Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Burns

Re: Road Videos

Post by Burns »

More Norwegian goodness. This was more of an ambling drive so I could look at some waterfalls and a few disused road tunnels. I know the video is 22 minutes long but it's at 10x speed so it covers a lot of amazing scenery and infrastructure. There's even a roundabout inside a tunnel to look out for.

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Some beautiful scenery there and that tunnel roundabout is definitely something unique.
One thing that would put me off on some of those roads though is them unlit tunnels that you were driving through.
British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
D.J

Post by D.J »

Here's a mix of road shots, scenic views, and service stops during my recent journey through Switzerland, i'm particularly fond of what i called the 'swiss cheese services' which i named for obvious reasons.

Hope you folks like anyhow... :)

I would have liked to have gotten some footage from the Gotthard tunnel, but it was just too dark and i couldn't get the camera to focus properly. :cry:
Burns

Post by Burns »

Beardy5632 wrote:Some beautiful scenery there and that tunnel roundabout is definitely something unique.
One thing that would put me off on some of those roads though is them unlit tunnels that you were driving through.
They aren't really that bad as most of them have reflectors on the side walls. I went through them with full beam on so it's just like driving at night, only better.

Something that might disconcert you though is that I'm quite happy to stop in the middle of the unlit tunnels and break my tripod and camera out for some photography. Here's a clip of the Ofredal Tunnel, the Worlds steepest road tunnel. On the way down, you see me pull over and the purpose of the stop was to get this photo.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Burns wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote:Some beautiful scenery there and that tunnel roundabout is definitely something unique.
They aren't really that bad as most of them have reflectors on the side walls. I went through them with full beam on so it's just like driving at night, only better.

Something that might disconcert you though is that I'm quite happy to stop in the middle of the unlit tunnels and break my tripod and camera out for some photography. Here's a clip of the Ofredal Tunnel, the Worlds steepest road tunnel. On the way down, you see me pull over and the purpose of the stop was to get this photo.
Wow that's steep! :o
But worth it for that shot :)
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The eastbound M55 (including the northern part of the Preston Bypass).

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The whole of the A601(M) too.

lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

Beardy5632 wrote:The eastbound M55 (including the northern part of the Preston Bypass).

To my mind, the most memorable thing about the M55 is the strange bit at the western end where the eastbound carriageway narrows to one lane and becomes the outside lane after the sliproad from the A583 merges in.

That, and the fact the flat landscape causes it to act as a giant wind tunnel, which is not much fun when you're on a bike.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Burns wrote:Something that might disconcert you though is that I'm quite happy to stop in the middle of the unlit tunnels and break my tripod and camera out for some photography. Here's a clip of the Ofredal Tunnel, the Worlds steepest road tunnel. On the way down, you see me pull over and the purpose of the stop was to get this photo.
Brilliant picture.

What are the blue "M" signs for?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Chris5156 wrote:
Burns wrote:Something that might disconcert you though is that I'm quite happy to stop in the middle of the unlit tunnels and break my tripod and camera out for some photography. Here's a clip of the Ofredal Tunnel, the Worlds steepest road tunnel. On the way down, you see me pull over and the purpose of the stop was to get this photo.
Brilliant picture.

M=Møteplass (Meeting Place) - so essentially a passing place.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

c2R wrote:
Chris5156 wrote:
Brilliant picture.

M=Møteplass (Meeting Place) - so essentially a passing place.
Ah - that was my first thought but they seemed too close together for that. On looking again I guess that's an optical trick because of the zoom.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's the last video I have from Norway. This one includes both the Gudvanga Tunnel (11km) and the Lærdal Tunnel (24.5km), as well as the magnificent viewpoints and hairpins of Stalheim and Stegastein. I post all my dashcam videos at 10x speed so there's a lot of scenery and engineering to take in over the 14 minute duration of the video.

owen b

Post by owen b »

Burns wrote:Here's the last video I have from Norway. This one includes both the Gudvanga Tunnel (11km) and the Lærdal Tunnel (24.5km), as well as the magnificent viewpoints and hairpins of Stalheim and Stegastein. I post all my dashcam videos at 10x speed so there's a lot of scenery and engineering to take in over the 14 minute duration of the video.
Fantastic, mesmerising, thank you :) . Like the music too, no clue what it is.
Owen
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

The now infamous A8(M). (Took me a while to get round to putting this one up!)

Burns

Post by Burns »

owen b wrote: Fantastic, mesmerising, thank you :) . Like the music too, no clue what it is.
Cheers. The music comes from a Norwegian band called 1099. First track used. Second track used. Their music is all on bandcamp with a name your price option, should you want to add it to your collection.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The first part of the M6 through the Lakes, second part is coming soon.

haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

On 1st July, I went to Mold and back.

The route there: A41 > A5117 > A494 > A5119

Points of interest:

6:10 - Dunkirk Roundabout - former western terminus of the M56.
7:45 - The infamous 'Wheelspin Roundabout' - which remains mostly busy due to local traffic still having to use it.
11:36 - The A494 lane drop to rejoin the old D2 section up Aston Hill (that begins at 13:12). Note the immediate build-up of traffic...

The return trip... It's the reverse of the above until 15:15 where I use the A540 and then Capenhurst Lane, before cutting across the A41. This saves using the A5117 and a bit of a 'rat run' used by locals during peak periods when the A5117 is literally at 1st and 2nd gear speeds.

Well, I'm afraid that's the 'end of the road' for this dashcam. You probably noticed in the above videos that the camera seemed to 'wobble' a bit... That's down to an issue I've had with the mounting bracket for quite a while. Unfortunately, it fell apart again on me this morning...and I've already glued part of it back together once. A direct replacement mount is anywhere around £10-£12 when I've looked into it. That's almost half the value of the dashcam itself when it was brand new more than two and a half years ago...! :shock:

So, I've decided it's time to 'retire' this dashcam. Not just because of the broken mount, but because I've wanted something of better quality for a while anyway and I've noticed the quality of the picture (supposedly 720p HD) has been slowly deteriorating. Considering it's orignal cheap price, age and the amount of times it's been used, it's more than done it's job.

So, hopefully my future videos will be of a notable improvement in terms of picture quality. :) The one I have lined up to replace it is 1080p HD and also has a 'microphone mute' button which will come in handy - so you don't have to endure dubbed-over classical music any more either - unless you like it! :lol:
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Here's the 2nd part of the M6 through the Lakes.

Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Another video from my Scottish trip last month, and a mini history lesson on the Cumberland Gap!

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

So you think M50 J3 is bad...

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.