A1 GSJs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

Go to http://www.stamfordtoday.co.uk/ViewArti ... ID=2218991 for an article from the stamford paper's website. Suggests full on activity will start around the 23rd, with Carpenters Lodge completed next Feb, and Colsterworth in June
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Thanks for that link. There is still no inkling of the imminent works planned for Stamford and nothing new has happened at Colsterworth. Gravel for the new road bed was being laid at Gonerby Moor and the embankments for the road over the top of the junction are coming along nicely.

Andy
Andy

If you've got it, a truck brought it!
ABeaton

Post by ABeaton »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
jmbillings wrote:
Not quite - there is the one a few miles south of the A14 junction, with the "Car Transportes prohibited at Kimbolton" sign!
Buckden here

Any plans to bypass this one? Looks too built up to have a GSJ.[/url]
That junction does look like fun and games to upgrade that junction. Still at least work is to start at Stamford and the Colsterworth. It will speed up the A1 a great deal. Just wich the HA would speed up thier works.
Dartford, the town with 4 by-passes.
bucephalus

Post by bucephalus »

ABeaton wrote:...It will speed up the A1 a great deal. Just wich the HA would speed up thier works.
When is the entire scheme expected to be completed? On a more general note. Is it a good idea to demolish GSJs and carraigeways on the A1 when sections of the A1(M) are built? I ask this question because what happens when the motorway is closed?
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

bucephalus wrote:When is the entire scheme expected to be completed?
IIRC, Blyth, Five Lanes End, Markham Moor and Gonerby Moor will be finished late this year, with Colsterworth and Stamford in mid-2008.

Andy
Andy

m11ldncam

Post by m11ldncam »

If you look at the individual site pages on the Highways Agency Main Project then for the ones already under construction Blyth etc you will find a link to the individual Works Programmes. Ok it is only at a high level but at least gives a rough idea at a month level as to what work is scheduled and the final completion dates. Presume something similar will be added for the Carpenters Lodge / Colsterworth once they start next week
m11ldncam

Post by m11ldncam »

The Works plans for Colsterworth & Carpenters Lodge are now added showing completion dates of March & July 08

Also they have added CGI's of the existing and proposed junctions for all apart from Gonerby Moor

Looking at all the works programmes Markham Moor will be the last to finish in Aug08

When these have all finished what a difference it will be. Roll-on Wetherby and Dishforth - Scotch Cnr works
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

The trench for the underpass at Blyth is coming along nicely and over 50% of the surfacing has been laid on the new alignment at Five Lanes End. The groundwork looks nearly complete at Gonerby Moor too.

Colsterworth hasn't seen much action so far though; some more cones appeared last week and there was a census being carried out last Tuesday. Does anyone know what will happen to the services and the Esso garage at this site? I think I read somewhere that the truckstop just down the A151 will have to close, but I haven't heard about the services.

There is still nowt happening at Stamford. Have they forgotten about it?

Andy
Andy

Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

There's been awful congestion at the Blyth roadworks for months now, hopefully the main carraigeways will be in soon.

Are all these GSJ's going to be D3 or at least built to allow D3 in the future? Or is that too obvious for the road planners?
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Are all these GSJ's going to be D3 or at least built to allow D3 in the future? Or is that too obvious for the road planners?
No, they are going to be D2. The budget doesn't allow for D3. It's thought that if the rest of the road were to be upgraded to D3M then it would be offline anyway.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

This is all good news for the A1 north of Peterborough, but what about the 5 roundabouts on the 25 mile section between Alconbury and Baldock. Or are these being left as the HA believe most of the traffic going south will use the A14 / M11 or when complete the A421 from Black cat to the M1. I would have though GSJ these would take pressure of the M11 and M1 as it would make it much more attractive
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

A303Chris wrote:This is all good news for the A1 north of Peterborough, but what about the 5 roundabouts on the 25 mile section between Alconbury and Baldock. Or are these being left as the HA believe most of the traffic going south will use the A14 / M11 or when complete the A421 from Black cat to the M1. I would have though GSJ these would take pressure of the M11 and M1 as it would make it much more attractive
There is a kind of idea that there's not much point doing work on these because the road will be motorwayed offline. But I can't see that happening for at least 20 years myself.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

Mark Hewitt wrote:
A303Chris wrote:This is all good news for the A1 north of Peterborough, but what about the 5 roundabouts on the 25 mile section between Alconbury and Baldock. Or are these being left as the HA believe most of the traffic going south will use the A14 / M11 or when complete the A421 from Black cat to the M1. I would have though GSJ these would take pressure of the M11 and M1 as it would make it much more attractive
There is a kind of idea that there's not much point doing work on these because the road will be motorwayed offline. But I can't see that happening for at least 20 years myself.
Depends whereabouts the north-south divide crosses the A1 :roll:
jmbillings

Post by jmbillings »

Carpenters Lodge (Stamford) may start in September by the looks of it. Between the Tinwell and A43 exits heading south, there is a new "Work starts here, Sep 2007 - Sep 2008" sign...
No update from the HWA site yet though.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

Drove past Five Lanes End (Apleyhead) the other day. S/bound, it looks like there's going to be a fairly sharp LH bend onto the new alignment immediately after the railway bridge c. half a mile north of the roundabout. Does anybody know if this bridge is going to be modified at all to fit in with the new carriageways? It's a bit hard to tell looking at the 3d artist's impression on the HA website.
ed

Post by ed »

oes anybody know if this bridge is going to be modified at all to fit in with the new carriageways?
IIRC from the PDFs that HA produced before everything started, all of the works fit in South of the railway bridge so no alterations are needed.

Basically as soon as you cross the bridge, the road will then bear left on the new alignment.

ed.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I think work at Colsterworth is about to start. A Travelodge or similar motel is boarded up, it doesn't look that old either. At 1am this morning one lane of the A1 was coned off and tractors were cutting the grass in the central reservation. I'm not sure if this is related to the GSJ works or whether it's just routine maintenance taking place at night to cause less disruption.

There was nothing happening at Carpenters Lodge so work here has yet to start.

At Gonerby there was a bit of activity and one of the scameras has been removed but nothing major is happening yet.

I didn't go any further north but from the look of these southern junctions progress seems to be rather slow.
Last edited by Truvelo on Wed Jul 18, 2007 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

I've been down and up the A1 a couple of times recently.

Blyth is well on its way to becoming a dumbell GSJ (I think. )

5 Lanes end not a lot going on.

Markhem Moor is gonna be the same huge roundabout with the A1 going over the top.

And Gonerby has a nice new bit of A1 in the fields on your right (southbound) which will cut the corner off but not clear where the sliproads are going to be yet.

Wolfie.
Wolfie

FB me!
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Truvelo wrote:I think work at Colsterworth is about to start. A Travelodge or similar motel is boarded up, it doesn't look that old either.
This isn't connected to the works. It's been closed for several years.

There is a sign n/b at Carpenters Lodge too, just by RAF Wittering, and also one now at Colsterworth, saying that work will run there from Jul 07 to Oct 08, IIRC.

Blyth is on it's way but not much has happened in the last four weeks or so. It's hardly changed at all. I wonder if all the rain has saturated the ground and made it too wet for the heavy plant to operate.

One of the embankments to the overbridge at Five Lanes End is almost complete, as is a similar one at at Gonerby Moor.

Andy
Andy

Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Lonewolf wrote:Markhem Moor is gonna be the same huge roundabout with the A1 going over the top.

Wolfie.
It would have been nice for one of the new GSJs on the A1 to be a proper GSJ roundabout junction, but the Highways Agency has got this artists impression of the old and new Markham Moor layouts. Even Markham Moor is going to end up as a dumb-bell junction..... :(

LINK

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002