Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Euan

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by Euan »

SuperLez wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 18:48 FINALLY!
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... next-week/

The final part of the bypass is to open next week. Exact date still to be announced.
Hopefully now the new road between Blackdog and Goval will become a bit more useful - up until now it has been completely isolated from the rest of the bypass which on its own hasn't been much use.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Euan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 08:26
SuperLez wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 18:48 FINALLY!
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... next-week/

The final part of the bypass is to open next week. Exact date still to be announced.
Hopefully now the new road between Blackdog and Goval will become a bit more useful - up until now it has been completely isolated from the rest of the bypass which on its own hasn't been much use.
Here we are - official confirmation that it will open on Tuesday.

Not sure why this was published on a Sunday - seems a bit odd - it just popped up in my Twitter feed.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/ful ... n-tuesday/
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Good to see the contractors appear to have finally accepted some level of responsibility for the way forward. Let's face it, the ScotGov hasn't the money to be effectively performing business charity by accepting the financial liability if the bridge is going to turn into a saga.
Euan

Post by Euan »

E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Gordon_M

Post by Gordon_M »

This thread dates from May 2006 to February 2019 ( so far ... ) twelve years and nine months.

Thanks to all who have contributed, and I doubt we are done yet as I can see the Stonehaven junction, Cleanhill roundabout, and Don bridge being ongoing topics for a while.

Had a drive up the Kingswells North, northbound on ramp today to celebrate. :D
novaecosse

Re:

Post by novaecosse »

VibeOne wrote: Tue May 02, 2006 14:01 that is one massive amount of new build road.

wont happen.
I’m just chuckling at the 3rd post in this thread :lol:
IAN

Post by IAN »

Maybe time to amend the title of the thread from 'Announced' to 'Open'.

Ian (M5 Driver)
AKA M5 Driver
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Blackdog to Craibstone Dashcam Footage:
On morning of opening of full AWPR route including the delayed River Don bridge

Westbound (Blackdog A92/A90 to Craibstone A96):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V4o6ZKkwBA

Eastbound (Craibstone A96 to Blackdog A92/A90):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVJk7mJ5rTM

Full album of construction photos from 2015: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iainh124a ... 7649458723
Euan

Post by Euan »

On the news last night I noticed that they were talking to motorists coming from north Aberdeenshire and heading down south using the new section of road. One of them said that it cut an hour off of the journey time which sounds like a very big improvement indeed. Presumably they must have been doing quite a lot of travelling through Aberdeen during the rush hour before this.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

The time saving is incredible, I managed Mintlaw to Stonehaven in 45 minutes yesterday, at peak time.
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me!

But it'll help.
Euan

Post by Euan »

OpenStreetMap has been updated very quickly to show the last section of the road fully open, but only at closer zoom levels. Meanwhile OS mapping is yet to show the majority of the road open...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The OS tend to update on the basis of the relevant sections if the National Street Gazeteer being completed - they wait for the official paperwork whereas OSM is designed to rely on those in the field to update as appropriate with relevant sense checks.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

Google maps has updated today but it refuses to route you over the Don bridge....
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

It leads to the curious position where, of the three major Scottish cities, Edinburgh and Aberdeen have an HQDC bypass round the urban area, but not through the inner/central area, whereas Glasgow has the reverse.
HandShandy

Re: Re:

Post by HandShandy »

novaecosse wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 18:26
VibeOne wrote: Tue May 02, 2006 14:01 that is one massive amount of new build road.

wont happen.
You beat me to it. I was waiting nearly 10 years to make a remark on that old post. Too bad "VibeOne" is banned so he/she can't come back to eat their words.

Anyway, happy new bypass to the good people of North East Scotland! It's long overdue and I am thoroughly looking forward to driving on it later in the year. I hope this thread stays alive somewhat so that locals from the area can report on journey time savings and any issues with the dodgy junctions that might arise.
Explore the history of the trunk roads and motorways of Glasgow and the West of Scotland at Glasgows-Motorways.co.uk
Follow us on twitter: @GlasgowsMways
Check out our Facebook page: Glasgow Motorway Archive
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Looking a couple of posts down from VibeOne's comments there's this comment made by C83.
Currently there are either planned or strongly suggested by the exec/transport scotland:

A8000 replacement
A68 Dalkeith Bypass
A8 Upgrade to M8
A80 Upgrade to M80
Aberdeen Bypass
Kincardine Bridge and western bypass
M74 extension
Aren't all these open now. That's something I can never see happening south of the border.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Euan

Post by Euan »

WHBM wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 14:14 It leads to the curious position where, of the three major Scottish cities, Edinburgh and Aberdeen have an HQDC bypass round the urban area, but not through the inner/central area, whereas Glasgow has the reverse.
Inner Glasgow was being extensively redeveloped around the time of the arrival of motorways, hardly any of that was happening in Aberdeen or Edinburgh. All of the tenement housing being brought down in Glasgow would have served as the perfect opportunity to build a brand new urban motorway with temporarily unoccupied land. If the Glasgow M8 had not been built at that time it would never have been built.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 15:16 Looking a couple of posts down from VibeOne's comments there's this comment made by C83.
Currently there are either planned or strongly suggested by the exec/transport scotland:

A8000 replacement
A68 Dalkeith Bypass
A8 Upgrade to M8
A80 Upgrade to M80
Aberdeen Bypass
Kincardine Bridge and western bypass
M74 extension
Aren't all these open now. That's something I can never see happening south of the border.
As of February 2019 yes they are all complete now. Out of the seven road projects listed five of them were complete by 2011 which is even more astonishing. Having said that the two which were completed later may have been the two that were needed most.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

WHBM wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 14:14 It leads to the curious position where, of the three major Scottish cities, Edinburgh and Aberdeen have an HQDC bypass round the urban area, but not through the inner/central area, whereas Glasgow has the reverse.
There is another major city - its called Dundee
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
Bertiebus

Re: Re:

Post by Bertiebus »

HandShandy wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 15:06
novaecosse wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 18:26

wont happen.
You beat me to it. I was waiting nearly 10 years to make a remark on that old post. Too bad "VibeOne" is banned so he/she can't come back to eat their words
Smugness is such an ugly trait and waiting to be smug even uglier. It's far classier to just let things lie. Have you two never been wrong about anything, ever? :roll:

The AWPR was necessary and I like it because it cuts 20 minutes off my drive to Dyce. But I don't envy those living in the countryside west of Aberdeen who had a nice quiet life until it was built.