Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ronnie

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by Ronnie »

From the photos I’ve seen and the few I’ve seen in real life the signage is just awful.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Apparently there will be a family fun weekend on the 8th/9th September taking place "on the new AWPR in the River Dee valley on the boundary between Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire".

"There will also be unique opportunities for cyclists of a wide range of abilities to experience the road before strategic traffic begins using it in earnest and cyclists get to enjoy the benefits of less congested city roads."

Still no further information on actual opening dates beyond "sections opening to traffic over the summer when they are ready for use."

Although I've just found this suggesting that the Goval - Blackdog section will be open "next month".
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

orudge wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 14:26 Apparently there will be a family fun weekend on the 8th/9th September taking place "on the new AWPR in the River Dee valley on the boundary between Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire".

"There will also be unique opportunities for cyclists of a wide range of abilities to experience the road before strategic traffic begins using it in earnest and cyclists get to enjoy the benefits of less congested city roads."

Still no further information on actual opening dates beyond "sections opening to traffic over the summer when they are ready for use."

Although I've just found this suggesting that the Goval - Blackdog section will be open "next month".

Blackdog - Goval looks good to go now - why the need to hold back for at least another month?

Interesting that cyclists are being permitted to play on the road prior to the grand official opening. Don't be surprised if they claim in no uncertain terms that they should be allowed to cycle here permanently on the basis that a precedent had been set a few days prior to the official opening of the road.
Ye May Gang Far And Fare Waur
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 20:47Interesting that cyclists are being permitted to play on the road prior to the grand official opening. Don't be surprised if they claim in no uncertain terms that they should be allowed to cycle here permanently on the basis that a precedent had been set a few days prior to the official opening of the road.
If you hunt around on Twitter you can find a few examples of folk out cycling on the route in the past few weeks. Guessing there was nobody around with a big stick ordering them off!

I've still not seen any "NO" signs to enforce the Special Road restrictions near otherwise apparently-completed junctions. Maybe they're waiting until the actual opening before installing them...

Also, some nice snippets of aerial footage on the new AWPR "Go North East" site, and promises of dashcam footage when section of the road open.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 20:47
orudge wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 14:26 Apparently there will be a family fun weekend on the 8th/9th September taking place "on the new AWPR in the River Dee valley on the boundary between Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire".

Blackdog - Goval looks good to go now - why the need to hold back for at least another month?

Interesting that cyclists are being permitted to play on the road prior to the grand official opening. Don't be surprised if they claim in no uncertain terms that they should be allowed to cycle here permanently on the basis that a precedent had been set a few days prior to the official opening of the road.
I cycled along the M74 in Glasgow before it opened but I've never seen any cyclists on it since then...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Altnabreac wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 09:57I cycled along the M74 in Glasgow before it opened but I've never seen any cyclists on it since then...
There were some during the Glasgow commonwealth games weren't there?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 20:47Blackdog - Goval looks good to go now - why the need to hold back for at least another month
Word is that it was supposed to open last week but they discovered shortly beforehand that the sides of a cutting that was blasted through a hill halfway along that section are too steep. They’re now looking at installing wire netting on those banks.

There are temporary direction signs sitting to the side of the A90 near the Blackdog junction ready to be erected that direct traffic heading to airport and Dyce up the slip roads which does suggest that they were preparing to open this.
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

There have been plenty of comments on this thread about the signs but one thing that is consistent is the reference to the AWPR on signs as “A90 North” and “A90 South”. This isn’t just on the signs on the route itself. Below is a new sign erected on a road near one of the new junctions which has both A90 and A90 South in brackets. Why not list Dundee, Peterhead and Fraserburgh with A90 in brackets next to them?

Also, the sign at diverge of the southbound offslip at Blackdog says “A90 South” rather than just “A90” so it seems to be a conscious decision to do this. Does anyone have any idea why they would do this?
24A38D7C-89BD-4B9F-8997-A46981A10D1D.jpeg
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

It seems they’re using it as if “A90 South” is a destination of its own, rather than using Stonehaven/Dundee. I don’t know why though. It also leads to ridiculousness like the Cleanhill roundabout signs that say “Stonehaven A90” for the southbound exit but “(A90 North)” for the northbound exit. When of course it should be “Peterhead A90” along with Aberdeen (N, C), etc.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

orudge wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 21:20 It seems they’re using it as if “A90 South” is a destination of its own, rather than using Stonehaven/Dundee. I don’t know why though. It also leads to ridiculousness like the Cleanhill roundabout signs that say “Stonehaven A90” for the southbound exit but “(A90 North)” for the northbound exit. When of course it should be “Peterhead A90” along with Aberdeen (N, C), etc.
And while Stonehaven is near the southern end of the AWPR, it is not a primary destination. The signed destination for southbound A90 traffic should be Dundee. The signed destinations for northbound traffic should be Aberdeen (N, W or C), Peterhead and/or Fraserburgh, and Inverness (A96).
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Basically someone who doesn't understand what signs are meant to do has designed it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

What a confusing mess.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The Evening Express has “revealed” that the A90 through Aberdeen is to become the A92, and that it will be detrunked. The actual news seems to be that it’ll be detrunked on the 1st of April next year.
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

orudge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 20:00 The Evening Express has “revealed” that the A90 through Aberdeen is to become the A92, and that it will be detrunked. The actual news seems to be that it’ll be detrunked on the 1st of April next year.
I assume that the A92 to the south of Charleston will come under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, presumably on the same date. Should save them a bit on next year's winter maintenance bill!
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:02 Basically someone who doesn't understand what signs are meant to do has designed it.
Could the contractors not have hired one single person who was at least kind of familiar with the TSGRD requirements?
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

SuperLez wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:20 I assume that the A92 to the south of Charleston will come under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, presumably on the same date. Should save them a bit on next year's winter maintenance bill!
I assume so, too.

Technically, it looks like there will also be a tiny sliver of the A92 to the north of the city under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, between Blackdog Burn and the Blackdog junction itself. The road to the north of that would be maintained by Aberdeen Roads Limited, and to the south by Aberdeen City Council. One presumes that Aberdeenshire will come to some kind of agreement for one of those two other parties to maintain it (at least for winter maintenance). That, or they'd just have to send a gritter up/down to do 300m of technically unconnected road!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

SuperLez wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:20
orudge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 20:00 The Evening Express has “revealed” that the A90 through Aberdeen is to become the A92, and that it will be detrunked. The actual news seems to be that it’ll be detrunked on the 1st of April next year.
I assume that the A92 to the south of Charleston will come under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, presumably on the same date. Should save them a bit on next year's winter maintenance bill!
No, it will remain trunk.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 23:40
SuperLez wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 21:20 I assume that the A92 to the south of Charleston will come under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, presumably on the same date. Should save them a bit on next year's winter maintenance bill!
I assume so, too.

Technically, it looks like there will also be a tiny sliver of the A92 to the north of the city under the control of Aberdeenshire Council, between Blackdog Burn and the Blackdog junction itself. The road to the north of that would be maintained by Aberdeen Roads Limited, and to the south by Aberdeen City Council. One presumes that Aberdeenshire will come to some kind of agreement for one of those two other parties to maintain it (at least for winter maintenance). That, or they'd just have to send a gritter up/down to do 300m of technically unconnected road!
I’m not sure about that short bit at Blackdog. It falls under Aberdeen Roads Limited at present.
We have lots of overlap areas on the network which are treated on a quit pro quo basis.

BEAR has two trunk road treatment routes in Aberdeen which are done under a long-standing partnership with Aberdeen City Council.

Changes to the Winter Service in Aberdeen won’t really kick in until the 2019/20 Winter Season.

If anyone wants to buy an 8x4 Mercedes, Econ ZeroC with pre-wet... :laugh: