M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Road construction, numbering, traffic signs, fantasy roads, general roads musings, road history, mapping. Discussions about driving in general are better placed in "Transport and Driving". See below for our separate forum for street furniture.

Moderator: Site Management Team

User avatar
Paianni
SABRE Developer
Posts: 2278
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 14:41
Contact:

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Paianni » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31

It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.

Phil
Member
Posts: 1320
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2002 18:03
Location: Burgess Hill,W Sussex, UK

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Phil » Sun May 21, 2017 16:30

Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.


No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.

User avatar
Paianni
SABRE Developer
Posts: 2278
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 14:41
Contact:

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Paianni » Sun May 21, 2017 17:57

Phil wrote:
Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.


No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.
They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.

lotrjw
Member
Posts: 2071
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2016 02:36

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby lotrjw » Sun May 21, 2017 18:50

Paianni wrote:
Phil wrote:
Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.


No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.
They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.


I guess they would try and have it work with a dodgy lane gain/drop, but it would be tight.

What might be an issue is bridges being too low over the hard shoulder.

Darren
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:33

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 14, 2017 04:41

Five months of works on the way to replace it.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... ay-132028/

User avatar
Bryn666
Media Relations
Posts: 23329
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 20:54

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Bryn666 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 06:45

Does it really take 5 months when the bulk of the work is already there? The foundations are being reused for example.

It's like we just enjoy having cones out for as long as possible sometimes.
Bryn
Traffic Engineer and General Grumpy Young Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Visit my new blog - https://showmeasignblog.wordpress.com

darkcape
Member
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 14:54

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby darkcape » Thu Sep 14, 2017 07:16

The last new footbridge I built took three months and were offline new build. I've got one footbridge to build next year which will take five months as part of an on-line upgrade.

There's probably quite a bit if work making good the existing structure to receive the new sections. Because of its location I imagine the bulk of work will be done at night as you only have the hard shoulder as access in the day - tricky to get plant and equipment in to do stuff.

User avatar
Brenley Corner
Elected Committee Member
Posts: 3582
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 19:28
Location: nr. Canterbury, Kent

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Brenley Corner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33

What I don't understand and perhaps someone here can explain is why these works can't be done concurrently with the Smart Motorway works instead of immediately preceding? In my eyes this is done to make it easier for the engineers and never mind the road users - but I would be only to happy to be corrected.

Thanks,
Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002

User avatar
wrinkly
Member
Posts: 7434
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17
Location: Leeds

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby wrinkly » Thu Dec 14, 2017 23:46


e17simon
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 16:36

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby e17simon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 19:17

Hi there,

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this but this is the 2nd time this kind of thing has happened in Kent.

Sometime in the 80s the footbridge over the A2 at Cobham was also struck and dislodged.

Cheers

Simon

Fenlander
Member
Posts: 4874
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 21:54
Location: south Lincolnshire

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Fenlander » Mon Dec 18, 2017 21:34

I believe the bridge over the track just before the hairpin at Brands Hatch had to be removed after it was struck by a lorry too.

User avatar
Brenley Corner
Elected Committee Member
Posts: 3582
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 19:28
Location: nr. Canterbury, Kent

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Brenley Corner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 22:54

e17simon wrote:Hi there,

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this but this is the 2nd time this kind of thing has happened in Kent.

Sometime in the 80s the footbridge over the A2 at Cobham was also struck and dislodged.

Cheers

Simon


It was April 1985 according to this article. A overbridge on the M20 Ditton Bypass also collapsed during construction in 1971, killing 1 and injuring 15.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002

User avatar
Berk
Member
Posts: 2381
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 02:36
Location: somewhere in zone 1

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Berk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 00:10



I think it’s outrageous that he even dared to plead not guilty to start with... :x

drpsg
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 17:04
Location: England

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby drpsg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 14:35


User avatar
Lockwood
Member
Posts: 2928
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 14:44
Location: Havant, Hampshire

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Lockwood » Thu Dec 21, 2017 15:47

I wonder if he greeted him with "You're shorter than I imagined"

Vierwielen
Member
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 21:21
Location: Hampshire

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Vierwielen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 17:29

Berk wrote:


I think it’s outrageous that he even dared to plead not guilty to start with... :x

Pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" is part of a game used by barristers. I suspect that by pleading "not guilty", his barrister had an opportunity to talk to his opposite number (and maybe the judge) to negotiate a lesser sentence if he changed his plea. Had he pleaded "guilty" in the first place, his barrister might not have had this opportunity.

This is speculation on my part, based on what I saw as a juror in an attempted rape case some 25 years ago. The guy was as guilty as sin, having been interrupted just before penetration took place. However the case ran its course, no credible defence was offered (though there might have been a weak defence for the first of the three charges) and after he had been found guilty, but before sentencing, counsel for the defence gave a long sob story - his client had previous good character, his mother had recently died etc etc. Counsel's job was to get the best deal possible for his client which in this case meant minimising his client's time in jail, so he was careful not to **** the judge off with any frivillous defence. The offender got 7 years.

Fenlander
Member
Posts: 4874
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 21:54
Location: south Lincolnshire

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Fenlander » Thu Dec 21, 2017 20:37

Vierwielen wrote:
Berk wrote:


I think it’s outrageous that he even dared to plead not guilty to start with... :x

Pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" is part of a game used by barristers. I suspect that by pleading "not guilty", his barrister had an opportunity to talk to his opposite number (and maybe the judge) to negotiate a lesser sentence if he changed his plea. Had he pleaded "guilty" in the first place, his barrister might not have had this opportunity.

Plead guilty 'at the first opportunity' (ie start of trial) and there's an automatic discount of the sentence. There's no need for the full trial and they skip straight to the sentencing hearing where the defence can put forward their mitigation at that point. Going not guilty would also increase costs awarded, both the defence's own and the prosecution costs awarded upon conviction.


Return to “British and Irish Roads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bendo, Fenlander, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests