Leisure Drive

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rob590

Re: Leisure Drive

Post by Rob590 »

The A5087 Ulverston - Barrow-in-Furness has brown tourist signposts at either end, labelled as 'Coastal Route'. I don't recognize the red logo though - it looks Lancashirey but these are modern signs so I can't work out who it is!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (33.66 KiB) Viewed 1412 times
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Rob590 wrote:The A5087 Ulverston - Barrow-in-Furness has brown tourist signposts at either end, labelled as 'Coastal Route'. I don't recognize the red logo though - it looks Lancashirey but these are modern signs so I can't work out who it is!
English Tourist Board, or Visit England, or whatever it's called this week.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

My older Highway Codes had a Holiday Route in the signs section, a black HR & an arrow on a yellow background.

I presume this was to pointe recommended route to a resort, I can't every recally seeing one in use so I'm guessing the brown signs replaced them.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Holiday Routes were diversion routes to avoid the main roads during peak traffic in the holiday season - so not necessarily the best, most direct, or most scenic routes, but just a way to disperse traffic to reduce congestion on the main roads.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Glen wrote:Holiday Routes were diversion routes to avoid the main roads during peak traffic in the holiday season - so not necessarily the best, most direct, or most scenic routes, but just a way to disperse traffic to reduce congestion on the main roads.
And some of the HRs followed routes that those of us who could map read had been using for decades to avoid the bottlenecks, like Exeter - life was never the same when all and sundry started using the routes!
Lifelong motorhead
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Attachments
HR1.jpg
HR2.jpg
HR3.jpg
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I think the most well-known sieving holiday route signage is on the M4 at J15 and on the A419. An alternative to the Severn Bridge tolls I assume.

The A417 also has a "scenic route" direction sign at Birdlip. There aren't any more to follow it up mind, and the following 'viewpoint' sign points to a cul-de-sac, but the potential is there.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
ronA1066

Post by ronA1066 »

The A1120 from Stowmarket to Yoxford in Suffolk - or parts of it - is signed as a Tourist Route. Large brown signs list a variety of tourist attractions along or close to the road. Unfortunately not all the HGVs follow the advised but much longer through route via the A14 and the A12.
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

There's also the signs for the B8008 between Arisaig and Mallaig:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.92267 ... 312!8i6656
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

"Alternative scenic/tourist/coastal route" type directions are fairly common in touristy areas, often on a bypassed road like that, or sometimes just a longer way to get somewhere. They are usually only signed at either end and usually just in isolation rather than part of a wider published route.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I'd love to know more about this brown sign in Eardisley, it seems to start here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.14060 ... 6656?hl=en and finishes 2 miles down the road here at a Great Oak which is rather impressive https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.14044 ... 6656?hl=en but seems pointless.

I do recommend the Tram Inn at Eardisley for lunch. The New Strand Inn over the road is full of books :D The main bar is still in use, the back bar with pool table is now the village Post Office and the conservatory is the dining room!
vlad

Post by vlad »

I knew I remembered that signposted leisure drives were marked on some maps at least.

I've found something called the Official Tourist Map Staffordshire Shropshire and West Midlands, presumably dating to the late 1970s going by which roads are open (it's not dated) and one of a series covering Great Britain south of about Oban.

Below is a scan of part of the Vale Of Trent Leisure Drive, which also got to Tutbury and Lichfield. There are quite a few leisure drives marked on the map with green lines.

"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Thread bump!

There are a couple of 'Leisure Drive' signs still hanging on in Cheshire. This one in Mouldsworth. Also another near Manley Mere, Frodsham are two i have noted. I'm curious to know when they started and what were the actual routes as such as these signs appear to be meaningless today.
Attachments
mouldsworth_b5393_delamerer3.JPG
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The map vlad posted of Rugeley I'm sure there's some signs still in place. I've seen some round here but I can't remember exactly where they were.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Richard_Fairhurst

Post by Richard_Fairhurst »

This one on the Oxfordshire/Warwickshire border: https://goo.gl/maps/TQynipcHaw3FEhNg6
Help map the world: openstreetmap.org
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I passed a couple of these signs this week; this one on the outskirts of Leamington Spa and this one the other side of Kenilworth.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

worcsfan wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2009 00:34 ...Two met near Milford Common in Staffs.- one following an AA Day Drive towards Great Haywood and Salt before going back into Stafford; the other over Cannock Chase in some form- passing the German Military Cemetery and the Pye Green Tower at one point...
Sign still there I think.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

There's a good list of these in North Yorkshire here.
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... hire-49742

I am a happy bunny having done one of them day today.
Stokesley to Helmsley

Look out for the Talivan that's usually parked up somewhere along the route. It was on the climb up to Bilsdale Moor today.
KeithW

Re:

Post by KeithW »

wallasey wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2006 17:21
Mark Hewitt wrote:"Northumberland Coastal Trial" is well signposted.
I also saw signs for a tourist route around the north coast from Edinburgh to Dunbar. Then there is the Trossachs trial.
Thesrs one in Kielder too but I think it has a toll on it.... ?

It does but its worth it. Last time I drove it payment was by honesty box.