Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IAN

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by IAN »

If VibeOne had been talking about a road in England or Wales he would have probably have been right! (e.g. Newport Relief Road, Stonehenge tunnel).

You can, of course quote this post back to me if/when these schemes are completed!

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Queeg wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 08:22 The time saving is incredible, I managed Mintlaw to Stonehaven in 45 minutes yesterday, at peak time.
That is astonishing and really excellent!
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Euan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 16:28
Truvelo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 15:16 Looking a couple of posts down from VibeOne's comments there's this comment made by C83.
Currently there are either planned or strongly suggested by the exec/transport scotland:

A8000 replacement
A68 Dalkeith Bypass
A8 Upgrade to M8
A80 Upgrade to M80
Aberdeen Bypass
Kincardine Bridge and western bypass
M74 extension
Aren't all these open now. That's something I can never see happening south of the border.
As of February 2019 yes they are all complete now. Out of the seven road projects listed five of them were complete by 2011 which is even more astonishing. Having said that the two which were completed later may have been the two that were needed most.
I think on a very small technicality they aren't quite all complete.

At that point in 2006 the Upper Forth Crossing project included a plan to completely close the Kincardine Bridge once the Clackmannanshire bridge was complete and carry out a programme of refurbishment on it with traffic diverted through Kincardine to use the new Clackmannanshire Bridge.

Subsequently the plan was changed to allow the Kincardine Bridge refurbishment works to be carried out in a series of smaller interventions that would allow the bridge to remain open, in case it was required as a diversionary route for the Forth Road Bridge.

My understanding is that Phase 6 of 7 of the refurbishment was completed back in December 2018
http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/169 ... ven-weeks/

I don't think that Phase 7 is underway yet though so there is technically one small element outstanding from those 7 schemes listed :D
HandShandy

Re: Re:

Post by HandShandy »

Bertiebus wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 20:39
Smugness is such an ugly trait and waiting to be smug even uglier. It's far classier to just let things lie. Have you two never been wrong about anything, ever? :roll:
Oh calm down! I was only being lighthearted because I had the ability to quote an ancient post and make a funny point about it. It was hardly something that was bothering me every day up until the road opened. You should examine your own smugness with a patronising post like that.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
IAN

Post by IAN »

Now that the route is fully operational can users say if the Cleanhill roundabout and Stonehaven junction are causing any congestion issues or are the traffic flow (if not safety) fears unjustified in reality?

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Somebody posted a photo on Facebook of traffic backing up onto the A90 northbound at Stonehaven recently, but I’ve not heard it mentioned on the radio for instance. The congestion mainly seems to be around junctions on the A944, A96, A947 etc.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

IAN wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 18:39 Now that the route is fully operational can users say if the Cleanhill roundabout and Stonehaven junction are causing any congestion issues or are the traffic flow (if not safety) fears unjustified in reality?

Ian (M5 Driver)
The only time I’ve been over it at peak time it seemed to be ok, no hold up and I got across quickly. I appreciate it was only the once though so not enough to form a full opinion.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me!

But it'll help.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Came across this report from the organisation responsible for the AWPR’s signage, and the planned changes to the city’s signage:

http://www.starconference.org.uk/star/2018/Duck.pdf

Looks like we’ll be getting lots of signs in the city pointing to “(A90 North & South)” and suchlike. :shock:
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Screenshot_20190317-124802-1024x825.png
That's just stupid. "A90 North & South" is completely meaningless without any destinations.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:51 Screenshot_20190317-124802-1024x825.png

That's just stupid. "A90 North & South" is completely meaningless without any destinations.
I would have signed Dundee and Fraserburgh instead.
Euan

Post by Euan »

If anything it will take more time to analyse a sign saying "A90 South" than "Dundee A90". I'm sure that a lot of drivers coming from Aberdeen will be going to Dundee, or if they are continuing to Edinburgh or Glasgow they will know that they will be passing Dundee on their journey. There will be extra thinking time required by people to realise that Dundee is south of Aberdeen and not north, but with the amount of time varying from driver to driver of course.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

That's all it needed, instead of making a pigs ear out of something so simple.

Parkway sign.png
si404

Post by si404 »

Aren't the primary destinations on the A90 either side of Aberdeen technically Peterhead and Forfar? or is there now an updated list that SABRE hasn't seen?
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Not going to cast aspersions but it isn't the first time AECOM have made a sow's ear of traffic sign reviews.

I particularly like the references to LTN 1/94 as none of those signs are actually following any of the guidance laid out in it. Or Chapter 7.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Fraserburgh and Peterhead are the destinations to the North on existing signs.
Most directions to the South have both Perth and Dundee as the destinations, nobody is going to be looking for Forfar as the destination to follow to go South.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Glen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:51 Screenshot_20190317-124802-1024x825.png

I beg to differ - why?? You’re obviously on a connector route at that point, the sign is telling you to turn right to move towards the A90.

It doesn’t matter which way you’re going at that point. The direction is to turn towards the A90. If you need to take time to find your bearings/reprogram your sat-nav, you have to pull over, or take a break.
si404

Post by si404 »

Glen wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 18:59Fraserburgh and Peterhead are the destinations to the North on existing signs.
Indeed, but if only one, wouldn't it technically be Peterhead as the next one?
Most directions to the South have both Perth and Dundee as the destinations, nobody is going to be looking for Forfar as the destination to follow to go South.
Sure, but is the signage:
a) ignoring the next primary destination, and thus technically incorrect?
or
b) correct, with Forfar not being a primary destination anymore thanks to an updated-from-'94 list SABRE hasn't seen?

Personally I'd drop Forfar, due to the way Scotland does primary destinations elsewhere (for consistency), but my question was more about primary destinations and how they should be signed, rather than should Forfar be signed.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Euan

Post by Euan »

Aren't the primary destinations those whose names are highlighted in green on OS 250k maps?

For instance, Crianlarich despite only being a very small village is highlighted in green while the much larger Dunfermline is not. If this is the case then Forfar would be a primary destination, as would Montrose and Arbroath which are not even on the Scottish trunk road network.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
green light

Post by green light »

Another accident on Cleanhill roundabout!

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... oundabout/
Two cars have collided at a notorious roundabout on the AWPR.

The incident happened in the southbound lane of the A90 at the Cleanhill Roundabout.

Police officers were called to the scene at 5.45pm.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Two vehicles collided at the roundabout.

“There was no injuries and the road is not blocked.”

The accident is the latest happen at the AWPR junction.

Earlier this month two people were taken to hospital after a lorry and dump truck crashed at the same rondabout.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

There seems to be about one a week at least, sometimes more. I’m not entirely sure why! Supposedly the last one involved people trying to turn left from lane 2 (heading south on the A90 turning onto the A956), colliding with folk trying to go ahead in lane 1.