Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Re: Road Videos

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.4) 3 of 13

MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.2) 4 of 13

CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

A night time run A39/A399/A361 M5 Bridgwater Services round trip over Exmoor and back to the M5 at Tiverton.

2hr drive condensed into 11 minutes.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.2) 5 of 13

mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Hi I'm new to this forum, but I've been making road videos for awhile in Canada. I recently visited the UK this past summer, rented a car, and managed to record some road videos while I was there.
This forum seems like an interesting place of like minded people. Normally I hang around in the FreewayJim group on Facebook to exchange road geek videos.

My Youtube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/tcp

I normally go by the name "Trans Canada Phil".

Here are some of my UK road videos I've shot & edited together so far.

Manchester Tour

London M25 - part 1

London M25 - part 2

Like I said, most of my stuff is in Canada (that's where I'm from), but I managed to record a bunch of footage while I was in the UK so I should be able to make some new UK videos for a few months from now. Here's an example of some of my older stuff from Canada.

Okanagan Valley

My Youtube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/tcp
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS4XBrzq1Kw

In a variation from the others, this is a 1966 film about driver behaviour. Four categories of driver are identified.
S - Safe
DA - Dissociated Active
DP - Dissociated Passive
I - Injudicious
These groups are very much recognisable today

20 mins of computer geeks, graphs and of course, road footage, some of which needs identifying. Got the A30, natch, at Blackbushe, Blackwater and Hartley Wintney but, there are several other locations, including a river crossing, Thames probably.

I was hoping to buy this but, Huntley and other archives like Kinol, only deal with commercial media. The Huntley lady said the prices start at £15 per second :o A quick mental calculation for a 20 minute clip, tells me that is......... a s**t load of money.

So, this is the YouTube much lower resolution version.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Member Beardy5632, I've really enjoyed your new videos from this June with the traffic warning, speed–limit, motorway and route confirmatory signs on them!

1) Did you have to get special Traffic Sign Software to do them?

2) What Video Editing Program will do this?

3) Where can I find the Sign Pictograms?

4) I know the fonts are free from CBRD, but what are the Colour Specs?

5) Do you have a tutorial page I could refer to?

I've just treated myself to a new Nextbase Dash Cam and I'd like to make and upload some in the same format!

Chris Williams
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland6 (x3.2) 6 of 13

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Nice video but you could have got past the red car instead being stuck behind it.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Member Beardy5632, I've really enjoyed your new videos from this June with the traffic warning, speed–limit, motorway and route confirmatory signs on them!

I've just treated myself to a new Nextbase Dash Cam and I'd like to make and upload some in the same format!

Chris Williams
You would probably get a better response by Beardy if you quoted his post to get better attention (he may have emails telling him of post quotes I dont know so I'll do it for you just in case he has.)
Beardy5632 wrote: Blub (I said this not Beardy just quoting a blank slate and thought blub was just as good.)
Although I can answer Q2: Any good video editing software should be able to do this.

Other than that, I hope my blind quoting him may help him help you better :)

(I am also interested where you get the sign pictures from.)
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

mcpish wrote: Here's an example of some of my older stuff from Canada.
Okanagan Valley
<snip>
Ha! A mid-winter video of the Coquihalla (in a blizzard pre toll-removal) or the 97C in similar conditions would be interesting - but I don't think dashcams had been invented then. I recall driving from Kelowna to Vancouver in around 2003 and the 97C & Coquihalla were closed due to avalanche risk and so had to head south to Penticton and take Highway 3A/3 back to Hope - that was a looong day/night.
Let it snow.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I have some still photos of the Coquihalla I took in 2005 when it was still tolled but they were taken in September when it was warm and sunny.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

mcpish wrote:Like I said, most of my stuff is in Canada (that's where I'm from), but I managed to record a bunch of footage while I was in the UK so I should be able to make some new UK videos for a few months from now. Here's an example of some of my older stuff from Canada.
Welcome!

When I tell non-UK friends about the M25 I always worry they will think I'm exaggerating. Now I have some nice evidence to present! That section you filmed between Cobham services and J10 once took me an hour... at 11pm.

More generally, it's always interesting to see a visitor's experience of something which is everyday to us, so thank you for sharing the videos and the captions.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Chris56000 wrote:Hi!

Chris Williams
Hi Chris,

In answer to your questions:
The majority of the signs I've used on mine were actually ones I downloaded from Wikimedia, but the route conf signs were ones that I edited on a program called Paint.net. I'm not too sure on the colour specs for the fonts, I'll have to check that one!
For editing the videos I sped up the footage on Movie Maker then added the signs and road numbers on using something called Wondershare Filmora.
And I'm afraid that I don't have a tutorial page that shows how to do it but it's quite easy to do. :)

I've got the Nextbase 212 and I can't fault mine, it's a great little dash cam.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

And talking of vids, the next Scottish installment from June. :)

MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.2) 7 of 13
Spean Bridge - Steall Falls - Jct A82/A830

mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Alderpoint wrote:
mcpish wrote: Here's an example of some of my older stuff from Canada.
Okanagan Valley
<snip>
Ha! A mid-winter video of the Coquihalla (in a blizzard pre toll-removal) or the 97C in similar conditions would be interesting - but I don't think dashcams had been invented then. I recall driving from Kelowna to Vancouver in around 2003 and the 97C & Coquihalla were closed due to avalanche risk and so had to head south to Penticton and take Highway 3A/3 back to Hope - that was a looong day/night.
I do have some videos of the Coquihalla highway I recorded just last year actually

Coquihalla Highway (part 1)

Coquihalla Highway (part 2)

UK videos:

I also just released a new UK road video last night... this my new "M6 Toll" video around Birmingham.

M6 Toll

mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Johnathan404 wrote: When I tell non-UK friends about the M25 I always worry they will think I'm exaggerating. Now I have some nice evidence to present! That section you filmed between Cobham services and J10 once took me an hour... at 11pm.

More generally, it's always interesting to see a visitor's experience of something which is everyday to us, so thank you for sharing the videos and the captions.
That first video I posted of the M25 was taken literally right as soon as I picked up my car rental and started my first attempt at left-side driving UK style. Going on the M25 right away sure was a trial by fire. Talk about being thrown in the deep-end for a beginner.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland8 (x 3.2)

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The next Scottish installment, along the A9, A889 and A86. :)