A3 Hindhead Tunnel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

boing_uk
Account deactivated at user request

Post by boing_uk »

SouthWest Philip wrote:Shouldn't the studs be all-red on both sides of the road in this instance?
The studs should be red on the "front" and blank on the "rear", so that all a driver sees is red on the nearside and white in the centre.

A very very dangerous mistake and could potentially be very costly litigiously if theres an accident and a clever lawyer gets wind of it.
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

boing_uk wrote:
SouthWest Philip wrote:Shouldn't the studs be all-red on both sides of the road in this instance?
The studs should be red on the "front" and blank on the "rear", so that all a driver sees is red on the nearside and white in the centre.
A very very dangerous mistake and could potentially be very costly litigiously if theres an accident and a clever lawyer gets wind of it.
On the topic of studs, I was playing Trivial Pursuit and the question came up what do blue road studs indicate. Knowing the TSRGD as I do I know that blue is not a permitted colour but according to the answer its police access roads. Strangely blue studs are an option in the Key Lines program stud menu at work.
Has anyone ever seen blue road studs?
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

M4Mark wrote:
boing_uk wrote:
On the topic of studs, I was playing Trivial Pursuit and the question came up what do blue road studs indicate. Knowing the TSRGD as I do I know that blue is not a permitted colour but according to the answer its police access roads. Strangely blue studs are an option in the Key Lines program stud menu at work.
Has anyone ever seen blue road studs?
Back in the 70's they use to use them on ECP's Mark. Also, you had three together 300yds before it, 2 together at 200yd's and one at 100yds
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

I seem to recall Blue studs being in the old 1986 TSM on road markings...
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
M4Mark

Post by M4Mark »

Haydn1971 wrote:I seem to recall Blue studs being in the old 1986 TSM on road markings...
Nope, not in the 1986 TSM , the 1965 TSM or the 1975 TSRGD.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Some photos of the works form yesterday

Tree clkearance has started atthe Bramshott common junction site and also between the Hazel Grove Intgerchange and the site of the southern tunnel portal.

Bramshott Interchange site

Hazel Grove Intershange site

Tunnel portal site in distance

Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Tunnel portal site in distance

That will make a good before and after shot when complete.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Strangely all I can see is woodland being trashed. Cant see it as the much needed new road its intended to become.

Looks a bit close to some houses in one picture - are they staying or facing the same fate as the trees, I wonder?
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Those houses will front onto the new junction and service road at the end of the existing dual carriageway section. Further doen form the Hezekl Grove junction (where the site compound is, the road has pinched some quite large gardens, with the fence delineating the edge of works rather colse to some houses, but they will not be demolished.

These pics show progress so far, which is, as yet tree clearance. I will try to upgate every couple of months or so.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

M4 Cardiff wrote:Those houses will front onto the new junction and service road at the end of the existing dual carriageway section. Further doen form the Hezekl Grove junction (where the site compound is, the road has pinched some quite large gardens, with the fence delineating the edge of works rather colse to some houses, but they will not be demolished.

These pics show progress so far, which is, as yet tree clearance. I will try to upgate every couple of months or so.
Even so, I think I'd be pretty p****d off if it was my house and garden! Especialy the garden :D
A303Chris

Re: A3 Hindhead Tunnel

Post by A303Chris »

Thought I would reboot this thread instead of creating a new thread.

It is 10 years since this opened and there is a good article on Hampshire Live, looking back with some excellent photos of construction. Can't believe its been 10 years!
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

It is good to see the perimeter planting has grown up. The tunnel entrance doesn't look so alien to the forest now.
kevinse16

Post by kevinse16 »

I remember driving through the southbound bore just after it opened, yet the northbound opened a few days later so drove back on the old A3 route just before it closed