Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mcpish

Re: Road Videos

Post by mcpish »

I've got a few more I've put together in the past few months.

Oxford
mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Here's my video of the M40 between Oxford to Birmingham.

DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Not mine by any means but I reckon this is the best thread to mention a quite fabulous YouTube channel that I've stumbled upon.
Geoff Claydon
Loads of videos mostly through the 50's, 60's and 70's. Some incredible footage of north Devon including Barnstaple before any of its bypasses, and elsewhere including Ireland.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I genuinely made a friend on this road trip. There's some great, mountainous, snowy scenery to enjoy here (recorded mid February before the big snow hit all of us).
Burns

Post by Burns »

Who's up for a roller-coaster ride across some Scottish mountain passes? This one kicks off with the action immediately so buckle up.

owen b

Post by owen b »

Burns wrote:Who's up for a roller-coaster ride across some Scottish mountain passes? This one kicks off with the action immediately so buckle up.

I enjoyed that. Last month I was the taxi for some friends of mine who were walking the Lairig Ghru end to end. So I had a fantastic drive from Aviemore to the Linn of Dee via Grantown, the Lecht (snowploughs trying to get the second lane open when I passed through), B976, Braemar. Then on the way back went over the Cairnwell, then B950, A924 Pitlochry, then A9 back over Drumochter. One of my favourite drives ever, especially in the bright but cold weather, snow most of the way down into the valleys.
Owen
Burns

Post by Burns »

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Heads of the Valleys Road dualling

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here are some more classic Scottish mountain passes to enjoy.

MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

Eurotunnel UK Boarding (x3.2)
Burns

Post by Burns »

That looks unnecessarily confusing to navigate.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Burns wrote:That looks unnecessarily confusing to navigate.
Not really, it's a journey I've done lots of times. I often end up in the big shed coming back to Dover.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's a video of the northern part of the A68, I turn off just before Jedburgh, pass through Hawick and head into the hills on the B6399. I do this drive a lot so it was good to capture it. If anyone remembers one of my early Norwegian videos, I put in a tunnel counter. I've brought it back for this video, except tunnels have been replaced with speed cameras.

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Truvelo wrote:
Not really, it's a journey I've done lots of times. I often end up in the big shed coming back to Dover.
It's one of those things - it's better generally to hold people at the amenities building than on the stacking space immediately prior to getting on the train as at least there's food, seats, and proper toilets - hence the initial diversion in that direction
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

c2R wrote:
Truvelo wrote:
It's one of those things - it's better generally to hold people at the amenities building than on the stacking space immediately prior to getting on the train as at least there's food, seats, and proper toilets - hence the initial diversion in that direction
You have the wrong shed - the one I'm talking about has sniffer dogs :@
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Truvelo wrote:
c2R wrote:
Truvelo wrote: Not really, it's a journey I've done lots of times. I often end up in the big shed coming back to Dover.
You have the wrong shed - the one I'm talking about has sniffer dogs :@
Oh yes, I've been in those sheds... although less so the older I get.... Coming back there's also the other shed I have to visit now to get the dog chip scanned and passport checked!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Burns

Post by Burns »

I spent last week in Norway (y'know, again but it's no different to people who go to Spain all the time) so I'm going to kick things off with a drive up the E6. You'll get to see Norwegian motorways, motorways under construction, temporary tie-ins, bridges, tunnels, a car crash and beautiful scenery.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's my next video from Norway. I'd advertise it as having the Trollstigen in it, which it does but you can't see anything due to the mist. However, once I break out of the mist, the mountain views are spectacular.

D.J

Post by D.J »

Here's my latest which features clips of the journey between Calais and Austria (via Saarbrucken, The German A8 which is basically a mess, Stuttgart, Ulm, and then south to the Fernpass).

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Newcastle Central Motorway northbound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A4M7HpKRy0
M6 and A74(M) with traffic alert from Radio Cumbria:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAmDurvEnuY