Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Burns

Re: Road Videos

Post by Burns »

Here's something a little different to what I normally post. Instead of being at x10 speed, this one is at x5 speed and it's still shorter than most of what I put out. It features two short drives, showing the different road connections between the islands that surround and the islands that make up Ålesund. You get three sub-sea tunnels, one of which has a grade separated underground junction that I drive in full and another is being refurbished so it's full of temporary linings and interesting vehicles. There are some great bridges linking these islands and the scenery and architecture around Ålesund is spectacular.

Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's a (sort of) two part video, showing some of the Norwegian coastal roads around Molde and Kristiansund. In the first video, you're treated to the Krifast Link, which connects Kristiansund with mainland Norway via two bridges and a sub-sea tunnel. In the second video, you get to see the Atlantic Ocean Tunnel and the Atlantic Ocean Road, two bits of unmissable infrastructure. All of these great bridges and tunnels are linked with beautiful Norwegian scenery, both rural and urban.

Burns

Post by Burns »

One more for now since no-one else seems to post in this thread but there's a lot of Sabristic interest in this video. This drive starts off at the Eiksund Tunnel which is the World's deepest sub-sea tunnel, dropping down to 287m below the waves. Other notable tunnels include one with a T-junction in it and another with a county border. The latter might not sound interesting but there's a special, well lit cavern to show it off. As always, all these great pieces of infrastructure are linked by beautiful mountain scenery and this time round, you get to see the dramatic peaks and cool blue waters of Norangsdalen, one of the most jaw-dropping places I've ever driven through.

mcpish

Post by mcpish »

Hello everyone, here are a couple more of my Videos. By the way, I'm headed back to the UK this summer, I'll be in Scotland in 3 weeks for more recording.

M6 to Manchester

Peak District to Chesterfield
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Many years ago, in-car films were a top hobby for me, although I didn't really know how to handle multimedia when I started.

I want to learn to edit video using ffmpeg and I'm remastering as many old films as I can as an exercise, from earliest to latest. I'm more conscientious about copyright now so soundtracks from the likes of Björn and Benny are out the window, unless I get a license.

The relevant playlists I'll add to from time to time (stable & standard-def) are on Vimeo and YouTube. For some reason Vimeo does a 480p setting for my 720x432 encodes while YouTube does not, so obviously that site is preferable. Both sites don't do high framerates below 720p, so the 50fps versions are available only as a download from Vimeo.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Back in February, I filmed a trip from Winchester to Hemel, the third trip in UHD (4K). This is the first UHD film I designated royalty-free music to the production for and so it is now the first to see the light of day. A YouTube upload will arrive shortly, as will four more Season 1 films I put on the same disc.

https://vimeo.com/355339578

The part beyond Rickmansworth was cut due to rain. It was a wet night generally and in the effort to stop the windscreen from misting up I made my journey quite uncomfortable (hot).

No computers in my house have hardware powerful enough to play 3840x2160, 60fps, H265 video smoothly. I was able to calculate a factor for ffmpeg's setpts filter to speed up the video so that it would sync well with my soundtrack, and let my old Piledriver CPU chug away for about six hours.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I saw this amazing rainbow on the way home today, one of the strongest I've seen. It lasted ages and then faded away when the sun went in. If the video was sharper I might have grabbed a frame and entered it for POTM.

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Back in December/January I had to produce a documentary film for an assessment. I was supposed to be in a group but, in the absense of a role in those that had already formed, I did it alone.

The resulting output didn't go too well as far as marking is concerned, it didn't really meet the brief due to lacking an interview and not featuring a social problem as the subject. Even in its own right I wasn't particularly pleased, there wasn't enough usable visual content (either my own or out of copyright) to really tell the story effectively. Everything just lacks sparkle.

However, this project was important to me as it represents the stylistic direction I want to take for creative works. I'd call it 'Anti-entertainment'. For a time afterwards I wanted to produce a 'directors' cut' to coincide with the 25th anniversary of the M3's opening in June, but I've lost interest; I have devised a more 'technology-oriented' film to work on from May onwards, so I may as well share the assessment submission cut.

Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Two years ago I planned to remaster and release all of the films I've shot from inside a car, but have slowly realised that the vast majority of soundtracks I used were without a legitimate license, and I'm not able to source enough appropriate replacements for them all. Instead, someday I'll release all of them in realtime (no music) with my own commentary added on top.

In the mean time, below is a 'clean' set of 'final cuts' of films with legally sourced audio. These are on Vimeo as well and I might revise the colour grading of the versions on that site at some point.

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Swindon's Magic Roundabout's Lost History:

SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtd-Pm ... KDhDKYMnZw

Can't remember what thread the Honiton to Exeter video was posted in but, this fits the bill. A303 Sparkford to Podimore and return, Friday Sept 23. Should have done it before work started as much has changed. Still, it will be unrecognisable in about a years time.

Fairly free flowing westbound, slower eastbound. Choc Ices will be available in the interval.

Windscreen wiper gets in the way. I had to mount the camera on Blue Tack, with an OS map stuck to it , then the camera on more Blue Tack on the map, as the wipers blocked the view completely before.
Yours
H. Robinson
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/