Is the A30 at Temple the New Cumberland gap

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Re: Is the A30 at Temple the New Cumberland gap

Post by wrinkly »

RichardEvans67 wrote:Thanks Jen :)

I'm a bit surprised by the way the Crash Barriers start these days.
I suppose it stops them launching anyone into the air if they hit the start of the barrier, but does it stop the barrier from impaling the vehicle ?
They have blunt devices on the ends and the first several yards are specially designed to collapse in stages, bringing the vehicle to a stop.
Lewis1997

Post by Lewis1997 »

Whilst not necessarily directly linked to Temple, I had much interest in watching google maps (traffic flows) down at Carland Cross and couldn't help but notice how traffic appeared to be slowing up/standstill from between Summercourt and Mitchell to the approach of Carland Cross. Whilst inevitably it will be dualled eventually, I was wondering perhaps the introduction of a 50mph speed limit W/B from Summercourt to Carland Cross would help in regulating traffic flows a bit on approaching the Carland Cross roundabout. Likewise, perhaps something similar could be implemented further down beyond Camborne to the Hayle Roundabout. Just a thought though
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

It's rather obvious that removing the bottleneck at Temple increases the rate of flow of traffic reaching Carland Cross from the east and exacerbating the problem. (The same thing happened at Temple from the west. It wasn't that bad until Goss Moor was completed.) They are going to have to get on with this sharpish. Still at least the Newquay-bound are happy.
Paul237

Post by Paul237 »

Really good to see this is finally open! Was hoping to use it this year but it wasn't quite ready in time for my holiday and next year we're considering south Cornwall so likely won't use the A30... I'll get there at some point, though. :)
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Didn't Indian Queens used to be a notorious bottleneck on this same road?
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

Comstock wrote:Didn't Indian Queens used to be a notorious bottleneck on this same road?
Yep! Confluence/multiplex of the A30 and A39, plus the main road to Newquay (A392) thrown in for good measure.
Bypass (end of Goss Moor to Summercourt) opened in 1995.
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

guvvaA303 wrote:
Comstock wrote:Didn't Indian Queens used to be a notorious bottleneck on this same road?
Yep! Confluence/multiplex of the A30 and A39, plus the main road to Newquay (A392) thrown in for good measure.
Bypass (end of Goss Moor to Summercourt) opened in 1995.
Wow, longer ago than I thought. I do remember hearing about dreadful holdups there in the newspapers and on the radio.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Not for me, anyway. What doesn't make sense is why Goss Moor wasn't done first, or even at the same time as Indian Queens, wouldn't have had another 13 years worth of congestion then.

Goes Moor used to be the worst bit until Temple was fixed, though a lot of it was due to bridge bashes.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

It only became the worst after other bottlenecks were sorted. The bigger towns were the worst but, after Okehampton was bypassed in 1988, attention moved to the rural stretches, such as Tregadillet (1989) Oke - Launceston (1993) other parts of Bodmin Moor and then, Indian Queens/Fraddon. When that was done, Goss Moor was the worst. When that was done, Temple was the worst. Now, the attention is switching to the Carland Cross to Blackwater stretch. After that, St Erth to Long Rock rbt.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
C83

Post by C83 »

Carlands Cross will be interesting, as it's less obvious which is the major route beyond there, are there traffic stats for the A30 West v A39 South?

A freeflow split would be the simplest solution, only needs 1 bridge, but that makes local access somewhere between difficult and impossible.
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

C83 wrote:Carlands Cross will be interesting, as it's less obvious which is the major route beyond there, are there traffic stats for the A30 West v A39 South?

A freeflow split would be the simplest solution, only needs 1 bridge, but that makes local access somewhere between difficult and impossible.
Don't know the official stats but it's almost certainly the A30W. The proposed junction is a bit rubbish, marginalising the A39N to A30E movement. A two-bridge GSJ linking to the existing A30 towards Zelah, and the service area would be vastly better. It does say on the official drawings that the layout isn't finalised....

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... tion-d.pdf
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Just seen that Google Earth street view now shows what it looked like in May 2017.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Managed to get stuck in half an hour of eastbound queues last Friday due to lane closures on this new stretch, looking on the Cornwall Council website it seems that the restrictions are finally going to be lifted permanently this week.

Is it cheaper to open a new stretch of D2 earlier and put lane restrictions on it for months to complete groundworks or open it say a month later with all works completed?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... le-1508582
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

Norfolktolancashire wrote:Managed to get stuck in half an hour of eastbound queues last Friday due to lane closures on this new stretch, looking on the Cornwall Council website it seems that the restrictions are finally going to be lifted permanently this week.

Is it cheaper to open a new stretch of D2 earlier and put lane restrictions on it for months to complete groundworks or open it say a month later with all works completed?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... le-1508582
It was due to be finished when it opened last year, but combinations of poor weather and, I expect, some underestimations by Kier they ran late finishing it. They did everything they could to have it open by summer last year, but it's a shame that they have had to narrow it again, and for so long.

Cornwall Council did put out a statement a while ago saying that Kier had been fined for running late.
Harry
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

From looking online it is almost impossible to find out it there is anything still going on. The Kier web page is just blank, and has been for months. Google searches hardly ever turn up anything.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

There are still maintenance vehicles/effects in the compound there, but Temple was all clear when I drove it for the first time east and west over the half term. Perhaps they stopped any remedial works for the holiday. Lovely to go along there again with no holdups. One thing that surprised me: The VMS at the end of the M5 was showing "Bodmin via A30 85 mins" and "Bodmin via A38 90 mins". I know these kind of messages don't reflect the fact that some people exceed 60 mph and are not always a true indicator, but I was surprised at the small difference, knowing how slow some of the A38 west of the Tamar is.
Herned

Post by Herned »

That's odd, Bodmin via A30 on that sign is normally something like 64 minutes - must have been an accident or lane closures somewhere
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Herned wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 17:39 That's odd, Bodmin via A30 on that sign is normally something like 64 minutes - must have been an accident or lane closures somewhere
Whitsun half-term holiday traffic. It slowed in several places, particualrly on the hills; when everyone jumps into the overtaking lane for tractors, caravans and the like.
crowntown100

Post by crowntown100 »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 21:05
Herned wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 17:39 That's odd, Bodmin via A30 on that sign is normally something like 64 minutes - must have been an accident or lane closures somewhere
Whitsun half-term holiday traffic. It slowed in several places, particualrly on the hills; when everyone jumps into the overtaking lane for tractors, caravans and the like.
They had cleared it before the holiday and, AFAIK, it is due to stay that way now.
Harry
Berk

Post by Berk »

Still, 1½ hours max from Exeter to Bodmin isn’t bad at all. :)