A3 Hindhead Tunnel

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

MSAJohnny wrote:Southwick Tunnel definatley doesn't have crossover points. I have a photo...
Well you don't even get past first base then!!
I take it the tunnels and road surfaces are designed to be maintenance free??!!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Like said, when there is work needed to be done, they just send you down the A270. There are 'secret signs' (is there an official name for them?) and everything waiting...
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
mr_roggger

Post by mr_roggger »

Please build this now! I can't wait, even though I very rarely use this route, look at what it was like today. Please note, Sunday, 20:11, and the speed indicated. I was mightily pleased to see the cones at the Southern end marking the start of work!
This turned out to be due to a minor shunt just by the Begley farm fork left.
I am liking the 2 lanes for straight on at the bottom end tho', forgot that was there, passed about 30 cars that way :D
AJK1982

Post by AJK1982 »

novaecosse wrote:
MSAJohnny wrote:Southwick Tunnel definatley doesn't have crossover points. I have a photo...
Well you don't even get past first base then!!
I take it the tunnels and road surfaces are designed to be maintenance free??!!
From local live pictures it looks like there is one just to the south of the tunnel and one much further to the east, almost at Hangleton. If there is no crossover, what is the point of the lane control?
I circumnavigated Britain solely using A-roads. Read about my 3500 mile journey here.
Phil

Post by Phil »

I presume that the lane control is there in case of a breakdown within the tunnel requiring the closure of one lane as it is impossible to move the car off the road as it is outside of tunnels. I suspect that any pre planned lane closures would use conventional traffic management (i.e. cones, etc) in addition to the lane control signs
SarahJ

Post by SarahJ »

I have seen the lane control signs on the southwick tunnel on about once in 4 years, though there was nothing going on. The crossing points are now very overgrown. Lewis lives closer, so I'm sure he can get pics.

SJ
Lewis

Post by Lewis »

SarahJ wrote:I have seen the lane control signs on the southwick tunnel on about once in 4 years, though there was nothing going on. The crossing points are now very overgrown. Lewis lives closer, so I'm sure he can get pics.

SJ
You called? :D

There are crossover points at each end of the tunnel, but they dont look like they are for general use.

East
West

However, there are proper gaps a short distance either side. You can see the western one in the second link. Ive only seen the lane control signs on in the tunnels a couple of times, and it was due to accidents. Both times it seems that I was one of the last cars through before the road was closed and traffic sent down the A270.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

On the M4 tunnels at Newport, a few months ago they had a night time contraflow in place, how would this of worked with orders, setting out etc?
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

Heard on the local TV news this morning. Work started today on the new tunnel and Hindhead bypass. Just fencing and relocation of wildlife for now but it is a start. Wont be open until the mid 2010's though!
Andy_J

Post by Andy_J »

Right, just been up to the exibition and had a word with the guy from the HA about contraflows in the tunnels.
He seems to think they wouldnt need an special orders to do this as it will have some kind of "at the HA's descretion" type thing going on, so all it needs is some cones, open the gates and fire up the VMS's.
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Andy_J wrote:Right, just been up to the exibition and had a word with the guy from the HA about contraflows in the tunnels.
He seems to think they wouldnt need an special orders to do this as it will have some kind of "at the HA's descretion" type thing going on, so all it needs is some cones, open the gates and fire up the VMS's.
As one who has been involved in closures/contraflows etc many times on HA routes I can assure you that he was talking through his ****. Bloody shiny suits :evil:
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

highwaymana31 wrote:
Andy_J wrote:Right, just been up to the exibition and had a word with the guy from the HA about contraflows in the tunnels.
As one who has been involved in closures/contraflows etc many times on HA routes I can assure you that he was talking through his ****. Bloody shiny suits :evil:
Glenn, I have seen a copy of the proposed protocol for emergency and maintenance contraflows and closures. There is to be a TTRO renewed on an annual basis.
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

RichardA35 wrote:
highwaymana31 wrote:
Glenn, I have seen a copy of the proposed protocol for emergency and maintenance contraflows and closures. There is to be a TTRO renewed on an annual basis.
So there is a "special order"... :wink:

MOTORAL1987
Banned

Post by MOTORAL1987 »

I wish they just get on with it!
Richardf

Post by Richardf »

MOTORAL1987 wrote:I wish they just get on with it!
Is that not what I told you they were doing?

You can't build a new road overnight, particularly a D2 incorporating 2 tunnels!

Yes I know the area has waited 40 years for it to come but just have a bit more patience!

I just wish they had done something like this at Winchester, rather than the monstrosity we have now, but thats another topic entirely........
cabriolet214

Post by cabriolet214 »

Andyf wrote:I just wish they had done something like this at Winchester, rather than the monstrosity we have now, but thats another topic entirely........
I agree absolutely. I also wish they'd get on and do something along similar lines with the A303 past Stonehenge but, again, that's an entirely different topic...
samxool

Post by samxool »

i drove down the A3 at hindhead and around the devil's punchbowl the other day. There were all these roadworks ahead signs and then followed by temporary traffic light sings. When i finally got to them, the temporary traffic lights weren't working, but they were at the Brook turn-off, which is right next to where the A3 turns to S2! that is the cause of all the queues.
if the temporary traffic lights are activated, i dread to think how bad the queues are. While i can't be positive why they are they, i can only guess its to do with the Hindhead tunnel. I really hope it is finally going ahead!!!! :D
Andy_J

Post by Andy_J »

The lights are there as theyre doing a bit of tree clearing and adjustments to the Bowlhead Green turn, I assume to allow the big logging lorries out there theyve been clearing the new approach to the tunnel.

The lights effectivly turn a D2 road int an S1 when theyre on though, which is scary, as the traffic for the lights queues up in BOTH lanes heading southbound. Thats gotta be a bit dodgy hasnt it?
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

I passed though Hindhead on the A3 recently. As ever, it was a little slow climbing the hill from the end of the dual carriageway (London side) to the traffic lights, but a good opportunity to see the start of works on the bypass/tunnel.

Anyway, whilst queuing in traffic, I noticed what I think may be a misuse of the red/orange studs marking the edges of the single carriageway.

On this part of the A3 they have used the split red/orange studs - the ones that are a different colour dependent on which direction you're coming from - on both sides of the single carriageway. These are usually used on the right hand boundary on motorways/dual carriageway but on a single carriageways they could give the impression (although there are double white lines) that the off-side boundary is the central reservation, not the opposite lane. Shouldn't the studs be all-red on both sides of the road in this instance? Perhaps Highwayman Glenn could answer because I think this may one of his roads??
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

SouthWest Philip wrote: On this part of the A3 they have used the split red/orange studs - the ones that are a different colour dependent on which direction you're coming from - on both sides of the single carriageway. These are usually used on the right hand boundary on motorways/dual carriageway but on a single carriageways they could give the impression (although there are double white lines) that the off-side boundary is the central reservation, not the opposite lane. Shouldn't the studs be all-red on both sides of the road in this instance? Perhaps Highwayman Glenn could answer because I think this may one of his roads??
Not one of mine Philip, but I'll pass it on to the guy that does look after that route so that he can pass it on to the contractors who are "guests" on our network. Thanks for the heads-up