A1(M) Leeming - Barton

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: A1(M) Leeming - Barton

Post by Glenn A »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
Osthagen wrote: On a related note, I wonder what the last un-bypassed locality on the A1 south of Newcastle was?
It may have been Hatfield in Hertfordshire. The A1(M) Hatfield Tunnel was not opened until late 1986 and until then the two sections of A1(M) either side of Hatfield were connected by a S2 through the town, albeit not through the town centre itself.

It could be argued by residents of Fairburn that the D2 A1 went straight through the village, in effect separating one half of the village from the other with the only link being the GSJ.
Prior to that there was a stretch of S2 from the South Mimms to Hatfield that was finally by passed in 1978 by the A1(M). Also there was a notorious stretch of S2 through Stannington that wasn't by passed until 1987.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Yorkshirelad wrote:
c2R wrote:Could anyone using this section a lot confirm or deny that the LAR at Catterick North uses the old bridge, or was a new one constructed and the old one demolished? I've only driven through at night recently and so can't say for definite!
I drove the length of the new LAR last week. It's the old North junction over bridge reused for the LAR.

Great, thanks - I can add that to the wiki now!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Until 1978 there were considerable stretches of the A1 in Newcastle and Gateshead that were S2, when it was decided the A1 would be diverted through the Tyne Tunnel. However, most of the old A1 signs in Newcastle remained in situ for several reasons( cost grounds, made the city feel more important having the A1 apparently going through) and even local radio still mentioned congestion on the A1 in Newcastle well into the eighties. It was only when the western by pass was built that the signs were removed and the Tyne Tunnel became the A19.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Today I had my first look since motorway status was extended. On the roadworks section between Catterick Central and North, all traffic is now on lanes 1 and 2 (northbound) or the hard shoulder and lane 1 (southbound), so I take it that the works to the cutting slopes near the river bridge are now finished. I think the only remaining work to the main carriageways is completion of the remaining bits of central barrier, some selective resurfacing and re-marking, and general tidying at the site of the former southbound exit at Catterick North.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Scotch Corner roundabout was looking very close to completion today, though a few obvious absences such as permanent signs! Still, it was looking on course for the end of March date.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Glenn A wrote:Any news when the A1(M) will be completed? I will admit the Catterick Central junction will make my journey to and from Caterrick Races about five minutes shorter as I won't have to trail through Catterick via Caterrick North any more.
Finished on March 9th
Grey
Burns

Post by Burns »

Grey wrote:
Glenn A wrote:Any news when the A1(M) will be completed? I will admit the Catterick Central junction will make my journey to and from Caterrick Races about five minutes shorter as I won't have to trail through Catterick via Caterrick North any more.
Finished on March 9th, 2045
Fixed that for you.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Burns wrote:
Grey wrote:
Finished on March 9th, 2018
I think you mean this
Fixed that for you.
Grey
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I was there on the 11th and as described in my post above it was not finished. The stretch between Catterick Central and Catterick North was coned down to 2 lanes each way and subject to a 50 limit. On this stretch, sections of the central barrier were not yet in place and bits of final carriageway surface apparently remained to be done. (Or at least, some old road markings remained to be erased.)

The side roads were all open but some work was still to be finished on them and some sections still had 30 limits.

The mainline has been motorway throughout since 26th Feb, as discussed upthread.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Burns wrote:
Grey wrote:
Finished on March 9th, 2045
Fixed that for you.
What, at a quarter to nine?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Burns

Post by Burns »

Chris Bertram wrote:
Burns wrote:
Grey wrote: Finished on March 9th, 2045
Fixed that for you.
Who writes time without a colon?
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Burns wrote:
Chris Bertram wrote:
Burns wrote: Fixed that for you.
Who writes time without a colon?
It’s fairly common to write time in the hhmm format without a colon.

Should be 3045 anyways, how things are going :roll:
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

It will be complete as previously stated at the end of this month, the missing central barrier at Catterick has just been completed today which seemed pretty quick to say only last week a good section was missing, apart from that it’s just the final hard shoulder markings and removal of the cameras.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

NICK 647063 wrote:It will be complete as previously stated at the end of this month, the missing central barrier at Catterick has just been completed today which seemed pretty quick to say only last week a good section was missing, apart from that it’s just the final hard shoulder markings and removal of the cameras.
Amen to that and farewell to the last sixties section of A1 in North Yorkshire. It might have been an awful road in latter years, but it is a shame to see it go as the A1 will no longer exist in North Yorkshire.
jcb336

Post by jcb336 »

I drove along the whole section this week for the first time in some months. Clearly the Catterick section is nearly finished. End of the month? I suppose so. Ten years ago and more it was planned to do Dishforth to Barton in one go. Imagine that. I'm surprised this second phase has overrun so substantially. But so what? When the scheme was cancelled completely in 1996 I thought I'd never see it happen. Well-it only took 22 years. Nice to drive the full length of the LAR from Baldersby to Barton incidentally. Now. Will I live to see the widening south of Darrington? We'll see.
John Butler
punyXpress

Post by punyXpress »

A1 lives on in the form of Tornado lately on North York Moors railway.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Surely the next project should be the remaining D2 sections in West Yorkshire, which are seriously out of date and also have a sign near Werrington warning you of pedestrians crossing. ( I think anyone trying this would be suicidal, but clearly people must have crossed the A1 in the past).
Also further south, the hopeless section from Baldock to Peterborough should be turned into D3M. This mixture of roundabouts, including the notorious Black Cat, at grade junctions, 50 and 60 mph speed limits due to accidents caused by the at grade junctions and properties along the northbound carriageway, should be completely upgraded.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

wrinkly wrote:To return to the thread topic (sorry to be so eccentric), the HE page says the recent flood during the thaw was due to the river level being above the outlet pipe from the road drainage.

Maybe the solution is reafforestation of Swaledale to reduce the peak water flows in the river.
Similar idea happening: trees planted near Gargrave to prevent flooding in Leeds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-43469636
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

wrinkly wrote:
wrinkly wrote:To return to the thread topic (sorry to be so eccentric), the HE page says the recent flood during the thaw was due to the river level being above the outlet pipe from the road drainage.

Maybe the solution is reafforestation of Swaledale to reduce the peak water flows in the river.
Similar idea happening: trees planted near Gargrave to prevent flooding in Leeds:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-43469636
They’ve been doing that for quite a long time actually. A few years ago in the USA, they were talking about reforesting the upper Mississippi to prevent flooding in the river’s delta.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

It was stated on this thread 13 days ago that the central barrier was finished, so are they any nearer opening up the remaining coned section to 3 lanes? Finishing the main carriageways for Easter perhaps?