Is the A30 at Temple the New Cumberland gap

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

multiraider2

Re: Is the A30 at Temple the New Cumberland gap

Post by multiraider2 »

Yes and I certainly beat the time suggested (although not going into Bodmin itself). From the VMS to the A30/A38 junction took slightly less than 70 minutes on that Saturday.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Google StreetView has now been updated. Coverage is now available during construction - although a few places may not have been captured property, due to contraflows.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 Yes and I certainly beat the time suggested (although not going into Bodmin itself). From the VMS to the A30/A38 junction took slightly less than 70 minutes on that Saturday.
I drive the route a number of times earlier this month and it is certainly a great improvement - now lets see them sort out the stretch between Carland Cross and and Chiverton Cross. I believe its due to start next year.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

KeithW wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 now lets see them sort out the stretch between Carland Cross and and Chiverton Cross. I believe its due to start next year.
Expected to be submitted to the planning inspectorate this autumn, so I would have thought late 2019 or 2020.

https://infrastructure.planninginspecto ... ss-scheme/
Berk

Post by Berk »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 14:17
KeithW wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:42 now lets see them sort out the stretch between Carland Cross and and Chiverton Cross. I believe its due to start next year.
Expected to be submitted to the planning inspectorate this autumn, so I would have thought late 2019 or 2020.

That would just be the ‘thumbs up’. Lots of uncertainties about how the project and funding would proceed due to Brexit.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Berk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 03:00

Google StreetView has now been updated. Coverage is now available during construction - although a few places may not have been captured property, due to contraflows.
I noticed the Google street view, and mentioned it here on December 19th 2017. Although I'll have another look to see if it's been updated more recently.

I've also seen more recently that you can also get an overhead view form June 2017, If you click on the appropriate button. (The one at the top, with a circular arrow pointing anticlockwise).

Edit :
They seem to have tidied up the Street view a little since I last looked.
Last edited by RichardEvans67 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Berk » Sun Jul 22, 2018 16:30

That would just be the ‘thumbs up’. Lots of uncertainties about how the project and funding would proceed due to Brexit.
Well, I assume that if necessary they would find the extra £8m that was from the EU. I'd be more concerned about whether BrExit might lead to budget cutbacks, that may postpone or cancel the scheme.

Also many schemes in the past have been stopped in the late stages. As I said, nothing is certain until they start construction. Well even at that stage it's not totally certain, but I doubt they would stop a scheme after the start of construction.
alans

Post by alans »

Berk wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 16:30
wrinkly wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 14:17

I believe road spending budgets are going to come from VED (road tax) from 2020 or thereabouts,so road spending should be fairly certain,and probably could be increased,I think this is now fixed in law ,as you say ,after brexit nothing is certain .

http://www.infrastructure-intelligence. ... roads-2020
Herned

Post by Herned »

I'm of the opinion that infrastructure spending will be relatively safe as government of whatever persuasion will want to show that they are trying to support the economy, and also the Keynesian effect of the expenditure is useful. As long as the economy doesn't collapse really badly of course...
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by alans » Tue Jul 24, 2018 08:23

I believe road spending budgets are going to come from VED (road tax) from 2020 or thereabouts,so road spending should be fairly certain,and probably could be increased,I think this is now fixed in law ,as you say ,after brexit nothing is certain .

http://www.infrastructure-intelligence. ... roads-2020
It says road tax rases £6bn/Year, which matches something I read a while ago, that the roads investment strategy for 2020-2025 will be £30bn. (That's 5 years, and 5 * 6 = 30).

Well looks hopeful, but I don't like to take anything for granted, as experience tells me that things usually don't turn out as expected.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

Just noticed that Google Earth now shows the road from June 2018. This now shows the completed scheme.
Euan

Post by Euan »

Google Street View still only shows images as recent as May 2017 showing the westbound carriageway being built as part of the dualling of the road to D2. Hopefully it will not be long before Google takes another trip along the A30 as it is now, but Google have not yet updated the layout of the Temple Tor junction on their maps.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

It rather looks as if the middle section was built by symmetric widening, the ‘old’ road forming lane 2 of each carriageway. Also notable are the use of contraflows at various points, where new bridges were built.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

by Euan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 22:33

but Google have not yet updated the layout of the Temple Tor junction on their maps.
Well they now have an overhead image to update their maps from.
Euan

Post by Euan »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 14:15
by Euan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 22:33

but Google have not yet updated the layout of the Temple Tor junction on their maps.
Well they now have an overhead image to update their maps from.
It must just be shown on Google Earth, the satellite image layer on Google Maps is still showing the junction in its old single level layout. If it sounds as if new pictures have indeed been taken then I wouldn't expect it to take too long for the same satellite shots to appear on Google Maps.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

BTW. StreetMap.co.uk has been showing the junction for ages
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=21 ... pp=map.srf