Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by SteveA30 »

It has been mentioned on here that the closure programme is suspended. Best way of finding out is Google maps, which seem to be bang up to date.

(8 minutes later) I've just had a quick whizz around the south and Tothill, Family Farm, Popham, Barton Stacey, Amesbury, West Knoyle* and Stoney Cross are all closed. Any BK's remain open. Only Podimore, Ilminster, Sourton and St Leonards are left now. Looks like my one and only Olympic breakfast will have to be taken earlier than planned, like this weekend.

*As in the photo a few posts below.
Last edited by SteveA30 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Actually, Johnathan 404, could you clarify whether Seaton Burn A1 and Haydon Bridge A69, will still be open around August 11-16, as I'm in Scotland then. Done all the others up the A1. Going to do the Forth Bridge while I still can and a steam trip over the Waverley route, as well as A697, A68, A7 and others. :)
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

SteveA30 wrote:Actually, Johnathan 404, could you clarify whether Seaton Burn A1 and Haydon Bridge A69, will still be open around August 11-16, as I'm in Scotland then. Done all the others up the A1. Going to do the Forth Bridge while I still can and a steam trip over the Waverley route, as well as A697, A68, A7 and others. :)
Nice try but I'm afraid not! Euro Garage's plans are not only closely-guarded secrets, but they are also put together at the very last moment and usually change. Besides, most of what I know is second- or third-hand knowledge that has been passed down.

The list of branches is usually a day behind.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Google will keep me up to date. Forgot about A31 Winterbourne Zelston, which is still open, with a Subway.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Wonder when the local one in Eye's closing?? It's down as Peterborough on the list, just off the A47.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

Berk wrote:Wonder when the local one in Eye's closing?? It's down as Peterborough on the list, just off the A47.
That one effectively serves as the catering for a hotel, so closing it might be a bit more complex than usual (unless the hotel just tells its customers to go to the McDonalds next door).
Berk

Post by Berk »

ais523 wrote:
Berk wrote:Wonder when the local one in Eye's closing?? It's down as Peterborough on the list, just off the A47.
That one effectively serves as the catering for a hotel, so closing it might be a bit more complex than usual (unless the hotel just tells its customers to go to the McDonalds next door).
No, but I see what you mean. Might it go independent??

I did wonder why it was doing so well, though.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Last I heard Greggs was already waiting to replace the restaurant at Eye Green, and was just waiting for the fitters to get some time to do it.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Johnathan404 wrote:Last I heard Greggs was already waiting to replace the restaurant at Eye Green, and was just waiting for the fitters to get some time to do it.
That's unusual - not a brand that I'd heard linked with LC conversions. Although you may know differently.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I wonder how long the one near Haltwhistle has left, or the one at Penrith on the A66. Little Chefs seem to be dropping like autumn leaves at the moment.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Glenn A wrote:Little Chefs seem to be dropping like autumn leaves at the moment.
That will be the "nationwide branch closure" that's been mentioned a billion times in the thread already.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Bangor Services LC is on reduced hours (closing 3pm most days) but is still open. The associated BK is running full hours.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

ais523 wrote:
That hasn't stopped closures elsewhere.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I haven't been inside it yet but the Ely Little Chef is back up and running as a Starbucks.

It is literally unrecognisable as an LC - the exterior walls have been painted black and there's also a sort of pergola thing across the frontage that changes the whole shape and look of the building. I think the windows now go down to the floor.

The Burger King bit still appears to be open.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Those who do read the posts in this thread may be interested in the Little Chef chronology I have written.
Berk wrote:That's unusual - not a brand that I'd heard linked with LC conversions. Although you may know differently.
I can't think of any off the top of my head but there's no reason why there shouldn't be. They have all the agreements in place so it's just a case of ordering a different sign.

In the case of Eye Green, I don't know whether they will eventually make a bid for the hotel and run the whole site, or sell the bakery which will now be worth more than it was as a restaurant which needs to be re-branded by the end of the year.
Sam

Post by Sam »

roadtester wrote:I haven't been inside it yet but the Ely Little Chef is back up and running as a Starbucks.

It is literally unrecognisable as an LC - the exterior walls have been painted black and there's also a sort of pergola thing across the frontage that changes the whole shape and look of the building. I think the windows now go down to the floor.

The Burger King bit still appears to be open.
I went in this morning to scope it out! It's pretty smart, the new style of Starbucks where the chiller cabinet is separate from the counter, so it feels pretty big. A good few people in, a couple of business meetings taking place. Meanwhile work on Newmarket North seems well underway. (I had a breakfast bap in honour of LC's memory!)
Berk

Post by Berk »

So do you just have the standard SB meal options?? Tasty, for sure, but snacky. Might keep you going whilst you're on the road though.

I find it amusing that the LC website is in denial about the closure conversion programme. A bit like Kwik-Save before it went bust... :wink:
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I stopped at the Sutterton (A16/A17 roundabout) Little Chef/BK for a BK this lunchtime and the LC was the busiest I've seen it in years, there must have been a dozen tables in use. The youngest customer at a guess was in their 50s, which would be about the oldest in the BK side of the building.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

SteveA30 wrote:It has been mentioned on here that the closure programme is suspended. Best way of finding out is Google maps, which seem to be bang up to date.

(8 minutes later) I've just had a quick whizz around the south and Tothill, Family Farm, Popham, Barton Stacey, Amesbury, West Knoyle* and Stoney Cross are all closed. Any BK's remain open. Only Podimore, Ilminster, Sourton and St Leonards are left now. Looks like my one and only Olympic breakfast will have to be taken earlier than planned, like this weekend.

*As in the photo a few posts below.
In the case of Stoney Cross, that would be a quick closure - I saw people sat at tables when I passed on the 24th July (unfortunately, I forgot to check when I fuelled up there two days ago).
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I was thinking of going for a drive and having lunch at an LC this week but I can't find one using the useless website. Keeps popping up with Balhaddie, Bangor, St Clears, Dolgellau and Penrith as local to Epping.... :roll:

From memory the nearest is north of Cambridge or down near Brighton.