IRL: M50 updates

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: IRL: M50 updates

Post by c2R »

An interesting idea.... but I can't see it because of geography more than anything else....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
odlum

Post by odlum »

Moving the port to the north would have advantages. It would also have good rail and motorway access.

However it already has that as it is so not sure if that's a benefit point for moving.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Bridge count...J4

Aside from roads the junction features a railway line, canal, gas pipeline...and a gym in the middle. :laugh:
nirs

Post by nirs »

odlum wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 23:43Aside from roads the junction features a railway line, canal, gas pipeline...and a gym in the middle. :laugh:
It looks a mess from above, but I must say it's impressive that they made it all work for all those different utilities and transport links. The canal is particularly special. Whoever completed the design must have sat back and then gone off for a long weekend!
Northern Ireland Roads Site www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads
odlum

Post by odlum »

It does look messy and convoluted but it's a fantastic piece of engineering overall.

I don't know if you have gone through the junction (a part from the mainline) but it works pretty well. No confusion as to where to go or anything like that.

The slips that snake around the roundabout will be the mainline when the M3 is designated - that's how the motorway will terminate with the M50.

As to why they had to build it like it is - I can only assume the owners of the gym didn't want to move. In a way i'm glad because it's got a uniqueness to it. However it must have added hideous expense at the same time. I'm sure they would much rather have dealt with the roundabout as per the other junctions.

edit: it's J6, not J4...
Last edited by odlum on Tue Oct 30, 2018 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

I love the uniqueness to the Blanchardstown junction, the steepness of the flyover and the nod to its history but I do find it a little disorientating to navigate. It's probably a problem exclusive to Sabristi who try to picture the layout rather than relying on the signs alone.

Blanchardstown village to M50 south via Dunsink Lane is my nemesis.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
jackal

Post by jackal »

Compared to J5, J7 or J9 there are more movements to be accommodated, which presumably explains why the roundabout and smaller at-grade junctions were kept. I agree it's a great piece of engineering. I particularly like the cheeky bit of braiding east of the roundabout - to reduce weaving at a signalized crossroads, no less.

As for being disorientating, the freeflow junctions on the M50 have offside entries and exits aplenty, which are pretty unusual to British eyes, though appropriate to the high proportions of turning traffic.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The Irish don't have rigid standards wonks who'd sacrifice all the capacity using a non-standard offside exit would deliver in favour of a "non-confusing" roundabout.

See also the M28 plans which involve splitting the mainline around an existing GSJ.

I actually think Irish motorway engineers are better than ours now for these reasons.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Euan

Post by Euan »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 08:41 I actually think Irish motorway engineers are better than ours now for these reasons.
Many of the existing Irish motorways were built within the last 20 years and so have been able to take advantage of more modern design and layout techniques. After all this is much easier to do than to try and apply an upgrade to an existing motorway which comes with all the traffic disruptions, delays and diversions. Even now, the Irish still have some very ambitious motorway projects such as the Atlantic Corridor to eventually link Waterford and Letterkenny by motorway via the west coast which will no doubt see even better junction and road designs being applied with ease.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
odlum

Post by odlum »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 08:41 The Irish don't have rigid standards wonks who'd sacrifice all the capacity using a non-standard offside exit would deliver in favour of a "non-confusing" roundabout.

See also the M28 plans which involve splitting the mainline around an existing GSJ.

I actually think Irish motorway engineers are better than ours now for these reasons.
I wouldn't say they are "better" given there are great interchanges in the UK and UK engineers are some of the best in the world. More free perhaps to express themselves.

The Irish motorways are weird. It's like they try to balance 4 styles at once. European, British, American and the distinctly Irish (yellow hard shoulders etc).

If you are on a UK motorway - you know it's a British road with 100% British style markings, layouts, signage. That goes to the rigid standards you mention which are unique to the UK.

With Irish roads you get a mix of everything in this bizarre soup of styles.

A slip road at the Sandyford interchange, I love this type of thing...also love the standard of the build. Irish roads have many faults but the motorways are exceptionally well looked after in terms of asthetics and landscapes.
Sandyford.jpg
Euan

Post by Euan »

I think the most significant American element on Irish roads has to be the yellow diamond shaped warning signs, such as those warning of road narrowing or of traffic signals ahead. Many of the regulatory (circular) signs seem to have a distinctly British element to them - many of which look exactly the same as their British counterparts such as no entry, keep left/right etc. What is really good about Irish roads in general is that the use of metric units is clearly acknowledged on signs by including "km/h" on speed limit signs (including "km" headings over the distance column on route confirmation signs). This is particularly useful on the M50 as the speed limit changes on different stretches of the motorway based on differing typical volumes of traffic. Many other countries would struggle to state their unit system quite so clearly, but RoI is a bit of a special case as there would otherwise be a bit of confusion for drivers crossing the border as a result of switching from miles to kilometres.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

The reason is far more prosaic: distances in kilometres were introduced as signs were replaced from 1977 onwards, and fingerposts with distances in miles were still extremely common in the mid-1990s. Speed limits were changed overnight (literally) but it was still necessary to avoid confusion with the signs they had just replaced.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Here is some presentation slides on the works on eMOS preparations on the M50 for demand management.

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/conferenc ... -Feely.pdf

The works are ongoing nightly and due to be completed in the 3rd quarter of 2019.
odlum

Post by odlum »

Nice pic looking east from tweet below showing western 'parkway' section, very visible. Dublin Airport is top left in the distance for reference.

https://twitter.com/DefecatorPlus/statu ... 3476637697

It's a pity the images have to be so small on the forum :(
Euan

Post by Euan »

That is a superb photo. The busier sections along the M50 are clearly visible and appear brighter than the quieter sections of the motorway.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I took this a few months ago from a very similar position in the sky. Unfortunately it isn't a patch on that night shot and I always end up sitting above the wing :@
Attachments
m50.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Euan wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:15 That is a superb photo. The busier sections along the M50 are clearly visible and appear brighter than the quieter sections of the motorway.
Also evidence of the progress of LED lighting.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
odlum

Post by odlum »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:42 I took this a few months ago from a very similar position in the sky. Unfortunately it isn't a patch on that night shot and I always end up sitting above the wing :@
Great effort :D 8-)
Euan

Post by Euan »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 22:42 I took this a few months ago from a very similar position in the sky. Unfortunately it isn't a patch on that night shot and I always end up sitting above the wing :@
Howth Head can still be made out on the edge of the photo to use as a reference point for comparisons between the photos. Not a bad effort at all.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

VSL finally being switched on on the M50, but for now it'll be advisory only (and therefore not really VSL).
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham