Deliberately Misleading Road Signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

I find when driving one-up that the only wrong turnings I take are where the signage conflicts with what appears to be the natural route on the map :(
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

RichieGraham wrote:Not a diversion, but in Honiton, traffic for Cullompton is signed along the A373, but coming in from the A35 (south east), you're signed to turn right, onto the A30 (also passing under the road you want to go on), back into town, up through the town centre and turn left onto the A373. :?
That's because there is a 7.5t weight limit between the A35 and the A373 turning through Honiton town centre.
Andrew

Long diversion

Post by Andrew »

There is currently a very looooong diversion in place near Alton, Hampshire - that must be at least 10 times longer than the section of closed road.

The B3004 is closed to the west of East Worldham.(map).

The diversion (from Alton end) is A31(W), A32(S) to West Meon Hut, A272(E) to Petersfield, A3(N), A325(N) - somewhere in the region of 30 miles instead of less than 3! :o

I can only assume this is to cater for HGV traffic as the B3006 through Seborne has a 7.5cwt limit and heading round to North, the A325 in Farnham has a low bridge. Still, you thought they could sign 2 diversion routes, 1 for HGVs and 1 for the rest of us.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Similar situation near South Molton at the moment. A 1 mile section of the A399 is closed overnight at the moment. All traffic is being sent on a 20 mile detour via Barnstaple along S2 roads. This even includes traffic coming from the S1 road from Simonsbath - which could easily divert to North Molton, and then follow an S2 road to the A361 and follow that to the A399.
NewportMonmouthshire

Re: Deliberately Misleading Road Signs

Post by NewportMonmouthshire »

Paul Townsend wrote: That's disgusting. I know the area and I can visualise the route (via Woodlands roundabout at the top of Malpas) and realise that it's a **** of a long way round. Malpas Road may be an urban D2 but it's also a residential road with shops and other businesses along its length, not good for the endless procession of coaches you get on match days. Why did they even contemplate such a route?
It used to be the other way around - i.e. get off at J25a then take the A4042 towards the city centre then turn around at the Harlequin and back up Malpas Road to J26. The signs on the J25a sliproads still have M4 (W) signage, but they are patched over and a tiny M4 (W) sticker sends you the opposite way to the top end of Malpas... IMO neither route is really appropriate as they both involve residential/commercial areas.
My choice of diversion to get past Newport would be to leave at J24, take the A48 ex A455 to the south of the city centre and continue on the A48
Yes, that is certainly the best route now, but obviously it didn't exist as a through-route when the Brynglas Tunnels alternative routes were signed.
RichieGraham

Post by RichieGraham »

RichardA35 wrote:
RichieGraham wrote:Not a diversion, but in Honiton, traffic for Cullompton is signed along the A373, but coming in from the A35 (south east), you're signed to turn right, onto the A30 (also passing under the road you want to go on), back into town, up through the town centre and turn left onto the A373. :?
That's because there is a 7.5t weight limit between the A35 and the A373 turning through Honiton town centre.
Yes, that makes sense... still irritating when you're pushed for time and you passengers miss a bus by about a minute...
DavidBrown wrote:Similar situation near South Molton at the moment. A 1 mile section of the A399 is closed overnight at the moment. All traffic is being sent on a 20 mile detour via Barnstaple along S2 roads. This even includes traffic coming from the S1 road from Simonsbath - which could easily divert to North Molton, and then follow an S2 road to the A361 and follow that to the A399.
Yes, I can see that would be better, although as a resident of North Molton I prefer not to have all the evening traffic to Simonsbath and Brayford coming through my quiet little village :wink: [/quote]
I'm so embarassed that I wish everybody else would just die; Bender Bending Rodrẽguez, Futurama
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

I spotted this sign today on the M53 heading southbound

Sorry for the cheesy recreation (thats meant to be a comma and a & sign btw) but still; bearing in mind we are on the M53 Southbound (or in otherwords heading Away from Liverpool), why are we advised to use the A41? Especially as the A552 could have been used before the A41 when heading southbound.

Oddly, there isn't a corrisponding sign Northbound, strange ay?
superbfc

Post by superbfc »

wallasey wrote:Sorry for the cheesy recreation (thats meant to be a comma and a & sign btw)...
Have you not got these?
<a href="http://www.lunastation.info" target="_blank">l u n a s t a t i o n</a>

<a href="http://wanderlust.myby.co.uk" target="_blank">=WANDERLUST=</a>
kieron

Post by kieron »

wallasey wrote:why are we advised to use the A41?
Where was that sign? It would make some sense if it was after J4 and said "Liverpool Rd" instead of just Liverpool (that being the best route to Chester Zoo P&R), but not so much before the A552.
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

From Lincoln, Grantham was always signed via the A46 and A1, (sticking to the primary routes) despite the dire nature of the (pre-dualling) A46, and the fact that most locals used the A607
wallasey

Post by wallasey »

kieron wrote:
wallasey wrote:why are we advised to use the A41?
Where was that sign? It would make some sense if it was after J4 and said "Liverpool Rd" instead of just Liverpool (that being the best route to Chester Zoo P&R), but not so much before the A552.
Its signposted at J5 which is Eastham/Queensferry, where the A41 is named "New Chester Road". This is what is so baffleing! I think the "Park and Ride" part of the sign is referring to the facility at Hooton or Eastham Rake

Btw, I do have the fonts, just that the " & " sign wasn't working, Will re-download! Many Thanks for that!
kieron

Post by kieron »

wallasey wrote:Its signposted at J5 which is Eastham/Queensferry, where the A41 is named "New Chester Road". This is what is so baffleing! I think the "Park and Ride" part of the sign is referring to the facility at Hooton or Eastham Rake
I was just trying to think of a way in which a sign like that could be useful on that carriageway (as the A41 is briefly known as Liverpool Road in Chester), although the more I think about it the less plausible it seems.