Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SuperLez

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by SuperLez »

Gordon_M wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 19:29 Iain might just be doing more work on this than the Don Bridge builders.

As far as I can see, the whole thing is finished except the section across the Don, but they can't open it as someone needs to have a party first. :?
According to Transport Scotland there were some "minor defects" in some of the concrete panels on the bridge which means that some of them will have to be replaced. This shouldn't be a huge deal, but will obviously cost Balfour Beatty a bit to rectify.
Ye May Gang Far And Fare Waur
Gordon_M

Post by Gordon_M »

SuperLez wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 21:09
According to Transport Scotland there were some "minor defects" in some of the concrete panels on the bridge which means that some of them will have to be replaced. This shouldn't be a huge deal, but will obviously cost Balfour Beatty a bit to rectify.
As an inspection engineer, when I hear that, I always assume the worst. :D but then I translate: "just a few tickets left for this event" as "we've just sold the first ticket"

Is there anything specific left to be done on any of it, except for the section to and across the Don bridge?
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

From what I’ve seen, it looks like it’s hopefully just a case of waiting for this “road festival” next weekend and surely they can open the road south of the A96. The cones and signs are all in place for it to happen.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

orudge wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 17:22 Existing A90 to be renumbered A92 next week apparently:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... next-week/

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/awp ... next-week/
OSM have updated their mapping, and I see Owen has updated our Wiki (Thanks!).

This is in danger of veering wildly off-topic, but how many TOTSOs are there on the A90 now (when it finally opens)? I make it 5 and a couple of possibles:
Dundee - 1
Stonehaven - 1
Cleanhill - 1? debatable
Blackdog - 1 (replacing Bridge of Don)
Toll of Birness - ? Looks like it used to be before the A90 was extended north.
Peterhead - 2
Are there any other F99 routes with so many?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I've still to update the actual A90 page, but I've updated the A92 page, and most of the roads that the A92 now meets that it didn't meet before.

In terms of TOTSOs, I'd say there are:

South Queensferry (southbound only)
Dundee
Stonehaven
Blackdog
Peterhead x2

Cleanhill doesn't really strike me as a TOTSO, it looks more or less straight for A90 traffic. It's just an annoying roundabout!

Likewise, Toll of Birness isn't a TOTSO as the mainline traffic doesn't have to turn off - you get a clear run in both directions along the A90.

The A9 has a few TOTSOs. I'll exclude the various roundabouts in Falkirk and Stirling, some of which may be a bit TOTSO-y I'd say, and will start at the Keir Roundabout:

Keir Roundabout
Broxden Roundabout
Inveralmond Roundabout
B9175 roundabout
Meikle Ferry Roundabout (A9 / A836)
A9 / A99 (Latheron)
A9 / A882
A9 / A836 (Thurso)

Maybe a discussion to take to a new topic though. :)
paully

Post by paully »

Bing have updated their mapping to show the road as open, though the navigation part doesn't seem to use it yet.

Is there any talk of a reduced speed limit on the old A90? I have been expecting a 50 limit to be slapped on it from the "tight" bends at Bridge of Muchalls to the edge of the City.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

That section will still be a trunk road - I've not heard any talk about reducing the speed limit. I think novaecosse was saying on Twitter the other day that major repair works are likely to be needed there sooner or later though - easier to do of course once the AWPR is open.

I can imagine Aberdeen City Council potentially reducing the speed limit on their bits of the A92.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

SuperLez wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 21:09
Gordon_M wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 19:29 Iain might just be doing more work on this than the Don Bridge builders.

As far as I can see, the whole thing is finished except the section across the Don, but they can't open it as someone needs to have a party first. :?
There was a suggestion of an issue with the ducting for the post-tensioning cables and the possibility of over-stressing the concrete.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:51 That section will still be a trunk road - I've not heard any talk about reducing the speed limit. I think novaecosse was saying on Twitter the other day that major repair works are likely to be needed there sooner or later though - easier to do of course once the AWPR is open.

I can imagine Aberdeen City Council potentially reducing the speed limit on their bits of the A92.
The Ury Viaduct needs the waterproofing replaced
Findon isn’t looking too clever, and there’s a bit a Charlestown looks like someone’s demolished a bridge and scraped the road with a toothed bucket :laugh:
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

orudge wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 16:15 So this is where the Aberdeen branch office of SABRE has been hiding! :lol:

September 2018: Bridge over River Don for AWPR (Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route) Aberdeen bypass dual carriageway north of Dyce by Iain Henderson, on Flickr
It must have been on holiday in the West Midlands in June as I saw it on the M5 viaduct works!
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Had to nip into town today and saw the A92 patching in all its glory along Anderson Drive. Most of the signs I saw were the older dark green signs - they’ve been patched with bright “modern green” patches of course, which just looks ugly. In places patches have been missed (e.g. the black A90 lorry signs at the Garthdee roundabout). Hopefully this is just a temporary job until the signs are properly replaced as part of the detrunking job next April!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 13:42 Had to nip into town today and saw the A92 patching in all its glory along Anderson Drive. Most of the signs I saw were the older dark green signs - they’ve been patched with bright “modern green” patches of course, which just looks ugly. In places patches have been missed (e.g. the black A90 lorry signs at the Garthdee roundabout). Hopefully this is just a temporary job until the signs are properly replaced as part of the detrunking job next April!
I like your optimism
Burns

Post by Burns »

orudge wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 13:42 Had to nip into town today and saw the A92 patching in all its glory along Anderson Drive. Most of the signs I saw were the older dark green signs - they’ve been patched with bright “modern green” patches of course, which just looks ugly. In places patches have been missed (e.g. the black A90 lorry signs at the Garthdee roundabout). Hopefully this is just a temporary job until the signs are properly replaced as part of the detrunking job next April!
I drove down the A92 (A90) yesterday on the way back to Dundee/Fife from Aberdeen airport (which I rate more highly than Edinburgh) and I saw all the A92 patches. The big, glaring omission I saw was the A90 road marker paint approaching the Bridge of Dee marker paint. I'm surprised I noticed though, seeing as I was planning a revenge overtake on a CRV that'd cut me up on the previous roundabout...
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Go North East Road Festival - Milltimber 8th September 2018
Shuttle bus journey went onto AWPR from Kingswells junction to Milltimber

Southbound:

Direct link

Northbound:

Direct link
iainh124a

Post by iainh124a »

Go North East Road Festival - Milltimber 8th September 2018
Full Flickr album

Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Edge of road surface - Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Bridge over River Dee at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Bridge over River Dee at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Cyclists at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Emergency escape through fence - Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Wildlife overbridge near Cleanhill - Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Cyclists Beware of Ribline sign on approach to Cleanhill roundabout at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Cleanhill roundabout sign at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Blaikiewell Burn viaduct - Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

Cleanhill roundabout at Go North East Road Festival on AWPR Aberdeen Bypass at Milltimber Brae & bridge over River Dee on 8th September 2018 by Iain Henderson, on Flickr

September 2018: New A92 signs on Anderson Drive, Aberdeen changing road number from A90 due to opening of Aberdeen bypass AWPR later in year by Iain Henderson, on Flickr
SuperLez

Post by SuperLez »

Looks as though its just about ready to open now!
Ye May Gang Far And Fare Waur
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I’ve a trip to the airport on the 25th, I’m hoping I’ll be able to use it this time!
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

SuperLez wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 17:45 Looks as though its just about ready to open now!
I wonder if there are ERT’s to be installed in the Emergency Lay-bys :scratchchin:
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

novaecosse wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 21:14
SuperLez wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 17:45 Looks as though its just about ready to open now!
I wonder if there are ERT’s to be installed in the Emergency Lay-bys :scratchchin:
What do you need them for? Everyone has a mobile these days :roll: