A64 YORK HOPGROVE ROUNDABOUT IMPROVEMENT

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

It was in the local paper today that city of york council are meeting next week to vote on a scheme to improve the A64/A1237 Hopgrove roundabout at York, the highways agency are working together with the city council to improve both the hopgrove roundabouts, the H/A are doing the A64 roundabout and city of york council are doing the A1237 small hopgrove roundabout as one big scheme, the plan is to install over head traffic lights on both roundabouts, widen the A1237 from D2 to D3 between the two roundabouts, install 3 new gantrys, CCTV and new signs and street lighting.

The value of the scheme is 17.8m, it is nice to see something is been done with this roundabout at last but i'm sure that money would have been better put towards a D2 flyover for the A64 at the large hopgrove roundabout, the traffic lights will improve traffic flow on the A1237 as it is hard to get on to the large roundabout at the moment, but i am sure that they will make things so much worse on the A64.
ellandback

Re: A64 YORK HOPGROVE ROUNDABOUT IMPROVEMENT

Post by ellandback »

Ooh, you got me all excited for a moment.

And then you said:
NICK 647063 wrote: the plan is to install over head traffic lights on both roundabouts
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The scheme is costing £17.8m so surely a flyover could be built for that. It seems a bit costly if all they're doing is installing traffic lights and adding a few extra lanes. Better still, why not turn the big roundabout into a trumpet like this:

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

Yep, I got excited too until I saw the 'traffic lights' idea!

Baaaad... this road is in serious need of upgrade to dual carriageway the whole length - traffic lights are just going to exacerbate the problem. A GSJ is definitely needed!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Sorry, too much like common sense. :P

I do think £17.8m for some signals and gantries is a poor investment when you could make a cheapo GSJ for that.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M5Lenzar
Banned

Re: A64 YORK HOPGROVE ROUNDABOUT IMPROVEMENT

Post by M5Lenzar »

ellandback wrote:Ooh, you got me all excited for a moment.

And then you said:
NICK 647063 wrote: the plan is to install over head traffic lights on both roundabouts
Agreed.
Adding traffic lights cannot be an improvement as it breaks up the flow.
Ryk

Post by Ryk »

Bryn666 wrote:

I do think £17.8m for some signals and gantries is a poor investment when you could make a cheapo GSJ for that.
Quite, where there lies one person with common sense, there are 99 other people who will be heard first.

Pathfinder in Stoke had roughly twice this budget, and two Diamonds were built, with extra lanes too. Seems a hell of a waste of cash here.
If At First You Don't Succeed, Then Sky Divng Isn't For You.
M19

Post by M19 »

I suppose most of the money will go to widening the A1237 to increase link capacity. However, if you ask me, this is just to increase stacking space for queuing traffic. The queues will get shorter in length but will hold just as much traffic and maybe more.

To me its a so called "demand management" approach. In otherwords if you tart up a junction with a few traffic lights, to look like something is getting done, but create a similar level of congestion, the bottleneck will still put people off from using that route who don't really need to use it rather than put a proper grade separated junction in place that will deal with existing and future flows.

Seems to be a bit of a sticking plaster approach.
M19
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

M19 wrote:Seems to be a bit of a sticking plaster approach.
Definately. I have only used this junction once, and i cannot contemplate what it is like to use all year round. It definately needs GSJing, not putting some traffic lights on it and hopeing the problems will go away :x :shoot:
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

I also read in the paper that the H/A is closing off the the A64 Junction with north lane, thats the road that links the A1237 with the A64 east, north lane should never have been linked with the A1237 in the first place as it was clear it would have been used as a rat run, so that means more traffic using the hopgrove roundabout.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Hmmm and once the eastbound is clogged with traffic merging at the lane loss 200 yards on, and the traffic is backed up past the roundabout effectively making the lights ineffective, then what??

I upgraded this junction myself once in a fantasy road layout if anyone can find it!

What will happen is much more folk will go over Strensall Common like me and the good citizens of Earswick and Strensall will love that LOL.

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

This scheme to put traffic lights on the hopgrove roundabout has been given the green light today and work is set to start in January 2007, it will take 9 months to complete !!! so I hate to think what the summer traffic Jams will be like on the A64 next year !!!!!!!!!

also 2 other projects were passed today, the first one is to install traffic lights on the A1079 at Dunnington near York at the York road Junction and the second one is to install traffic lights on the A19 at Crocky hill between Selby and York, and both these schemes include a 40 MPH limit been installed.
True Yorkie
Banned

Post by True Yorkie »

DougieG wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:

Quite, where there lies one person with common sense, there are 99 other people who will be heard first.

Pathfinder in Stoke had roughly twice this budget, and two Diamonds were built, with extra lanes too. Seems a hell of a waste of cash here.
Has anyone gone from the Hull road (A1079) out of york city center and onto the A64 eastbound? without stopping at EVERY bl**dy set of frikkin lights?
I mean why?
If these new works are going to be like the junction I mention, then it may be quick to go the coast through the A166 to Brid, then up to scarbrough. either that or it's part of a secret plot to make people use the trains...
"God was probably very proud of Yorkshire when he had finished with it"
- Jeremy Clarkson
--
ellandback

Post by ellandback »

True Yorkie wrote: If these new works are going to be like the junction I mention, then it may be quick to go the coast through the A166 to Brid, then up to scarbrough. either that or it's part of a secret plot to make people use the trains...
I've done that a few times but you do tend to get stuck at Stamford Bridge for quite a while plus the Hopgrove queue on the A64 has been known to go even further back than the A166 junction.

In high summer, especially if I know the races are on, I've taken to sacking the A64 altogether and going M62/A614/B1249 instead, even though it's further and the A614 can get quite busy. Looks like I'll be taking that route a lot more often next year.
Philip

Post by Philip »

Today (8th Dec) the HA announced that work is to start on the installation of intelligent traffic lights on the A64 http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/newsroo ... d=18005526

This report states that the scheme will cost £700,000 which is quite a difference from the £17.8 million quoted at the beginning of this thread. That latter figure did always seem a lot for traffic lights and lane widening.

Was that £17.8 million a misquote or is there something that I have misunderstood.

Philip
owen b

Post by owen b »

It's not the same junction. The HA press release is talking about the A64/A1079 junction.
Owen
Philip

Post by Philip »

Owen, Thanks. My misunderstanding.

I note that the 3 GSJs currently being constructed on the A1 (Blyth, Apleyhead and Gonerby Moor) all have prices tags of less that £17.8 million. I find it bizarre (to say the least) that the HA does not want to GSJ the Hopgrove roundabout when the cost of doing so would probably be less the amount is planning to spend on traffic lights and lane widening.

Philip
owen b

Post by owen b »

Yes, it does seem like a bonkers amount of money for a glorified signalised junction on a major trunk route. The whole East Luton Corridor project isn't costing much more. I wonder how much Bryn's elegant trumpet would have cost.
Owen
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

owen b wrote:I wonder how much Bryn's elegant trumpet would have cost.
Hmm, hmm, cough - that was my design :lol:
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Sorry Truvelo. I wish you'd apply some of your GSJ braided free-flowing magic to the Luton area, by the way.
Owen