Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by Euan »

green light wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 15:06 Open Street Map is probably the best for road mapping:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/57.1601/-2.2110
I noticed that within the last couple of days, OSM are very good at keeping up to date when new roads are opened.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

orudge wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 19:59 Incidentally, it’s now 12 years(!) since this topic was started, and 15 years since the current project was first announced. At the time, it was due to cost only £120m!
… And almost 9 years to the day since the plans were fully approved by the Scottish Government:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 424142.stm

The BBC article dating from December 2009 suggests that the construction of the bypass could potentially have been started as early as 2011, so under that plan a completion date of ~2015? I would imagine that when the project was announced in 2003 it was probably expected to have been finished within the early part of the 2010s had it not been for the large levels of opposition to the project at the time.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
green light

Post by green light »

Euan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 22:26
orudge wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 19:59 Incidentally, it’s now 12 years(!) since this topic was started, and 15 years since the current project was first announced. At the time, it was due to cost only £120m!
… And almost 9 years to the day since the plans were fully approved by the Scottish Government:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 424142.stm

The BBC article dating from December 2009 suggests that the construction of the bypass could potentially have been started as early as 2011, so under that plan a completion date of ~2015? I would imagine that when the project was announced in 2003 it was probably expected to have been finished within the early part of the 2010s had it not been for the large levels of opposition to the project at the time.
Well, I suppose as the old saying goes:

Better late than never

:mrgreen:
green light

Post by green light »

Euan wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 22:14
green light wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 15:06 Open Street Map is probably the best for road mapping:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/57.1601/-2.2110
I noticed that within the last couple of days, OSM are very good at keeping up to date when new roads are opened.
I think this is probably due to the way OSM works a bit like Wikipedia, the data is updated by volunteers.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Confirmation that the Craibstone to Goval section will not be open until January:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-46632238

It seems as though the Transport Minister was right to be sceptical about the proposed pre-Christmas opening date.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

At the moment if you are driving north from south of Stonehaven and heading into the Aberdeen railway Station area are you quicker using the now old A90 rather than the by-pass
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Burns

Post by Burns »

B9127 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 20:45 At the moment if you are driving north from south of Stonehaven and heading into the Aberdeen railway Station area are you quicker using the now old A90 rather than the by-pass
Unless I'm misreading your post, the station is in the city centre so taking the A92 into Aberdeen makes complete sense.
Euan

Post by Euan »

B9127 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 20:45 At the moment if you are driving north from south of Stonehaven and heading into the Aberdeen railway Station area are you quicker using the now old A90 rather than the by-pass
I would expect the A92 to be quicker at reaching Aberdeen from Stonehaven than the Aberdeen bypass. Do you mean that the A92 route is quicker than the bypass followed by the A956 or the bypass followed by the A944?
Gordon_M

Post by Gordon_M »

A944 is now a bit painful heading into the city. Bypass & A944 I think now only really works if you are accessing Westhill or Kingswells, as though traffic seems down to a crawl at busy periods.

Bypass and A93 seems quite painless but there are some extra miles involved if you are going into the city.

Anderson Drive and Haudagain are now relatively good, but in peak periods travel into the city is still a crawl from Bucksburn until you are actually on Anderson Drive.

I'm in Dyce at the minute, and after work I'm going to drive round north of the airport to see what equipment is left at the Don Bridge

Later, in another part of the Aberdeen forest ...

I can confirm that all the heavy equipment seems to be gone from the Don bridge, just a few fences and huts left. I'd guess opening it now is just logistics as there's no way you'd bring heavy equipment back to that site after Christmas.
Last edited by Gordon_M on Sat Dec 22, 2018 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Thanks for the info
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Gordon_M

Post by Gordon_M »

Google Maps now recognises the AWPR A90 as an option on the Stonehaven to Dyce route, so that's good. :)

What is less good is that it says the 19.5 miles will take you 57 minutes, so they seem to think it has a 20mph limit. :roll:
Euan

Post by Euan »

Gordon_M wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 08:46 Google Maps now recognises the AWPR A90 as an option on the Stonehaven to Dyce route, so that's good. :)

What is less good is that it says the 19.5 miles will take you 57 minutes, so they seem to think it has a 20mph limit. :roll:
I have done a test on Google for a route between Stonehaven and Peterculter, but it is recommending the B979 instead of the AWPR. As a second preference, it is suggesting taking the A92 to Kincorth followed by the B9077 along South Deeside, so does not seem to recognise the southern part of the AWPR yet.

Does your route between Stonehaven and Dyce use the AWPR north of the A93 only? A similar journey that I have tested on Google gives a potential route first along the B979 from Stonehaven to Peterculter and along the A90 for the rest of the route to Craibstone. It seems like only the section north of the A93 is currently registered by Google.
Gordon_M

Post by Gordon_M »

Euan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 09:17 Does your route between Stonehaven and Dyce use the AWPR north of the A93 only?
No, it was pretty much all AWPR with a couple of wiggles at the airport end. I've no idea where they get that timing.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

A lorry has lodged itself in the Cleanhill roundabout already:

https://twitter.com/polscotroadsne/stat ... 57249?s=21

No doubt it won’t be the first, either...
havaska_uk

Post by havaska_uk »

This roundabout annoys me no end.

We seem to have a need to ruin every high quality road with a bloody roundabout!

Why they couldn't just add some limited access slips I don't know.
Euan

Post by Euan »

orudge wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 13:26 A lorry has lodged itself in the Cleanhill roundabout already:

Oh dear...

Eventually there might be a push to grade-separate the junction, but I suspect it will take far more than a single incident to make the possibility seem more appealing.
A9Craig

Post by A9Craig »

orudge wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 13:26 A lorry has lodged itself in the Cleanhill roundabout already:

Had my first run on the AWPR this morning and saw the lorry. There was a car that had skidded onto the roundabout too. Low sun a factor perhaps? Can't recall any rumble strips on the s/b approach to Cleanhill, which would seem odd for a roundabout on a high quality 70mph D2 if so.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Time to impose a 50mph limit on all the approaches enforced by Specs :@

Perhaps I shouldn't jerk my knee so soon.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

From the photo the police tweeted low Sun could well be a factor. Is that factored into design at all ?