M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Road construction, numbering, traffic signs, fantasy roads, general roads musings, road history, mapping. Discussions about driving in general are better placed in "Transport and Driving". See below for our separate forum for street furniture.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paianni
SABRE Developer

Re: M20 Pedestrian bridge struck and collapses

Postby Paianni » Thu May 18, 2017 11:31

It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.

Phil

Postby Phil » Sun May 21, 2017 16:30

Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.

No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.

Paianni
SABRE Developer

Postby Paianni » Sun May 21, 2017 17:57

Phil wrote:
Paianni wrote:It seems there is already ample space for a D4M under the Trottiscliffe Road and Roughetts Road bridges, in theory they would only have to demolish two more bridges and build three new ones, and then one could have a D4M from J3 to J4. That'll never happen, of course.

No need to demolish anything - "Smart Motorways" providing D4 in a D3M footprint are the future apparently and its likely that this will be required at some stage given traffic levels on this section of the M20.
They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.

lotrjw

Postby lotrjw » Sun May 21, 2017 18:50

Paianni wrote:
Phil wrote:

They may have to demolish Bull Road Bridge, doesn't look like there's enough space even for a D4 there.

I guess they would try and have it work with a dodgy lane gain/drop, but it would be tight.

What might be an issue is bridges being too low over the hard shoulder.

Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 14, 2017 04:41

Five months of works on the way to replace it.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... ay-132028/

Bryn666
Media Relations

Postby Bryn666 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 06:45

Does it really take 5 months when the bulk of the work is already there? The foundations are being reused for example.

It's like we just enjoy having cones out for as long as possible sometimes.
Bryn
Traffic Engineer and General Grumpy Young Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Visit my new blog - https://showmeasignblog.wordpress.com

darkcape

Postby darkcape » Thu Sep 14, 2017 07:16

The last new footbridge I built took three months and were offline new build. I've got one footbridge to build next year which will take five months as part of an on-line upgrade.

There's probably quite a bit if work making good the existing structure to receive the new sections. Because of its location I imagine the bulk of work will be done at night as you only have the hard shoulder as access in the day - tricky to get plant and equipment in to do stuff.

Brenley Corner
Elected Committee Member

Postby Brenley Corner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:33

What I don't understand and perhaps someone here can explain is why these works can't be done concurrently with the Smart Motorway works instead of immediately preceding? In my eyes this is done to make it easier for the engineers and never mind the road users - but I would be only to happy to be corrected.

Thanks,
Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002

Return to “British and Irish Roads”