A77: Ayr to Stranraer

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

What should become of the A77 between Ayr & Stranraer?

Motorway
14%
Grade-Seperated D2
32%
At-Grade D2
16%
WS2/S3/S4/S2+1 etc.
16%
Keep it as it is (ie. S2)
7%
Mixture of the above
14%
Other (please state)
1%

Total votes: 146

Glenn A

Re: A77: Ayr to Stranraer

Post by Glenn A »

AndyB wrote:On the other hand, leaving Dumfries at 10am and driving west with stops in Kirkcudbright, Wigtown and Dunragit gives you a most pleasant run to Loch Ryan port, only hitting the platoons for the 3.30pm ferry (which you need to join anyway) between Dunragit and the A751!
I was on the A75 last month and when the squadrons of lorries aren't around, it's a pleasant road to drive on now you avoid Annan and Dumfries. Also that section of S2+1 near Dumfries is fantastic and safe. All that's required now for the A75 is removing a few of the sharp bends to the west of Annan and by passes of Dunragit and Crocketford.
Robert Kilcoyne

Post by Robert Kilcoyne »

Glenn A wrote: I was on the A75 last month and when the squadrons of lorries aren't around, it's a pleasant road to drive on now you avoid Annan and Dumfries. Also that section of S2+1 near Dumfries is fantastic and safe. All that's required now for the A75 is removing a few of the sharp bends to the west of Annan and by passes of Dunragit and Crocketford.
The Dumfries bypass should have been built as a D2 with grade separated junctions for the A701 and A76.
clc

Post by clc »

Glenn A wrote: All that's required now for the A75 is removing a few of the sharp bends to the west of Annan and by passes of Dunragit and Crocketford.
Dunragit already has a bypass.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

clc wrote:
Glenn A wrote: All that's required now for the A75 is removing a few of the sharp bends to the west of Annan and by passes of Dunragit and Crocketford.
Dunragit already has a bypass.
Sorry, but Crocketford doesn't.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Perhaps you meant Springholm and Crocketford?
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

wrinkly wrote:Perhaps you meant Springholm and Crocketford?
Yes - Springholm and Crocketford are the only two stretches of the A75 with a 30 limit. There is also a brief 50 at Castle Kennedy. Apart from that, the entire road is NSL as far as Stranraer.

As AndyB and Glenn A state above, it can be an extremely pleasant drive (I've done the entire length of it in just over an hour, but that was in the middle of the night when a few early overtakes on the A77 put me ahead of the pack!). It is a very different proposition during the daytime, or indeed if you are one of the last cars off the ferry.

Either way, it's a better road than the A77.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Robert Kilcoyne wrote:
Glenn A wrote: I was on the A75 last month and when the squadrons of lorries aren't around, it's a pleasant road to drive on now you avoid Annan and Dumfries. Also that section of S2+1 near Dumfries is fantastic and safe. All that's required now for the A75 is removing a few of the sharp bends to the west of Annan and by passes of Dunragit and Crocketford.
The Dumfries bypass should have been built as a D2 with grade separated junctions for the A701 and A76.
I did notice the by pass is rather narrow and could have benefited by being a D2 as it does have two busy junctions, and would have tied in with D2 at Collin. Yet anything is better than the old loop around Dumfries town centre.
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Stena Line losing their patience with poor quality of A75/A77. (I think the Oct closure may have been the A77 section south of Cairnryan which links to the A75).
http://news.stenaline.co.uk/pressreleas ... my-2263238
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Complaining about rail connections rings hollow when they voluntarily moved away from the railhead...!

When are the closures happening (at night when it’s mainly freight?) and are they properly signposted so that traffic is redirected sufficiently early to avoid 75 mile detours, ie before Girvan on the A77 and Wigtown on the A75?
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

The rail reference was more of an aside, the main issue was the state of the A75/A77. The two closures mentioned were 24 & 12 hours, one adding a 75 minute detour. Good access to Holyhead & Dublin must be attracting freight customers away from Cairnryan.
It's about 100 miles, Cairnryan to Gretna with only around 7 or 8 safe overtaking zones in each direction - there should double that number.
djw1981

Post by djw1981 »

It does depend where one starts the journey to assume a 75min diversion. AndPicking a major distribution site area (Bellshill), then to Cairnryan via A77 is 1h56, vis Dumfries A75 is 2h41. So a 45min detour not 75min.

And any doubling work will involve closures and delays anyway?
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

75 minutes sounds suspiciously like from point of final closure to the other side, rather than following sensible diversions - ie theoretical rather than actual delay
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Supplementary ground investigation contract awarded for Maybole bypass:

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a77 ... -progress/
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

It’s about time, too! We really should have dualled the lot by now, and have bypassed every settlement on the road.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

McNessA720 wrote:It’s about time, too! We really should have dualled the lot by now, and have bypassed every settlement on the road.
At 3000 vehicles a day at the south end, that's not going to happen in my lifetime, or possibly anyone else's.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

wrinkly wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:It’s about time, too! We really should have dualled the lot by now, and have bypassed every settlement on the road.
At 3000 vehicles a day at the south end, that's not going to happen in my lifetime, or possibly anyone else's.
On that, I will agree. After all, this is Britain, where we are seeming averse to building proper roads.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

McNessA720 wrote:
wrinkly wrote:
On that, I will agree. After all, this is Britain, where we are seeming averse to building proper roads.
Bizarre statement. What would you consider a "proper" road for 3000 vehicles a day?
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

Four bidders shortlisted for Maybole Bypass
A77 Maybole bypass progress update.

The shorlist of bidders to build the Maybole bypass has been shortlisted for the £30m construction project and have been invited to participate in the next stage of the procurement competition.

The successful bidders for the A77 project are: Farrans Roadbridge, John Paul Construction, R J McLeod and Wills Bros.

This next stage of procurement will see the four bidders enter into a commercially sensitive period of competitive dialogue which will last until autumn 2018.

The successful bidder will be required to build a new 5km off-line bypass and associated junctions. The bypass will separate local road users from those travelling longer distances, including to the ports. This will lead to improved road safety for local communities and road users, as well as providing better journey time reliability.

Humza Yousaf, Minister for Transport and Islands said:

"This announcement marks another significant milestone towards delivering a bypass for the town of Maybole and comes hot on the heels of ground investigation work which got underway earlier this month.

"The Scottish Government remains committed to delivering the Maybole Bypass and recent progress will enable work to press ahead in the New Year to bring much needed relief for the Maybole community as well as improving journey times for long distance road users.”

Following the award of the construction contract, work is expected to get underway on the main construction by the end of 2018.
https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a77 ... ss-update/
clc

Post by clc »

Altnabreac wrote:Four bidders shortlisted for Maybole Bypass
A77 Maybole bypass progress update.

The shorlist of bidders to build the Maybole bypass has been shortlisted for the £30m construction project and have been invited to participate in the next stage of the procurement competition.

The successful bidders for the A77 project are: Farrans Roadbridge, John Paul Construction, R J McLeod and Wills Bros.

This next stage of procurement will see the four bidders enter into a commercially sensitive period of competitive dialogue which will last until autumn 2018.

The successful bidder will be required to build a new 5km off-line bypass and associated junctions. The bypass will separate local road users from those travelling longer distances, including to the ports. This will lead to improved road safety for local communities and road users, as well as providing better journey time reliability.

Humza Yousaf, Minister for Transport and Islands said:

"This announcement marks another significant milestone towards delivering a bypass for the town of Maybole and comes hot on the heels of ground investigation work which got underway earlier this month.

"The Scottish Government remains committed to delivering the Maybole Bypass and recent progress will enable work to press ahead in the New Year to bring much needed relief for the Maybole community as well as improving journey times for long distance road users.”

Following the award of the construction contract, work is expected to get underway on the main construction by the end of 2018.
https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/a77 ... ss-update/
I’m delighted this is actually happening after all these years.
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Glad to see RJ on the shortlist - great contractor - we need some boost for the local contractors but why the long lead time to Autumn next year - I used to 6 weeks to price a tender in the 70's
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year