporter on Radio 2.

Bendo

Post by Bendo » Thu Dec 30, 2021 16:49

Truvelo wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 15:06
At least its fairly clear. The old looking signs on the M5 near Exeter that show sign not in use take a good hard look to actual read.

Duple

Post by Duple » Sat Jan 01, 2022 17:29

Barkstar wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 14:56
Heading north on the M40 got plenty of signs saying M42 closed Jcts 9 to 10. Which is helpful if you actually know where that is. If you have co-pilot they could look it up on a phone or in an atlas. If you have active Satnav that should guide you round it if needs be. In the end it turned out I exit at 9 on to the A446, so though it added about half an hour to my journey due to all the diverted traffic I stayed on route.
Given I must have passed 20+ signs about the closure a few should really say more than a Jct number. And as an asides the closure - which was to last a few days wasn't mentioned by the traffic reporter on Radio 2.
They had this on the VMS at the end of the M5 / M6 jnc 8 merger, I can't work out who this would benefit as it's north of the M42 ?

Barkstar

Post by Barkstar » Sun Jan 02, 2022 23:55

Spotted another one today. One of the temporary matrix type signs approaching the current M56 roadworks states the works are suspended for the holidays. Now I certainly don't begrudge the workforce having a break but seeing as the cones, speed limit, narrow lanes and average speed cameras are all still in place the only thing actually suspended is the work...... :facepalm: