Roads before and after construction

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Re: Roads before and after construction

Post by roadphotos »

The A289 Medway Towns By-Pass (before and after construction). The first picture shows a field (future A289) between Higham and Wainscott. The second picture shows that what was once a field is now the cutting for the A289 and the Dillywood Lane overbridge. The trees link both pictures.
Attachments
A field (future A289) between Higham and Wainscott, Kent
A field (future A289) between Higham and Wainscott, Kent
The A289 (completed)
The A289 (completed)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The A289 Medway Towns By-Pass (before and after construction) Kent. The first picture is looking towards Higham from a field (future A289) near Crutches Lane. The second picture shows the same view after the A289 has been completed.
Attachments
The view towards Higham (future A289)
The view towards Higham (future A289)
The A289 (completed)
The A289 (completed)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

A field (future A289) near Gadshill, Kent.
Attachments
A field (future A289) near Gadshill, Kent
A field (future A289) near Gadshill, Kent
Last edited by roadphotos on Tue Jan 18, 2022 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The completed dual carriageway A289 near Gadshill, Kent.
Attachments
The A289 (completed)
The A289 (completed)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The view towards Gadshill (future A289) near Higham, Kent.
Attachments
The view towards Gadshill (future A289)
The view towards Gadshill (future A289)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The view towards Gadshill (near Higham) after construction of the A289 Medway Towns By-Pass.
Attachments
The A289 (completed)
The A289 (completed)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The view towards Gadshill (near Higham) a few years after completion of the A289 Medway Towns By-Pass.
Attachments
The A289 (after completion)
The A289 (after completion)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The A414 Stanstead Abbotts By-Pass (under construction), Hertfordshire.
Attachments
The A414 (under construction)
The A414 (under construction)
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The A414 Stanstead Abbotts By-Pass (completed), Hertfordshire.
Attachments
The A414 (completed)
The A414 (completed)
ROAD ROVER

Post by ROAD ROVER »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 13:13 The A10 Wadesmill By-Pass before and after construction (viewed from Cold Christmas Lane near Thundridge, Hertfordshire).
The far tree lines in this & the third pair of photos of the A10 bypass are amazingly similar. There's barely any difference in the shape of them at all in the before & after photos.
I did use to enjoy driving that part of the road before the bypass was built, mainly in artic's in the years after l got my class one licence. I used to drive the A505 a lot then too, before the Baldock bypass was built. In fact l was up that way with a forty-footer delivering a garage flagpole to Royston on the day after l passed my test.
Before that l worked for Parceline & Chelmsford was my round, the A12 bypass was just being built & it was long before the A130 was extended & you drove up the Broomfield Road to get to Braintree. I used to deliver to the Hartford End Brewery which seemed miles out in the sticks then, a lovely old place. We went to a wedding at Leez Priory (which is also lovely) last year & drove past the brewery on the way. All brewing gone now of course,
the site developed into flats & houses. The main building is still there with the factory chimney. Progress. I still use that route at night regularly in the lorries, l use the B1008 through Ford End to get to the A120 rather than go up to Braintree & back.
The old A130 down to Basildon was a nice road to drive too before it was bypassed though was quite busy with not many chances to overtake the lorries except the one or two dualled parts but the A120 from the M11 was normally a bit tortuous as it was always busy with no dualling at all.

Great photos in this thread.
ROAD ROVER

Post by ROAD ROVER »

roadphotos wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:10 The A12 at Leytonstone (before and after construction). The pictures show the view from Cathall Road, Leytonstone before and after construction of the A12. The first picture shows houses next to the tube that are due to be demolished to make way for the A12. The second picture shows the same view after the A12 has been completed.
My dad lives off of Grove Green Road & was there right through the works.

Does anyone have any pictures of the A13 disappearing under a mound of earth at the M25 before it was extended westward?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

ROAD ROVER wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 03:32
roadphotos wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 13:13 The A10 Wadesmill By-Pass before and after construction (viewed from Cold Christmas Lane near Thundridge, Hertfordshire).
The far tree lines in this & the third pair of photos of the A10 bypass are amazingly similar. There's barely any difference in the shape of them at all in the before & after photos.
I did use to enjoy driving that part of the road before the bypass was built, mainly in artic's in the years after l got my class one licence. I used to drive the A505 a lot then too, before the Baldock bypass was built. In fact l was up that way with a forty-footer delivering a garage flagpole to Royston on the day after l passed my test.
Before that l worked for Parceline & Chelmsford was my round, the A12 bypass was just being built & it was long before the A130 was extended & you drove up the Broomfield Road to get to Braintree. I used to deliver to the Hartford End Brewery which seemed miles out in the sticks then, a lovely old place. We went to a wedding at Leez Priory (which is also lovely) last year & drove past the brewery on the way. All brewing gone now of course,
the site developed into flats & houses. The main building is still there with the factory chimney. Progress. I still use that route at night regularly in the lorries, l use the B1008 through Ford End to get to the A120 rather than go up to Braintree & back.
The old A130 down to Basildon was a nice road to drive too before it was bypassed though was quite busy with not many chances to overtake the lorries except the one or two dualled parts but the A120 from the M11 was normally a bit tortuous as it was always busy with no dualling at all.

Great photos in this thread.
The Hartford End brewery was Ridley's. Nice bitter and mild, but only available in that part of Essex. They had a few tied houses and a bit of free trade, but ended up being taken over by Greene King, I think and closed down.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ROAD ROVER

Post by ROAD ROVER »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 07:57The Hartford End brewery was Ridley's. Nice bitter and mild, but only available in that part of Essex. They had a few tied houses and a bit of free trade, but ended up being taken over by Greene King, I think and closed down.
Ridleys, that's right. ISTR coming across their beers from time to time in the old days. Greene King though, l can't stand their beers, Abbot gives me a headache without fail. I used to wait until l had two or three deliveries for the extremely picturesque brewery & take them all at once as after a while my run got added to, Kelvedon, Tiptree, The Tolleshunts, Tollesbury & Mersea Island. All in all it was a pleasant little run & l enjoyed my time at Parceline.

Another nice little brewery was Rayments, in Furneux Pelham to the northwest of Bishops Stortford, east of the A10. I do remember seeing their beer around & I used to deliver there when l was in the HGV's. l remember one early winter morning call there & the frost all over the countryside was absolutely beautiful. And one summer we also went to a small classic car show in the village with my Rover P5B & all around the brewery there were sloe bushes so we picked a bagful of berries & made some very passable sloe gin, very passable indeed. Naturally the brewery is now closed & redeveloped. There was also an infamous murder in the village some years ago, a very unfortunate occurence in such an idyllic little place.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... my-officer

I see the A120 Hadham bypass is open now, l'll have to go & check it out.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

roadphotos wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 13:08 The A249 at the M2 (Junction 5). These pictures show the A249 at the M2 (during and after construction) near Sittingbourne, Kent.
Great pictures, but all now being rebuilt again. The 'new' former A249 route in the foreground will be removed and diverted as part of the J5 works just starting.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I'll have to take a few more pictures after the latest alterations to the M2/A249 junction. I haven't seen the plans but I did hear a few years ago that the A249 at the M2 (Junction 5) was going to be rebuilt. Did they go for the flyover option for the A249 or the at grade alternative ?. I couldn't help but think that anything other than a grade separated A249 would be a missed opportunity.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

roadphotos wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:34 I'll have to take a few more pictures after the latest alterations to the M2/A249 junction. I haven't seen the plans but I did hear a few years ago that the A249 at the M2 (Junction 5) was going to be rebuilt. Did they go for the flyover option for the A249 or the at grade alternative ?. I couldn't help but think that anything other than a grade separated A249 would be a missed opportunity.
All here on the National Highways scheme pages, and yes it is a full flyover for the A249 North/South - plus the old A249 route in the foreground in your photos is being completely diverted away from the roundabout. They've broken ground now but it is extremely early days.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks, great to see that the A249 will have a flyover. I'll have to pop down there to take a few more pictures once it's complete.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Looking at the photos is does make me feel a 'little guilty' about concreting over the countryside. Although, the new roads have to be seen in context, providing jobs, housing / development opportunities, easier connections etc. plus they may be bypasses of already built up areas. Apart from the Baldock Tunnel, the fact there isn't more concern for the environment i.e. tunnels and green bridges does may me feel uneasy from a more up-to-date perspective.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Another view of the A121 Cheshunt Link Road before and after construction. The first picture shows Hedworth Avenue (looking towards Leven Drive), the house on the right is due to be demolished to make way for the A121. The second picture shows the same view after the A121 has been completed, part of Hedworth Avenue has gone completely and there is now a footbridge over the A121 here.
Attachments
Hedworth Avenue (before A121 construction)
Hedworth Avenue (before A121 construction)
The view from Hedworth Avenue after completion of the A121
The view from Hedworth Avenue after completion of the A121
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I have a few more pictures of the A130 before and after construction. This picture (looking south) shows a field near Howe Green (future A130).
Attachments
A field near Howe Green (future A130)
A field near Howe Green (future A130)
Last edited by roadphotos on Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:44, edited 1 time in total.