Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nowster
Treasurer

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by nowster »

It's possible that EG doesn't have rights to the website if it's part of the branding.
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

nowster wrote:It's possible that EG doesn't have rights to the website if it's part of the branding.
The domain is registered to Hybrid Dining Limited, which is one of the spin off companies of Kout Food Group - so probably not easily controlled by EG.

The website is still hosted by the web design company that made it. So you get the impression the website will continue in zombie mode until one of them pulls the plug. Certainly no-one is going to pay agency fees for it to be updated.

https://wearecreation.digital/project/little-chef/
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

FWIW they were the ones who designed the roadside banners in three different fonts, none of which is easy to read whilst driving.

A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

So is this it? The last day of Little Chef? Actually since it's now almost 5pm the few remaining ones are probably closed. I hope somebody got a final Olympic breakfast.

When you consider the first post in this thread was in 2004 it's been a very drawn-out decline...
Le Bear Polar

Post by Le Bear Polar »

A42_Sparks wrote:So is this it? The last day of Little Chef? Actually since it's now almost 5pm the few remaining ones are probably closed. I hope somebody got a final Olympic breakfast.

When you consider the first post in this thread was in 2004 it's been a very drawn-out decline...
I indeed went to the York East Little Chef for a final Olympic Breakfast - the signage was taken down a couple of weeks ago I believe, and the receipt said 'EG Diner' rather than Little Chef but otherwise everything was pretty much identical. The Little Chef menus were still in use. The name might have gone, but the spirit of Little Chef seems like it's going to hang around a while longer...
SteveA30

Re: The Little Chefs Are Gone

Post by SteveA30 »

Yep. 8 pm is closing time at Ilminster. Not sure if any are still open til 10, as they all were once. Did 3, A31 Bere Regis - Maple Syrup Pancake, closed 2pm, A303 Podimore - Ham Egg and Chips, closed 3pm and A303 Ilminster - Bramley Apple Crumble and cream, closed 8pm
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
sheeldz

Post by sheeldz »

The one on the A66 at Penrith already had all it's singage removed and closed off yesterday as I drove past. Must have closed earlier in the year.

When I went in a few months back there was no one in the room and the two servers were sat drinking coffees. I feel for the brand. Something about it just failed.
I host an ambient, electronic and avant garde music podcast. Don't say I didn't warn you.
http://www.mixcloud.com/sheeldz/
@mondaygraveyard
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

sheeldz wrote:
When I went in a few months back there was no one in the room and the two servers were sat drinking coffees. I feel for the brand. Something about it just failed.
Indeed. Poor investment, competition from foreign brands (McDonalds, KFC, etc.) and outdatedness all meant a slow and painful death for the Little Chef brand.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

McNessA720 wrote:
sheeldz wrote:
Indeed. Poor investment, competition from foreign brands (McDonalds, KFC, etc.) and outdatedness all meant a slow and painful death for the Little Chef brand.
It seemed like the last roll of the investment dice was Heston's menu, which was never going to work because a Little Chef is never going to be a destination other than initial novelty value.

They could of instead cashed in on the fact the brand could easily become retro, keep the cooked breakfast but add on decent burgers, pizza. British twist on American diner. Too late now of course, no-one wanted to spend money flogging a long dead horse.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

tipsynurse wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:
sheeldz wrote:
It seemed like the last roll of the investment dice was Heston's menu, which was never going to work because a Little Chef is never going to be a destination other than initial novelty value.

They could of instead cashed in on the fact the brand could easily become retro, keep the cooked breakfast but add on decent burgers, pizza. British twist on American diner. Too late now of course, no-one wanted to spend money flogging a long dead horse.
I am just sorry that OK Diners haven't taken over any more. I used to use Burford occasionally and would still use something decent there occasionally if it was open after teatime.
tipsynurse
Banned

Post by tipsynurse »

So weird their website is still up. You'd think SOMEONE at KFG or EG could make a phone call and have it taken down. It doesn't help the website is so relentlessly upbeat as well!
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I also find it odd that OK haven't taken advantage of the many empty LC's still out there. They have stood still for several years now.

Bagged a few unwanted items on the last day, plus things acquired in earlier years.

My first LC was either A30 Camberley or Bagshot, in 1972, closely followed by A31 Hogs Back, which was open 24 hours then. I think some were open all night on summer Fridays on the A30/A303/A38 for holiday traffic.

Little Chef 1958-2018
Attachments
LC stuff.jpg
Northleach July 19 1998, bypassed by the A40
Northleach July 19 1998, bypassed by the A40
A31 Wimborne
A31 Wimborne
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Probably OK Diners has more savvy management than to expand willy-nilly.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

I’ve updated Wikipedia to say LC is “defunct” but no doubt some idiot jobsworth will revert because it’s “not reliably sourced”.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Ritchie333 wrote:I’ve updated Wikipedia to say LC is “defunct” but no doubt some idiot jobsworth will revert because it’s “not reliably sourced”.
Fear not, Ritchie333; we had a saying at work: "Against stupidity, the gods themselves rage in vain".
Farewell Little Chef, and thanks for all the breakfasts (with appropriate nod to Douglas Adams).
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

THE Little Chef off the A31 at St Leonard's could be changing to a Greggs and Subway.

Plans have been submitted to East Dorset District Council to erect new signs for the two eateries at the Ringwood Road site.
No works have been proposed for the building, with a planning application lodged for changes to the signage only.
Currently, the site houses a Little Chef and Travelodge. The Travelodge is set to remain, according to the planning application from Euro Garages.
The existing Little Chef sign will be removed.
Story at the Bournemouth Echo
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Apart from the Echo being several weeks late as usual!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Sixty years of existence is longer than a lot of these such businesses last.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

McNessA720 wrote:Sixty years of existence is longer than a lot of these such businesses last.
In many ways its rise and fall is very similar to that of the Lyons Corner House Teashops which started n the 1890's and went into a familiar pattern of decline in the 60's before closing the last few outlets in the 80's. Many of the locations became Wimpy bars which were bought up by Grand Metropolitan who at the time also owned Burger King.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

KeithW wrote:
McNessA720 wrote:Sixty years of existence is longer than a lot of these such businesses last.
In many ways its rise and fall is very similar to that of the Lyons Corner House Teashops which started n the 1890's and went into a familiar pattern of decline in the 60's before closing the last few outlets in the 80's. Many of the locations became Wimpy bars which were bought up by Grand Metropolitan who at the time also owned Burger King.
I remember a lot of Wimpys had become Burger King by the 1990s.

Another chain similar to Little Chef & early Wimpy, mostly based in town centres were Golden Egg, I'm too young to remember them but they were common in the 1960s - 70s but seem to have all gone by the 1980s.
Beware of the trickster on the roof