Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Road Videos

Post by RichardA35 »

haymansafc wrote:Yesterday I went been across the new Mersey Gateway Bridge in both directions for the first time - so here's my footage of it.

Apologies for having to split this into four separate videos. YouTube's Video Editor no longer exists and that's what I used to use to splice the clips together into one longer seamless video. So, if anyone can recommend a decent, simple to use software in which I can do this, I would be grateful if you could advise suggestions.

Northbound Part One – where we start by leaving the M56 at junction 12.

Northbound Part Two

Southbound Part One

Southbound Part Two

Can you put up a video of paying the toll as it seemed to cause a lot of fuss previously Image
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

RichardA35 wrote:Can you put up a video of paying the toll as it seemed to cause a lot of fuss previously Image
It took about 15 minutes of navigating their website to figure out what to do... A bit longer than five seconds chucking some money into a bucket. I can go over Thelwall Viaduct and end up at the same end point in less time than it took me to pay for this crossing...and it wouldn't have cost me a penny, so that's what I'll be doing in future :)
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The Bealach Na Ba.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's my next Norwegian instalment. This time round, you get to see what their single track roads look like (although the first few minutes are of the E16). The scenery is outstanding as the 569 roller coasters its way around some fjords before climbing through a pine lined valley into the mountains before descending through the 3.5km Modalstunnelen back to sea level again. For those of you who thought some of the single track, unlit tunnels I drove through before were daunting, wait till you see the Høgabergtunnelen.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's a Scottish video for you all to enjoy. You must be over 18 to watch it.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Here's a few dashcam videos from my return trip from Devon back in September. Again, apoligies that there's several, short five minute videos. I need to know what editing software I can buy/use that used to do the same job that YouTube's now defunct 'Editor' facility...

First up, the end of the B3231 in Braunton, onto the A361 through Braunton and out to Chivenor...

The A361 from Ashford and through into Barnstaple town centre (check out the view from this garden centre at the start of the video, that we tend to visit when down there! :)

The end of the D2 A361 westbound as we join the M5 northbound at junction 27...

The carriageway split on the M5 as we head towards Bristol...

A continuation of the last video, as we head over the Avonmouth Bridge...

Again, apologies for multiple short videos. I'd love to be able to stitch together my road trips for you again one day.
Burns

Post by Burns »

For my video editing, I use Premiere Pro CS5 (for the number of times it crashes and can't read certain video files, I'm glad I didn't pay for it) but I'm sure Windows Movie Maker (which I believe is free) should be able to stitch your videos together without issue.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Burns wrote:

Here's my next Norwegian instalment. This time round, you get to see what their single track roads look like (although the first few minutes are of the E16). The scenery is outstanding as the 569 roller coasters its way around some fjords before climbing through a pine lined valley into the mountains before descending through the 3.5km Modalstunnelen back to sea level again. For those of you who thought some of the single track, unlit tunnels I drove through before were daunting, wait till you see the Høgabergtunnelen.
Welcome to proper Norwegian roads. :D

Been on those as a passenger in a coach, great fun! Interesting few seconds when we saw what looked to be a very low section. Luckily it turned out to be just a piece of the fabric used to catch small chunks of rock when they drop off.

Went Bergen - Voss - Sogndal in the 70's, no by-pass tunnels, long ferry journeys and single track, gravel, roads. May ask parents for the films they did.

ps Saw several passing places, albeit unmarked, in that last tunnel. Not sure what speed you were doing but they looed to be 6 seconds apart.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The Coast Road between Applecross and Shieldaig.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

haymansafc wrote:
Apologies for having to split this into four separate videos. YouTube's Video Editor no longer exists and that's what I used to use to splice the clips together into one longer seamless video. So, if anyone can recommend a decent, simple to use software in which I can do this, I would be grateful if you could advise suggestions.
Avidemux or Freemake Video Converter
Wolfie

FB me!
D.J

Post by D.J »

Recorded some footage during my trip around the Brussels ring last weekend :)

Burns

Post by Burns »

If you're interested in how traffic is managed during the southbound closure of the Queensferry Crossing, then have a look at this video. I've included the drive over both bridges, plus the roadworks at both sides so you can see how things are progressing.

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Thanks for the advice on what I can use with regards to stitching my clips back together again. Unfortunately my existing laptop is approaching seven years old and I have tried Windows Movie Maker before. Even when I download the right version - it won't run and says I need to check compatibility. Freemake Video Converter seems to run great, but always throws up an error message when I try to upload the stitched video(s) to YouTube :( .

I'm hoping to get a new laptop over the next three or four months and not being very technically minded, I think I'll get someone to put a programme on incase there's something I'm doing wrong (which knowing me, is likely...). Fingers crossed, I should then back back to stitching clips together and uploading them into one single video as I've always done in the past, rather than in five minute sections.

Anyway, I was in North Wales on Saturday. There was a few inches snow in parts but nothing making roads troublesome with the usual due care. Here's three videos (carrying on from one another) from part of the journey I made. Basically, the footage you'll see is of this route - give or take a mile.

I've added some festive music to them...! :lol:

Part One - A5151

Part Two - A5151 to A55 eastbound

Part Three - A55 eastbound (The hold-up, is caused by a crashed Nissan GTR that you'll see, from the tracks in the snow, where it went into the central reservation at 4:33)

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

A couple of videos from the summer.
The top one is an update from the original four, but I've put them all together and put a bit more information onto it.
The second one is me trying to explain the unbuilt network around Newcastle, with a link to a certain site that has more information.

gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

On 19 December 2017 I filmed the following journey including the new Stoke Gifford Bypass:
  • M5 north-east-bound approaching J16
  • A38 southbound for a hundred metres
  • Bradley Stoke Way
  • Great Stoke Way
  • (New Road) Stoke Gifford Bypass
  • A4174 Filton Road
Here are links for both YouTube and Vimeo:

Vimeo
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's another long drive through Norway's mountains and tunnels. It's the second last of the longer videos I have to share from the October trip. Enjoy.

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Here's some footage taken whilst driving down to Ipswich on New Year's Eve. It's of the A14 (southbound) showing the current 'state of play' with regards to the offline upgrade works - most noticeable at Cambridge Services which is where I stopped off at, for a late breakfast.

Part 1/3

Part 2/3 (yes, I know I'm a bit fussy about when it comes to car parks - I tend to find 'ends'! :lol: )

Part 3/3

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

A 3 and a half hour drive that I did last month when I had a few days up in Yorkshire.

Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's a slightly different dash-cam video. Well, it's the usual long distance sped up scenic run that I'd usually upload but my friend and I recorded an accompanying commentary for it.

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Here's one through the centre of Chicago where all the on-slips are on the left and the exit slips are on the right to minimise weaving. Unfortunately the volume of traffic means traffic comes to a stop at every on-slip. Video speed is x4 which still seems sloooooooooow :@

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.