Old motorway slip road dot-matrix precursors...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SubaruImprezaWRX

Post by SubaruImprezaWRX »

ABE wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:ABE,

The message sign you speak of has been featured in a Pathe newsreel on their website. They were neon based, and did indeed internally illuminate.
the USA.
Many thanks for this Bryn! It shows exactly how they work.

And there's also a video on there showing the 'Motorwarn' signals being activated by radar from a police car. Well worth a look - and a listen too! I like the bit in the commentary describing the radar gun as a 'space-age lamplighter'!
is there a link for this that i've missed, or did you google it?

Thanks in anticipation!
jcpren

Post by jcpren »

SubaruImprezaWRX wrote:
a228_mb wrote:Are thesethe same type of lights or something different?
sorry, where are the signals? :(

all i can see is a silver golf on a road!
I think Martin was talking about the lights on the gantry.

They're similar, but not the same. The lights we've been talking about are on black boards mounted on poles on the verge.
John
ABE

Post by ABE »

SubaruImprezaWRX wrote: is there a link for this that i've missed, or did you google it?
Sorry, didn't include link because the Pathe site is a bit tricky.

Go to http://www.britishpathe.com and enter 'fog gun' (without quotes) into the search box. It should be obvious which film you want. You'll need to add it to the baskey and download. If you leave the resolution at 128 kb/s then the download (after checkout) is free.

Searching for 'motorway' gets a lot of interesting stuff.
SubaruImprezaWRX

Post by SubaruImprezaWRX »

Brilliant - thanks a lot, will check out at home tonight with the sound on.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Just wanna say ABE is right - the Pathe site is excellent - full of little gems for those interested in early Warboys and early motorway signage.

Wonky signs galore!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I watched the video of the signals...

Did I hear the newscaster use the word "cop"?
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Re:

Post by ManomayLR »

ABE wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:50
SubaruImprezaWRX wrote: is there a link for this that i've missed, or did you google it?
Sorry, didn't include link because the Pathe site is a bit tricky.

Go to http://www.britishpathe.com and enter 'fog gun' (without quotes) into the search box. It should be obvious which film you want. You'll need to add it to the baskey and download. If you leave the resolution at 128 kb/s then the download (after checkout) is free.

Searching for 'motorway' gets a lot of interesting stuff.
It's been 13 years since and I watched and saw the sign for LFE services... it's so amazing to think this section which once had these motorwarns now look like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.609444 ... 2!8i6656
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.