Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

orudge
Site Manager

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by orudge »

Perhaps it’s just the lack of such signage (e.g. “emergency use only” signs) on the rest of the A90 that makes it novel!

The orders I referred to above can be found here.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

"NO" signs have been erected at the A944 junction, albeit greyed out for the moment. Hopefully won't be too long now until we can drive on the majority of the road.
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Recent AWPR Don Bridge update reported in Evening Express Evening Express (04/08/18):
A bridge on the new Aberdeen bypass is set to undergo repairs after defects were found.
Roads body Transport Scotland said “minor defects” were found on the crossing on the new bypass at Dyce, and work to fix them will take place.
The repairs will see concrete panels on the bridge replaced.
However, Transport Scotland said it will not add any extra cost to the project and would not give details on what the defects were.
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

orudge wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 09:09 "NO" signs have been erected at the A944 junction, albeit greyed out for the moment. Hopefully won't be too long now until we can drive on the majority of the road.
These signs are also up at Charleston, and these ones haven't been greyed out!

The 4 signs are Clearway, no pedestrians, no cycling and no horse drawn vehicles. The text prohibits motorcylces under 50cc, mopeds and animals.

There is no mention of tractors or learner drivers, even though these should be banned as per the regulations pertaining to roads that are open only to Classes I and II of traffic. Looks like it will be up to the courts or (heaven help us!) insurance companies to decide on the fate of drivers of these vehicles should the worst happen.
Last edited by SuperLez on Mon Aug 06, 2018 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Ye May Gang Far And Fare Waur
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

iainh124a wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:49 Recent AWPR Don Bridge update reported in Evening Express Evening Express (04/08/18):
A bridge on the new Aberdeen bypass is set to undergo repairs after defects were found.
Roads body Transport Scotland said “minor defects” were found on the crossing on the new bypass at Dyce, and work to fix them will take place.
The repairs will see concrete panels on the bridge replaced.
However, Transport Scotland said it will not add any extra cost to the project and would not give details on what the defects were.
So the Twitterati nailed this one! All well and good that the taxpayer isn't taking the hit for the repair. But this is bound to push the final completion date back a bit.
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

orudge wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 09:09 Hopefully won't be too long now until we can drive on the majority of the road.
Noticed today that the main northbound carriageway at Craibstone was coned off, with access for the off slip preserved. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement of some good news possibly as early as this week. Fingers crossed!
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:51 There is no mention of tractors or learner drivers, even though these should be banned as per the regulations pertaining to roads that are open only to Classes I and II of traffic. Looks like it will be up to the courts or (heaven help us!) insurance companies to decide on the fate of drivers of these vehicles should the worst happen.
This appears to be consistent with the A1 at Dunbar (which is also limited to class I and II traffic) - the signs there don’t mention L-drivers or tractors, etc.

Given the current publicity surrounding tractors etc on the AWPR, I wonder how long it’ll be before a farmer tries to take a tractor on it because “it doesn’t say not to on the sign”!
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 19:00
Noticed today that the main northbound carriageway at Craibstone was coned off, with access for the off slip preserved. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an announcement of some good news possibly as early as this week. Fingers crossed!
Would presume that they'd open it after the Community Event planned for 8th / 9th September since would be annoying for drivers to have this section open then close again shortly after for this event (but you never know).
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The NFU is still trying to get the "tractor ban" overturned, now asking Nicola Sturgeon to do so. I presume it is not straightforward legally for them to do so, though, and I very much hope it doesn't come to pass - there is really no need for tractors to be on the road, and they can still use all the old roads they used previously! It somewhat sounds to me like an opposition MSP trying to stir up trouble...

Another MSP is concerned about the state of the current A90 (I assume between Stonehaven and Aberdeen, although it doesn't say). However, if I'm not mistaken, the road between Stonehaven and Charleston will still be trunk, and it's only the section between the A956 and Blackdog that will be detrunked. Of course, if the road has been damaged, it should still be repaired, but I imagine that might be easier to do once the AWPR itself is open.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

SuperLez wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 18:51
orudge wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 09:09 "NO" signs have been erected at the A944 junction, albeit greyed out for the moment. Hopefully won't be too long now until we can drive on the majority of the road.
These signs are also up at Charleston, and these ones haven't been greyed out!

The 4 signs are Clearway, no pedestrians, no cycling and no horse drawn vehicles. The text prohibits motorcylces under 50cc, mopeds and animals.

There is no mention of tractors or learner drivers, even though these should be banned as per the regulations pertaining to roads that are open only to Classes I and II of traffic. Looks like it will be up to the courts or (heaven help us!) insurance companies to decide on the fate of drivers of these vehicles should the worst happen.
The one at Netherley Junction is up as well. I’ll get a photo of it tomorrow :wink:
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

orudge wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:05 The NFU is still trying to get the "tractor ban" overturned, now asking Nicola Sturgeon to do so. I presume it is not straightforward legally for them to do so, though, and I very much hope it doesn't come to pass - there is really no need for tractors to be on the road, and they can still use all the old roads they used previously! It somewhat sounds to me like an opposition MSP trying to stir up trouble...

Another MSP is concerned about the state of the current A90 (I assume between Stonehaven and Aberdeen, although it doesn't say). However, if I'm not mistaken, the road between Stonehaven and Charleston will still be trunk, and it's only the section between the A956 and Blackdog that will be detrunked. Of course, if the road has been damaged, it should still be repaired, but I imagine that might be easier to do once the AWPR itself is open.
For many years now, I have felt that the A90 between Newtonhill/Portlethen-Bridge of Dee is hardly an encouraging welcome to Aberdeen. Whilst the surface of the road is not that great in places, there should also be thought given to improving the roadside environment. Unkempt trees, vegetation, kerbsides that have disappeared under built up grit & of course the graffiti covered former Hillside Filling station hardly project a positive welcome to the city.
Mind you, there is still a lingering blue-bordered direction sign at the Portlethen junction slip road....

Murray Duncan
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

AWPR-BT Balmedie to Tipperty Now Fully Open (15.08.18)

Northbound:

Direct link

Southbound:

Direct link
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The P&J is still going on about the “tractor ban”, but they do have a photo of one of the restriction signs. It does seem a fair point that there isn’t an explicit “no tractors” or similar sign - I’m not sure how they’d be expected to be aware of the restrictions otherwise?

I’d suggest a green motorway sign with “A90” on it, given the restrictions would be the same as the M90, but presumably that would require legislation and an update to the Highway Code.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Should have had blue signs. Another reason why fudge does no one any favours .
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Here's one of the signs at the Stonehaven / Netherley junction roundabout:

August 2018: Southern end of A90 Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route (AWPR) at Stonehaven by Iain Henderson, on Flickr (Nextbase Dashcam Snapshot)
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 18:15 The P&J is still going on about the “tractor ban”, but they do have a photo of one of the restriction signs. It does seem a fair point that there isn’t an explicit “no tractors” or similar sign - I’m not sure how they’d be expected to be aware of the restrictions otherwise?

I’d suggest a green motorway sign with “A90” on it, given the restrictions would be the same as the M90, but presumably that would require legislation and an update to the Highway Code.
We have a process for authorising non-prescribed signs.

This isn’t a difficult problem to solve.

Post a Minimum Speed Limit of 30 or 40mph... job done!