Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by wrinkly »

When I first saw that caption I wondered whether it was the name of the road or your description of the picture! I'd never noticed before that there's a place called Blacktop.

The road name (as distinct from the place name) is shown on OSM but not on Google, Bing or streetmap.co.uk.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote:
B9127 wrote:I think that the sign is trying to differeniate between A90 South i.e Dundee etc and Aberdeen (S) meaning Cove and the harbour area and they have made a dogs breakfast of it - probably should read A90 on a small plate covering M90 Dundee and Edinburgh with the turn off as Aberedeen Harbour and Cove
You might be right about the message it's trying to communicate, but I'm not sure I understand why it should have A90 on a cover plate with "M90" underneath it? The sign will be some 80 miles distant from the nearest part of the M90 so signposting the motorway from there would be absurd.
You say that, Chris, but "(M90)" appears at the existing A90/A956 junction: https://goo.gl/maps/bvyujiajZ6H2
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

A relatively recent development (well, sometime between 2008 and 2011) - the previous sign evidently had (A94) in a patch and referred to Forfar, Dundee and Perth. Of course that sign will be replaced again now so it'll be interesting to see if they keep the Edinburgh destination.

Presumably the sign will be something along the lines of "Dundee, Perth A92 (A90)" - whether they'd want to stick an additional bracketed destination on there I'm not sure.
FurryBoots

Post by FurryBoots »

B9127 wrote:I think that the sign is trying to differeniate between A90 South i.e Dundee etc and Aberdeen (S) meaning Cove and the harbour area and they have made a dogs breakfast of it - probably should read A90 on a small plate covering M90 Dundee and Edinburgh with the turn off as Aberedeen Harbour and Cove
That may have been the intention but why would you differentiate between the routes like that? When you get to the roundabout between the A90 and A956, the signage for the roundabout will make it clear where to go.

If you were to differentiate on that fork sign then surely you would simply put (A956) next to the appropriate destinations.

As for the lack of primary destinations such as Dundee on the sign, I note that the sign appears to be just before the diverge. Perhaps the previous fork signs have Dundee etc. on them. Still, it is an odd sign.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Also...
Attachments
A90AWPR.jpg
Bryn

Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

And why Dundee & Forfar exactly?

They are the next two Primary Destinations along the A90, but I personally would be better to do the Forward Destinations a bit differently.

Initially, my idea was to put the next main PD (Forfar is a PD but it isn't a major one, so I'd go with Dundee in this case) with the next Superprimary Destination (though Edinburgh would look a tad odd as the FD at this point, could always go on the RCSs though).

For the FDs, I'd most likely go with Dundee & Perth.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

McNessA720 wrote:And why Dundee & Forfar exactly?

They are the next two Primary Destinations along the A90, but I personally would be better to do the Forward Destinations a bit differently.

Initially, my idea was to put the next main PD (Forfar is a PD but it isn't a major one, so I'd go with Dundee in this case) with the next Superprimary Destination (though Edinburgh would look a tad odd as the FD at this point, could always go on the RCSs though).

Edinburgh appearing on fork signs almost as soon as you leave Aberdeen is somewhat premature. On that basis, Edinburgh should also be signed on the A9 from Inverness, but as I remember it, Edinburgh only appears on ADS on the A9 when you reach the outskirts of Perth itself. I would not start to include Edinburgh on ADS and fork signs until you reach Dundee.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

That is mostly the case to be fair. They start to appear a bit more often south of Forfar, but are the exception rather than the norm north of there. Edinburgh does appear on (at least some) route confirmation signs of course.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:

Edinburgh appearing on fork signs almost as soon as you leave Aberdeen is somewhat premature. On that basis, Edinburgh should also be signed on the A9 from Inverness, but as I remember it, Edinburgh only appears on ADS on the A9 when you reach the outskirts of Perth itself. I would not start to include Edinburgh on ADS and fork signs until you reach Dundee.
That is how Edinburgh is signed at present.

I wasn't advocating that we start having Edinburgh on Fork Signs from Aberdeen.

I would, however, put Edinburgh on the Route Confirmation Signs, as the next Superprimary Destination on the A90/M90.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Press release

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a90 ... emolition/
Subject to weather conditions, the contractor for the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route/Balmedie to Tipperty (AWPR/B-T) project is expecting to demolish the ‘old’ bridge carrying the A956 over the A90 at Charleston next weekend.

To enable the bridge to be demolished safely, the A90 will be subject to a full closure from around 8pm on Friday 3 November 2017 until around 6am on Monday 6 November 2017. A number of sign-posted diversions will be in operation throughout this period, during which time the new Charleston Bridge will be closed for use, and the use of both the C5K and Wellington Road will be restricted to minimise conflicting movements.

These closures and restrictions are expected to have a significant impact on travel in and around the surrounding area and drivers are advised to consider their journey to avoid the A90 and A956 at Charleston, if possible.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Re M90 with an A90 cover plate I was being sarcastic as it would save time in the future when the whole route becomes a motorway lol. Could Edinburgh and M90 being signed so far north be due to the number of European trucks having a familiar name to aim for?
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

FurryBoots wrote:As for the lack of primary destinations such as Dundee on the sign, I note that the sign appears to be just before the diverge. Perhaps the previous fork signs have Dundee etc. on them. Still, it is an odd sign.
That would be even wronger. On a standard fork sign, there should be NO forward destinations in the 1mile and ½mile signs, they only appear on the final approach sign.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Stevie D wrote:
FurryBoots wrote:As for the lack of primary destinations such as Dundee on the sign, I note that the sign appears to be just before the diverge. Perhaps the previous fork signs have Dundee etc. on them. Still, it is an odd sign.
That would be even wronger. On a standard fork sign, there should be NO forward destinations in the 1mile and ½mile signs, they only appear on the final approach sign.
Which is the case for several signs on the M74.

The 1 mile signs show only the road number(s) that can be accessed from the junction.

The ½ signs give the number(s) & a destination (or a number of destinations) that can be reached along the roads in question.

The final approach signs include the Forward Destination which is Glasgow on the northbound & Carlisle on the southbound.

As I said, that's not the case along the whole '74, only certain sections.

It's a better way of doing things, in my view.
- Richard Nixon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The route number only on 1 mile signs was standard before 1994. Since then the 1 mile sign should have destinations and a number if applicable.
Bryn

Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Stevie D wrote:
Until Junction 34 on the M6 was remodelled, you had two very unusual ADS signs at the 1 mile and 1/2 mile points travelling north, where Kendal was shown as a forward destination on the M6 in addition to the destinations reached on the A683. Bizarrely, when you reached the "fork" sign (which was really a "floppy") the forward destination had become "The LAKES, Carlisle".
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:

Forfar and Dundee were chosen on the basis that they are the following two primary destinations, nothing more, nothing less. The majority of signs on the A90 of course list these two.
Bryn

orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Warning AWPR work may not be finished until April

"Aberdeenshire Council’s infrastructure director Stephen Archer revealed the £745million AWPR had an estimated completion date of the “second quarter” of next year." Transport Scotland say that the target date is "winter 2017/18", so by March, in theory.

The article seems to be getting confused between the AWPR and the B-T dualling - "The road was initially supposed to open winter this time last year but was delayed by 12 months as contractors Aberdeen Roads Limited (ARL) had failed to complete crucial earthworks in time for winter." presumably refers to Balmedie to Tipperty, as the bypass itself was never due to be open until now-ish.

Somebody from Transport Scotland says "where practical, the contractor will continue to open sections of the new route as they become available for use". It'd be nice if we could drive between, say, Kingswells and the airport now, but I don't see them opening the road in a piecemeal fashion.
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

It's not going to be completed in the second quarter of this year, unless they use a loose definition of the word that actually means there's six months of work outstanding.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Winter 2017/18 is a bit loose as winter can be up to June when summer arrives for its usual week
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year