A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Post Reply
Mikehannah
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:14

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Mikehannah »

I see the SG have appointed a company to do the environmental study. Only ten years too late. Still I the conclusion has already been written
B9127
Member
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 20:45
Location: Angus Scotland

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by B9127 »

Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
green light
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2018 20:13

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by green light »

Article about the consultation here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-61421009
Mikehannah
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:14

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Mikehannah »

I just completed the A96 environmental consultation questionnaire
My impressions are.

1) the entire questionnaire has been engineered to be biased against car usage.
2) who ever wrote the survey does not have a clue about rural life or the A96 corridor.
3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?

This government seems to be obsessed with gathering information on Scotlands sexual tendencies , proclivities and gender leanings
jnty
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 00:12

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by jnty »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 I just completed the A96 environmental consultation questionnaire
My impressions are.

1) the entire questionnaire has been engineered to be biased against car usage.
2) who ever wrote the survey does not have a clue about rural life or the A96 corridor.
3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?

This government seems to be obsessed with gathering information on Scotlands sexual tendencies , proclivities and gender leanings
As far as I understand it equalities questions have been normal in most consultations for years now. The idea is to gauge the impact on different groups and expose any systematic bias. The questions will always be optional and the government surely has no need to collect general demographic data from these consultations when the census and other surveys exist.
User avatar
KeithW
Member
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by KeithW »

Mikehannah wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 21:45 I see the SG have appointed a company to do the environmental study. Only ten years too late. Still I the conclusion has already been written
This paragraph caught my eye
Transport Scotland is seeking a better understanding of how the A96 corridor is used, particularly given the changes to everyone’s lives due to Covid-19 pandemic, and the extent to which the climate emergency makes a difference to how people travel on the A96 in the future.
All they need to do is get in a car and drive down it on any weekday - been there done that !

Between 2.5 and 3 hours to cover just over 100 miles

If you want to use public transport then its 2.5 hours by train
swissferry
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 20:42

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by swissferry »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
This seems to be the norm these days. In my experience the Scottish Government are guiltier than the UK Government.

Schools, businesses and charities do it too.

I was tempted to answer "No" when a charity asked its supporters something like
With the charity's income having been reduced in the current economic climate would you like to see the format of our magazine changed from A4 to A5 to reduce mailing costs?
Consultation for the sake of being seen to consult.
Mikehannah
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:14

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Mikehannah »

Unless I did something wrong the section on gender, religion and sexual proclivities were mandatory , I could not submit my questionnaire without filling out the section. I tried because I very much object to these kind of questions!!
Herned
Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 09:15

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Herned »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?
Read this article, it may help understand. It does apply less to roads, but the principles still stand
User avatar
A72
Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 17:21
Location: Peebles, Scottish Borders

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by A72 »

Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 I just completed the A96 environmental consultation questionnaire
My impressions are.

1) the entire questionnaire has been engineered to be biased against car usage.
2) who ever wrote the survey does not have a clue about rural life or the A96 corridor.
3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?

This government seems to be obsessed with gathering information on Scotlands sexual tendencies , proclivities and gender leanings
This is what happens when the Watermelons get any sort of power.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
jnty
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 00:12

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by jnty »

Mikehannah wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 00:16 Unless I did something wrong the section on gender, religion and sexual proclivities were mandatory , I could not submit my questionnaire without filling out the section. I tried because I very much object to these kind of questions!!
I just had a look and not only is there a "prefer not to say" option for each question, the survey will let you continue without selecting an answer for any question.

Why do you object to these questions so much? Consultations are about understanding the impacts across the community affected by a project, and the less you know about the background of the person or organisation to behind each response, the less useful they are. They also highlight when government actions will disproportionately benefit or impact certain groups.
jnty
Member
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 00:12

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by jnty »

A72 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 03:15
Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 I just completed the A96 environmental consultation questionnaire
My impressions are.

1) the entire questionnaire has been engineered to be biased against car usage.
2) who ever wrote the survey does not have a clue about rural life or the A96 corridor.
3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?

This government seems to be obsessed with gathering information on Scotlands sexual tendencies , proclivities and gender leanings
This is what happens when the Watermelons get any sort of power.
Oh come on, this has been the norm in the UK for years. Here's a random Highways England example with an almost identical section at the end.
Mikehannah
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:14

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Mikehannah »

I very much object to questions regarding religion and sexual proclivities as I consider it an invasion of my privacy
Gender I can understand as issues of security and female safe space would conceivably influence a females travel choices.

Religion and sexual proclivities I cannot see any relevance what so ever. I very much doubt a person’s religion influences in anyway his travel plans .
Likewise if a guy wants to travel from inverness to Aberdeen in a skirt and heels it is his business. Logic would dictate he would probably wish to travel by private transport however on more than one occasion I have such individuals on the train.

As regards the option “not to answer” , it was not available to me because I looked. This may be because it was not at that time fully debugged for mobile applications as I completed it on my phone.

Finally I very much object to the timing of this “ study” I seem to remember a business/environmental case is part of the original justification for the project . Either this was not done properly or was not done at all. ( a possibility given the woeful lack of documentation regarding two “ ferries”.
Either way I object to the millions of tax payers money spent on design work that will almost certainly end up in the skip.
User avatar
KeithW
Member
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by KeithW »

Mikehannah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 03:02 I very much object to questions regarding religion and sexual proclivities as I consider it an invasion of my privacy
Gender I can understand as issues of security and female safe space would conceivably influence a females travel choices.

Religion and sexual proclivities I cannot see any relevance what so ever. I very much doubt a person’s religion influences in anyway his travel plans .
Likewise if a guy wants to travel from inverness to Aberdeen in a skirt and heels it is his business. Logic would dictate he would probably wish to travel by private transport however on more than one occasion I have such individuals on the train.

As regards the option “not to answer” , it was not available to me because I looked. This may be because it was not at that time fully debugged for mobile applications as I completed it on my phone.

Finally I very much object to the timing of this “ study” I seem to remember a business/environmental case is part of the original justification for the project . Either this was not done properly or was not done at all. ( a possibility given the woeful lack of documentation regarding two “ ferries”.
Either way I object to the millions of tax payers money spent on design work that will almost certainly end up in the skip.


Then don't respond its really rather simple, as other have said this has been standard in consultation documents for many years, its described as being inclusive. You are dammed if you do and if you don't as then you are accused of ignoring LGBT needs and rights. Its about 30 years too late to complain about political correctness.

Environmental studies cost money and so are often only done in depth when the decision to proceed has been made, they are doing them for the A66 dualling right now along with archaeological surveys.

As for the timing the intent to improve the road was announced in 2011 and the original consultation from 2016 can be seen here.

Part 1


Part 2


By definition plans are firmed up in the consultation and design process. Precisely the same thing has been happening in the case of the A66 dualling.
User avatar
KeithW
Member
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by KeithW »

Well I just completed the survey and all the personal questions regarding gender identity and sexual preference had the the option 'Prefer not to say' so I really dont see any reason for taking offence, indeed there are lots of options for 'Other' where you can enter a personal response which was good. I was able to highlight one of my bugbears which is lack of public rest areas on major roads.
Mikehannah
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 23:14

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Mikehannah »

If you actually read my response I did clearly say that the option “ to not say” was not open to me.
I did also say that I did it on my mobile phone and there may have been a bug, which frequently occurs when opening something meant to be accessed on a pc but is open on a smart phone.

As for not answering, again if you read my post, I have already answered and submitted it.

And an in depth environmental study should have been completed before millions were spent on design work which is undoubtably destined for the skip to appease the minority greens!!
User avatar
KeithW
Member
Posts: 14318
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 13:25
Location: Marton-In-Cleveland North Yorks

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by KeithW »

Mikehannah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 13:13 If you actually read my response I did clearly say that the option “ to not say” was not open to me.
I did also say that I did it on my mobile phone and there may have been a bug, which frequently occurs when opening something meant to be accessed on a pc but is open on a smart phone.

As for not answering, again if you read my post, I have already answered and submitted it.

And an in depth environmental study should have been completed before millions were spent on design work which is undoubtably destined for the skip to appease the minority greens!!

Reading the documentation online I see this.
The Public Local Inquiry into the scheme commenced on 30 October 2018 and concluded on 20 November 2018. Evidence was heard by Reporters appointed by the Scottish Government’s Planning and Environmental Appeals Division. Following detailed consideration of all objections made but not withdrawn, and all evidence heard at the Public Local Inquiry, the Reporters provided recommendations to the Scottish Ministers for their determination.

Following careful consideration of the objections received along with the reasoned conclusions and recommendations of the Reporters, the Scottish Ministers have decided that the Orders should be made with modifications as proposed by Transport Scotland.
https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/49 ... y-2021.pdf
https://www.transport.gov.scot/media/49 ... y-2021.pdf

Seems like its ready to go to me.

The consultation is an overall survey on transport options rather than being specific to the dualling and as is such is welcome, public transport is all too often ignored.
User avatar
Glen
Social Media Admin
Posts: 5307
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 02:16
Location: Inbhir Pheofharain
Contact:

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by Glen »

The consultation makes it clear that this does not affect the Inverness to Nairn (Hardmuir) scheme, as it will continue as planned - as detailed in the cooperation agreement between the Scottish Government and the Scottish Greens last year (and discussed on these forums at the time).
The A96 Corridor Review will cover the transport corridor from Raigmore Interchange at Inverness to Craibstone Junction at Aberdeen. The review findings will be used to test our current plans for dualling outwith the Inverness to Nairn (including Nairn Bypass) scheme, which runs from Inverness to Hardmuir and already has Ministerial consent.
User avatar
ravenbluemoon
Assistant Site Manager
Posts: 2404
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:32
Location: Between Mansfield and Göteborg

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Mikehannah wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 03:02 Likewise if a guy wants to travel from inverness to Aberdeen in a skirt and heels it is his business. Logic would dictate he would probably wish to travel by private transport however on more than one occasion I have such individuals on the train.
I'm glad my needs are catered for along the A96 corridor on both private and public transport :wink:

Legal Note: Of course I'd be driving in appropriate footwear as the Highway Code (Rule 97) suggests as such...
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

User avatar
A72
Member
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 17:21
Location: Peebles, Scottish Borders

Re: A96 Dualling: Inverness to Nairn

Post by A72 »

jnty wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:58
A72 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 03:15
Mikehannah wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 23:33 I just completed the A96 environmental consultation questionnaire
My impressions are.

1) the entire questionnaire has been engineered to be biased against car usage.
2) who ever wrote the survey does not have a clue about rural life or the A96 corridor.
3) it has been written to give a specific outcome.
4) what the h@ll has my gender, religion or sexual leanings past or present got to do with my frequent travel to Aberdeen?

This government seems to be obsessed with gathering information on Scotlands sexual tendencies , proclivities and gender leanings
This is what happens when the Watermelons get any sort of power.
Oh come on, this has been the norm in the UK for years. Here's a random Highways England example with an almost identical section at the end.
I was thinking more of points 1-3, as the Watermelons are good at that. Point 4, as you say, has been the case for some time.
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Post Reply