Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by wrinkly »

Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

From the Evening Express, ‘NEW LINK ROAD SET TO OPEN AS BYPASS WORK PICKS UP PACE’.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.even ... -pace/amp/
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Transport Scotland have published this timelapse video of the River Dee bridge being constructed.

iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

It's looking a bit worrying for the completion of this road as the main contractor is close to being put in administration. Some of the media have stated that overspend on the bypass along with two hospital contracts have caused this?

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/bus ... shing-job/
clc

Post by clc »

Norfolktolancashire wrote:It's looking a bit worrying for the completion of this road as the main contractor is close to being put in administration. Some of the media have stated that overspend on the bypass along with two hospital contracts have caused this?

Keith Brown says the work at AWPR is covered by legal contingency and will continue.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

clc wrote:
Norfolktolancashire wrote:It's looking a bit worrying for the completion of this road as the main contractor is close to being put in administration. Some of the media have stated that overspend on the bypass along with two hospital contracts have caused this?

Keith Brown says the work at AWPR is covered by legal contingency and will continue.
Carillion are only part of the consortium. Balfour Beatty and Galliford Try would have to pick up the slack to completion.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Balfour Beatty say their additional costs as a result of Carillion's collapse is likely to be £35m - £45m.

Galliford Try would also be expected to pay a similar amount (and they already issued a profit warning in May).
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

orudge wrote:Balfour Beatty say their additional costs as a result of Carillion's collapse is likely to be £35m - £45m.

Galliford Try would also be expected to pay a similar amount (and they already issued a profit warning in May).
Carillion seems to have been underbidding to get work in the hope the government would bail them out if things went bad, always a risky strategy. I have never understood why governments outsource so much of their business to one supplier. It is rarely a good idea and doesn't save money. They were a pain in the rear end on the Crossrail project where all they provided was another layer of expense and delay between Network Rail and the contractors doing the work. One of the Balfour Beatty managers was doing his nut about it at the last meeting I attended in 2015.

My main concern is not so much the direct debts they owe to their own suppliers but how much they owe to subcontractors and the potential for ripple down failures.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

KeithW wrote:
orudge wrote:Balfour Beatty say their additional costs as a result of Carillion's collapse is likely to be £35m - £45m.

Carillion seems to have been underbidding to get work in the hope the government would bail them out if things went bad, always a risky strategy. I have never understood why governments outsource so much of their business to one supplier. It is rarely a good idea and doesn't save money. They were a pain in the rear end on the Crossrail project where all they provided was another layer of expense and delay between Network Rail and the contractors doing the work. One of the Balfour Beatty managers was doing his nut about it at the last meeting I attended in 2015.

My main concern is not so much the direct debts they owe to their own suppliers but how much they owe to subcontractors and the potential for ripple down failures.
I suppose with the AWPR, it’ll depend if your contracted to Carillion directly, or by Aberdeen Roads Limited as the JV.
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

Isn’t the AWPR going to be a non-motorway special road? Look at the signs in the photo at the top of this article.

Are 70 signs no longer required for this type of road?
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I seem to recall someone here saying that it’s no longer required on motorways in Scotland - I’m not sure about non-motorway special roads.

You never know, maybe it means there’s no speed limit on the AWPR, but I don’t think I’ll try to test that in court myself. ;)
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

FurryBoots wrote:Isn’t the AWPR going to be a non-motorway special road? Look at the signs in the photo at the top of this article.

Are 70 signs no longer required for this type of road?
Now that you mention it, I noticed that there are NSL signs visible on the northbound slip off the A944, but I completely forgot about this by the time I got home.

May well be something to do with the fact that only classes I and II of traffic are going to be permitted on the road, i.e the motorway regulations will automatically be applied. As any regular round here should know, there are no formal maximum speed limits for non-motorway special roads, so one would like to think that those actually involved with the project should be aware of this quirk also.

Then again, could just be a simple error by a contractor in the chain, which probably wouldn't have been helped by the Carillion situation. If this is the case, then to me this translates to EVERY DAY'S A TRACK DAY!!!!!! :lol: :beer: :drink:
Ye May Gang Far And Fare Waur
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Holyrood transport update on the BBC:
Tory MSP Peter Chapman asks if the completion date for the AWPR remains May 2018.

Economy Secretary Keith Brown says some roads will be opened earlier than May 2018.

Mr Brown says the contractor have a big incentive to do this and discussions are ongoing.

"We are not able to give a definitive date."
"Some roads" - Balmedie to Tipperty perhaps? I can't see the AWPR itself being partially-opened (in that it would be undesirable to, say, dump all traffic from the south on the A944 and expect it to use local roads to make it back to the A90). Although if they could open it between the A944 and the A96 that would be handy for me at times!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote:Holyrood transport update on the BBC:
Tory MSP Peter Chapman asks if the completion date for the AWPR remains May 2018.

Economy Secretary Keith Brown says some roads will be opened earlier than May 2018.

Mr Brown says the contractor have a big incentive to do this and discussions are ongoing.

"Some roads" - Balmedie to Tipperty perhaps? I can't see the AWPR itself being partially-opened (in that it would be undesirable to, say, dump all traffic from the south on the A944 and expect it to use local roads to make it back to the A90). Although if they could open it between the A944 and the A96 that would be handy for me at times!
Anytime after 16th May and before 1st October will suit me fine... outwith the Winter Service period.
Save having to update Route Cards and recalculate tonnage and timings every time a new slip road opens. :roll:
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

Great photos once again.

Totally love your Flickr site!
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

orudge wrote:Holyrood transport update on the BBC:

Looking at the Don crossing, I'm inclined to say that getting the whole bypass open before spring is out would appear to be highly optimistic. Perhaps if the road is complete from Craibstone to Charleston/Stonehaven they could think about opening this stretch?

B-T on the other hand should be ready within the next couple of months at the most.
C83

Post by C83 »

Why have they used the lattix posts on the sign which is halfway up the embankment, but solid metal posts on the 3/2/1 countdown markers which are much closer to the road and therefore more likely to be hit by vehicles?
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

C83 wrote:
Why have they used the lattix posts on the sign which is halfway up the embankment, but solid metal posts on the 3/2/1 countdown markers which are much closer to the road and therefore more likely to be hit by vehicles?
Maybe if there was an impact with one of the posts it would more likely give way when compared to a collision with a box lattice post?

Hope they're not waiting for the new AECC to open before the AWPR finally welcomes traffic? It's not due to open until at least next year.

Also might as well give an honourable mention to the non-regulation blue cone!