Road Videos

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

exiled
Committee Member

Re: Road Videos

Post by exiled »

Burns wrote:
Jeni wrote:
exiled wrote:There is a problem with Jeni's videos though. The music, I watch two of her videos and that tune sticks in my head such that even the National Anthem cannot shift it! :D
I tried to change it in a few videos but there was outrage! "I want the old music back!"

The music annoys me now!
I always mute the music in other people's dashcam videos and play my own, unless it's spoken audio commentary.
Currently enjoying the Tebay to Kinross video, mainly the road facts. I forgot the Cumberland Gap used to be a dirt track before the motorway was built.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Burns

Post by Burns »

exiled wrote:
Burns wrote:
Jeni wrote:
I tried to change it in a few videos but there was outrage! "I want the old music back!"

The music annoys me now!
I always mute the music in other people's dashcam videos and play my own, unless it's spoken audio commentary.
Currently enjoying the Tebay to Kinross video, mainly the road facts. I forgot the Cumberland Gap used to be a dirt track before the motorway was built.
Cheers. I thought some of those facts would appeal to people here. They're mostly there to compensate for the fact that there isn't always a great deal to see from the M6 around Penrith but then I got carried away.
Burns

Post by Burns »

owen b wrote: Fantastic road, I've only done it as far as the Munros on the north side of Loch Quoich. I cheated and got the passenger ferry from Mallaig for the Munros closer to Inverie.
The 15 mile hike is certainly an adventure. We split the walk in two by staying in the Barrisdale bothy on the outbound journey (we didn't get to Kinlochhourn till 5pm anyway so reaching Inverie in one go was out the question). On the return journey, we took on all 15 miles at once. We'd eaten most the food in our packs by then so it wasn't as heavy going. Unfortunately, we never scaled any Munros on the trip but I'd like to go back and tick a few off. Hopefully I'll get more accommodating weather next time.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Burns wrote: Cheers. I thought some of those facts would appeal to people here. They're mostly there to compensate for the fact that there isn't always a great deal to see from the M6 around Penrith but then I got carried away.
Though as a Devonian I was a bit disappointed Crook of Devon was not presented as making up more Robin Hood or villainous. :D
Burns

Post by Burns »

exiled wrote: Though as a Devonian I was a bit disappointed Crook of Devon was not presented as making up more Robin Hood or villainous. :D
I'm afraid I don't know much about the real Devon. To me, Devon is the Devon Valley and its associated grand vistas of the Ochils, hydro schemes and disused railway.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

[flash=][/flash]
Burns wrote:
exiled wrote: Though as a Devonian I was a bit disappointed Crook of Devon was not presented as making up more Robin Hood or villainous. :D
I'm afraid I don't know much about the real Devon. To me, Devon is the Devon Valley and its associated grand vistas of the Ochils, hydro schemes and disused railway.
One of the largest counties in England, two national parks in its boundaries, and one of the reasons pirates have a Westcountry accent. Oh, and a lot of ghosts, myths, legends and the A38.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

The next video of the Scottish trip is up, Cumbernauld to Stirling with a quick tour of the Kincardine and Clackmannanshire Bridges included. I think I got in as much facts as I could. I turned the dash cam off after this until I got into Stirling as the M9 had roadworks.

British & Irish cities driven in - 48/75
England - 36/52, Scotland - 7/7, Wales - 5/6, NI - 0/5, RoI - 0/5
Burns

Post by Burns »

Beardy5632 wrote:The next video of the Scottish trip is up, Cumbernauld to Stirling with a quick tour of the Kincardine and Clackmannanshire Bridges included. I think I got in as much facts as I could. I turned the dash cam off after this until I got into Stirling as the M9 had roadworks.

I enjoyed that. It's been a while since I last drove over the Kincardine Bridge (I almost always use the Clackmannanshire Bridge for obvious reasons). As an interesting point of debate. Does Kincardine village really need two big, signal controlled junctions? I'd assume with most traffic now bypassing the village and those that still use the Kincardine Bridge, mostly doing so to stay on the A985, the lights are superfluous and cause unnecessary delay. Especially the ones at the former 3 road terminus junction.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

I can sort of understand why they've got the ones to the east of the bridge but yeah the town centre ones did seem a bit strange.
Burns

Post by Burns »

The north junction set are a historic relic that need to be confined to true history.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Two for the price of one today. Not another Scottish one (the next installment will be soon) but a one from last weekend of the A430 around Gloucester, with an added traffic light counter on it (sorry Burns, I nicked your idea when you did it for the tunnels on one of yours).

Burns

Post by Burns »

Beardy5632 wrote:Two for the price of one today. Not another Scottish one (the next installment will be soon) but a one from last weekend of the A430 around Gloucester, with an added traffic light counter on it (sorry Burns, I nicked your idea when you did it for the tunnels on one of yours).
It speaks volumes that the UK equivalent to the Norwegian tunnel counter is a traffic light counter...

I've given your channel a sub as well. Putting dash-cam videos up is a recent thing for me, most of the videos on my channels are either short documentaries on disused infrastructure or mildly comical videos of my adventures with friends.
Beardy5632

Post by Beardy5632 »

Burns wrote:
Beardy5632 wrote:Two for the price of one today. Not another Scottish one (the next installment will be soon) but a one from last weekend of the A430 around Gloucester, with an added traffic light counter on it (sorry Burns, I nicked your idea when you did it for the tunnels on one of yours).
It speaks volumes that the UK equivalent to the Norwegian tunnel counter is a traffic light counter...

I've given your channel a sub as well. Putting dash-cam videos up is a recent thing for me, most of the videos on my channels are either short documentaries on disused infrastructure or mildly comical videos of my adventures with friends.
Thank you very much :)
I first made mine back in 2010 with a few daft videos but I only started using it again when I got my dash cam. :)
Burns

Post by Burns »

Here's one from March that I've only just got round to looking at. Unfortunately, bad weather and strong sun plaque this one (hence why it took me so long to get it online) but there are some great roads captured here, it could just do with being a little less wet.

There's also a great moment where I get through some traffic lights so quick off the mark that you don't get to see the green. There's also a nice surprise on the A9 section of the video for fans of bridges you don't realise you're driving over until you go underneath. You'll see what I mean.
MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

Visited Scotland last week. Still a lot of editing ahead

sample
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

MarcoUK wrote:Visited Scotland last week. Still a lot of editing ahead
Will be watching when finished!
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.8) 1 of 13

Burns

Post by Burns »

MarcoUK wrote:Scotland (x3.8) 1 of 13

Nice video. My last one ended at Ralia as well, only I approached from the other side. What kind of dashcam do you use? The footage was really clear.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Burns wrote:Nice video. My last one ended at Ralia as well, only I approached from the other side. What kind of dashcam do you use? The footage was really clear.
Thanks

I use NextBase 402G. The footage is even clearer in reality, youtube makes it look so much worse, especially when you've got trees etc.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Scotland (x3.4) 2 of 13