Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by SteveA30 »

It looks superb along the GS sections, swooping down into the valley. Pity about some of the junctions.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Achmelvic

Aberdeen Bypass Route Announced

Post by Achmelvic »

Some great & timely photos for me, I finally got to drive the AWPR for the first time late on yesterday whilst heading up to the in-laws for Christmas after having watch it being built in previous years.

I whilst most of the road is decent and a definite improvement over Anderson Drive I did notice how poor the signs are, the multi panel ones are hardly readable in the dark & cold.

Will get to experience Stonehaven junction again heading back south on Friday morning.

orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Those signs on the A96 link road must be the only signs on the route referring to “A90” instead of “A90 North” or “A90 South”!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

orudge wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 19:48Those signs on the A96 link road must be the only signs on the route referring to “A90” instead of “A90 North” or “A90 South”!
And what a blessing that is! It still winds me up that AECOM thought they needed to reinvent the wheel where direction sign strategy is concerned. It's utterly bizarre.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

I like the green bridge at Kirkhill, planted up too to give shelter for wildlife crossing.

There is a lot of new planting of trees/shrubs along the route, hopefully there are breaks in the planting to allow some far reaching views for the road user too.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Traffic lights looking to be installed on the A944.

https://news.aberdeencity.gov.uk/new-tr ... oundabout/

Full details yet to be revealed - the roundabout is wide enough for 3 lanes and is apparently pre-wired for lights in some way. Whether it gets remarked as 3 lanes though I’m not sure.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 Traffic lights looking to be installed on the A944.

https://news.aberdeencity.gov.uk/new-tr ... oundabout/

Full details yet to be revealed - the roundabout is wide enough for 3 lanes and is apparently pre-wired for lights in some way. Whether it gets remarked as 3 lanes though I’m not sure.
Hopefully it was foreseen it would need signalised, so they installed empty duct crossings as part of the build. :pig:
McDanger

Post by McDanger »

Noticed that 70 roundels are now in place at the slip road entries
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I did see new posts had been erected at the start of the A944 sliproads (the previous NSL signs were unusually at the merge point), but hadn’t noticed any actual signs go up - I’ll have to check next time I go past.

Given somebody was done for doing something stupid like 150mph on the A956 the other week, I assume the legalities of 70 vs NSL signs on a special road are academic when it comes to such speeds! (Or maybe it just wasn’t challenged at court?)
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

McDanger wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 17:16 Noticed that 70 roundels are now in place at the slip road entries
Also at Charleston and Stonehaven North (pictured)
A90 AWPR Stonehaven North
A90 AWPR Stonehaven North
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 17:58 I did see new posts had been erected at the start of the A944 sliproads (the previous NSL signs were unusually at the merge point), but hadn’t noticed any actual signs go up - I’ll have to check next time I go past.

Given somebody was done for doing something stupid like 150mph on the A956 the other week, I assume the legalities of 70 vs NSL signs on a special road are academic when it comes to such speeds! (Or maybe it just wasn’t challenged at court?)
I believe he was caught the day AFTER the Special Road Order was made.
153mph is taking the mick, so they would have found something else if the signed limit wasn’t legally compliant.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Some more photos of some of the junctions (the ones that aren't within the restricted zone of the airport).

Blackdog Junction

Last edited by Glen on Mon Apr 06, 2020 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

From the SABRE Wiki: Blackdog Junction :

Blackdog Junction is the northern terminus of the A90 Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route.

| [[Category:Scottish Trunk Road

... Read More
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

From the SABRE Wiki: Kingswells South Junction :

In contrast to some of the other new junctions on the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route, the Kingswells South Junction appears to be a fairly straightforward Roundabout interchange, with the new A90 passing under the A944. The junction has the advantage of being sited outside the main urban area of Aberdeen, and so no compromises were required when designing the junction.

... Read More