Northern Ireland vs Republic of Ireland

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MDTyKe

Post by MDTyKe »

I know what you're saying, but from what I've seen of the new road, it looks good!

A lot of it is actually tarred already (or asphalted, whichever I don't know). and to be honest I think it will be opened way ahead of schedule. A lot of it is done on the Irish side, with less done on the NI side - there's 1 lane almost finished for a lot of the way, with the other flattened without tar.

The old road was a complete disgrace, with ridiculous bends and cars flying on to it from every direction. A friend of mine lost a family member on it last year - was turning into one of the smaller roads (Ravensdale) when a lorry rammed in to the car. Hopefully that'll soon be a thing of the past.

Matt
mackerski

Re: A few pics from today's outing...

Post by mackerski »

murphaph wrote: This sign however remains!
That sign looks valid to me. It's at the terminal point of a motorway (pathetic though it may be), so patching is allowed.

However, the new green panel pointing to Malahide is definitely contrary to the TSM. It would be funny if we weren't paying for all this...
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I know what you mean about MSA's on the route. We left Dublin in the morning on our way to Belfast and being unable to get a cup of tea and a snack in the hotel we were sure we'd find somewhere to stop before we got to Belfast. In the end there was nowhere, we were in Belfast before we had our breakfast :s
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Mark Hewitt wrote:I know what you mean about MSA's on the route. We left Dublin in the morning on our way to Belfast and being unable to get a cup of tea and a snack in the hotel we were sure we'd find somewhere to stop before we got to Belfast. In the end there was nowhere, we were in Belfast before we had our breakfast :s
There's a hotel near the border called the Carrickdale. There's the Sheepbridge Hotel north of Newry. I think these two may be the only two hotels readily accessible from the Belfast Dublin route.

Unsurprisingly the Carrickdale does a lot of business. You should see it after 1am at night. There are so many half dressed co.untry girls spilling out onto the road that it looks like a red light district
MDTyKe

Post by MDTyKe »

Both hotels are an absolute disgrace.

There's a new hotel (a mini skyscraper) just off the M1 (Dundalk South) at Dundalk now - www.crowneplazadundalk.ie

Seems quite nice. It's right beside the DKIT Wind Turbine (and no, its practically silent) too See here

Just another note - this is a picture of the new hotel development. It's adjacent to DKIT - the buildings on the right which are new student accomodation buildings, and the others some offices and a new student sports center.
SouthWest Philip

Re: A few pics from today's outing...

Post by SouthWest Philip »

murphaph wrote:Image
What's with (N11) being signed? Has the N11 been extended northwards to Malahide? And, if so, why? Surely if you were going to link Malahide to the national trunk road network it would be by extending the N32 and leaving the roads through north Dublin as R-routes?
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

That sign dates from the days before the M50 was a complete C ring. ie. the N11/M11 required a trip off motorway to get to from this point. They decided to send it via the East Link bridge and so N11 is signed but it never extended into North Dublin. Malahide is simply incorrect as the N32 doesn't go there, though the N32 doesn't terminate in a distinctive town/city like most other N roads (N33 would be another example).
Located

Post by Located »

the N32 terminates at the Darndale Hilton 8-)
IrlRon

Post by IrlRon »

Indeed, with no offence to anyone living in Clarehall or Donaghmede, why the N32 is a primary route is a bit of a mystery. It simply doesn't go anywhere interesting, other than the biggest Tesco's in the country and the aforementioned Hilton. It terminates on an R-road which is of better quality (towards town) than it is - its a D1+bus lane dual carrigeway for a strech. It and the N82 (which joins the N7 and N81 by going through a business park!) need their N-road status examined.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'm going to be cheeky and ask if there any more Port Tunnel photos out there...

Incidentally, any photos of Irish roads (either side of the border) would be great!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
odlum

Post by odlum »

Bryn666 wrote:I'm going to be cheeky and ask if there any more Port Tunnel photos out there...

Incidentally, any photos of Irish roads (either side of the border) would be great!
Hi Bryn,

Not many yet since cars cant enter it atm. Here is an interesting one though from flickr.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/133/3541 ... 00.jpg?v=0
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

That looks alright enough - not long now before cars are allowed in I take it?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
odlum

Post by odlum »

Bryn666 wrote:That looks alright enough - not long now before cars are allowed in I take it?

Yes, sometime in the next 2 or 3 weeks it will be open to cars. Its really just a 'run in' period atm just to see that things are working out for hauliers. Been a fair few closures so far.