A6118 at Wansford in Cambridgeshire

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AtlanticHighway

A6118 at Wansford in Cambridgeshire

Post by AtlanticHighway »

At Wansford near Peterborough, there is a stretch of A road that is only about 800metres long. Does anybody know why is it "A" status, since this road only goes to the village which has a B road running through the middle of it.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

No I don't, but it might be there as an alternative to the incredibly tight slips at A1/A47?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
A68Nick
Account deactivated at user request

Re: A6118 at Wansford in Cambridgeshire

Post by A68Nick »

AtlanticHighway wrote:At Wansford near Peterborough, there is a stretch of A road that is only about 800metres long. Does anybody know why is it "A" status, since this road only goes to the village which has a B road running through the middle of it.
I'm afraid I have no idea but for those wishing to know the location, they can be found here.

It does indeed seem a bit weird that the A6118 should exist for such a tiny stretch and only to provide an alternative link between the A1 and the A47. My only thought is that A-road status may provide certain additional levels of funding.

Cheers,
Nick
AtlanticHighway

Post by AtlanticHighway »

Even starnger, given how short it is, it almost goes through 3 county/unitary areas, Cambridgeshire and Peterborough UA, but only about 100metres from Northants border. It would seem more logical for the B671 to continue through the village and make the slip onto it primary.
Paul

Post by Paul »

It's a historical artifact: it used to be the A1 before the bypass ("Old North Road" -- bit of a giveaway). Also the meeting point of two Roman Roads. I like going past Wansford on trips to/from Cambridge as there's a Little Chef that occupies what looks like a 1930s cinema.
Regards,
Paul
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

It is only an unofficial link between the A1 and A47 as the A6118 isn't signed off the A1 - signs only indicate that the turning leads to Wansford itself.

Also, that Little Chef was one of the ones that closed following the recent takeover!

Andy
Andy

If you've got it, a truck brought it!
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

A68Nick wrote:
AtlanticHighway wrote:At Wansford near Peterborough, there is a stretch of A road that is only about 800metres long. Does anybody know why is it "A" status, since this road only goes to the village which has a B road running through the middle of it.
I'm afraid I have no idea but for those wishing to know the location, they can be found here.

It does indeed seem a bit weird that the A6118 should exist for such a tiny stretch and only to provide an alternative link between the A1 and the A47. My only thought is that A-road status may provide certain additional levels of funding.

Cheers,
Nick
Cf. the 'old' A4032 in Hagley, Worcs.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Driving past earlier, the A6118 has been obscured from the signs. I'm not sure if its been declassified or if instead the number has simply been covered up as it doesn't really add anything in terms of navigation (and perhaps even detracts from it).
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

On the A1 north and southbound references to the A6118 at Wansford have not been included in the new signage put up recently as well.

They could extend the B671 to Wansford if needs be.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, I certainly wouldn’t recommend it being kept as an A-road. It’s only an S2 bridge.
Euan

Post by Euan »

It is a strange one. One would think that the B671 to the south would have been more entitled to an A number than the old road through Wansford. In comparison to most roads with unsigned numbers (often links in town centres or to piers) this one seems rather long to be unsigned.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

It is still signed from the A47.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 07:14 It is still signed from the A47.
Looking through older Street View imagery the number was not signed at all on the A1 as of 2009, so the anomaly has existed for quite a long time. The A6118 number is probably still in use despite not being signed on the A1. But have you noticed that the exit slip at the southern end of the road is in quite poor condition? The images are from over a year ago and I do not know if it still looks like this now, but the road surface is very poor and the area looks slightly overgrown. Not signing the number might "discourage" drivers from using the slip if it is not that suitable for large amounts of traffic.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

You are thinking of the London Road (A6118) turn-off, aren’t you?? Not the Peterborough Road turn-off (next to the Mermaid/Little Chef/Ducati).

That is like a country lane in the dark.

The plain fact is, if you’ve somehow managed to survive crossing the bridge, you’ve got one hill, and then another steeper hill to follow, to get back to the A47 (and A1).

You really don’t want anyone other than locals around there. :wink:
Mettie

Post by Mettie »

Berk wrote:Yes, I certainly wouldn’t recommend it being kept as an A-road. It’s only an S2 bridge.
Actually, it’s an S1 bridge, which makes it very interesting when people don’t bother reading the signs at either end, and try to storm straight over! Cue a certain amount of arm waving, and sudden reversing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Berk

Post by Berk »

I meant S1 - must be my phone typing... :|
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Euan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 08:37
Berk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 07:14 It is still signed from the A47.
Looking through older Street View imagery the number was not signed at all on the A1 as of 2009, so the anomaly has existed for quite a long time. The A6118 number is probably still in use despite not being signed on the A1. But have you noticed that the exit slip at the southern end of the road is in quite poor condition? The images are from over a year ago and I do not know if it still looks like this now, but the road surface is very poor and the area looks slightly overgrown. Not signing the number might "discourage" drivers from using the slip if it is not that suitable for large amounts of traffic.
For avoidance of doubt, it's this sign that has the number covered up: https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5849479 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Euan

Post by Euan »

The sign must have been covered up within the last year and a half or so. Has the number been covered up on the other signs at the roundabout since Google's most recent trip there as well? If it really is the case the A6118 is now genuinely defunct, the most logical step to take would be to simply extend the B671 through Wansford and place the number over any signs which still have the old number on them rather than leaving the B671 as it is which would be isolated from the A1/A47.
Berk

Post by Berk »

That’s on the A47, like I said. And if it has been covered up, it must’ve been within the last few weeks/months.

I don’t get around there half as much as I used to, but that sign was still untouched last year.

And whilst extending the B671 into Wansford itself is a good idea, it would be even better if it was extended back along ‘old’ Oundle Road, even all the way to the A15 in Peterborough.

The A605 within Peterborough is obviously a relic of times past. No-one would expect to use it as a through route now. It’s telling how it’s replacemenr starts a junction down off the A1.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Euan wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 08:55 The sign must have been covered up within the last year and a half or so.
It'll be within the last four months or so as that was the last time I went that way.
Has the number been covered up on the other signs at the roundabout since Google's most recent trip there as well?
No idea, I travelled from A1N to A47W
If it really is the case the A6118 is now genuinely defunct
I don't know that it necessarily is the case; more likely that hiding the number is done to try and prevent anyone driving that way thinking it goes somewhere useful because it has an "A" number.