Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jamesabout29

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by Jamesabout29 »

When I went up the A303 from Southfields to the M3 a few weeks ago, there were still a few LC's open, can't remember which ones of the top of my head though. It will be a sad day when they've gone, A303 always meant Little Chef breakfast on the way to the West Country when I was younger.

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned upthread or not, but if not, the (I think) ex LC Eat and Go cafe near Chicklade was badly damaged by fire on Monday 10th July.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
fras

Post by fras »

Maybe this LC is mentioned up-thread, but I'm amazed that I had totally forgotten about the LC on the A34, just north of its junction with the A500. It seems to be thriving, anyway !!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

If you wish to find a former Little Chef then look here - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... 999843&z=5
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Does the one at Wetherby exist, the one made famous in Auf Wiedersehen Pet when Oz stated that he trashed it after Newcastle beat Burnley?
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Mrs 1040 thought that the Eastbound Kettering one (where we once waited an hour for our meal) was still open, but I was overtaking a lorry as we went past.
Daughter says Thrapston's closed.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

A303 Popham and Barton Stacey are now Starbucks. Along with West Knoyle and Honiton, that's 0-4 in 6 months. Only Podimore and Ilminster left now. Amesbury seems to be BK only. The Eat and Go at Chicklade has the builders in. The garage was also closed by the fire.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

B1040 wrote:Mrs 1040 thought that the Eastbound Kettering one (where we once waited an hour for our meal) was still open, but I was overtaking a lorry as we went past.
Daughter says Thrapston's closed.
Both Ketterings went in July.

At that time, Thrapston thought they were staying to Dec/Jan, but they went in the past week apparently.

James
Jamesabout29

Post by Jamesabout29 »

I can confirm that, as of yesterday the LC on the A12 Northbound at Feering, near Kelvedon, is still open, as is the one at the A14/A140 junction.

Also, East Horndon on the A127 closed in the past month or so, not currently shown in the map from a few posts ago.
Railway, road, sky, football, rugby enthusiast since 2001 ;)

Proud to share a birthday with the M25!!
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Tot Hill (Newbury A34) was open as a Starbucks last week when I passed. Cannot say how long it has been done, it was reported closed in August earlier in the thread.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Bangor Services's LC was still signed as being morning/afternoons only when I went to its BK last Sunday.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Newmarket North (A14/A11 multiplex) eastbound is now almost complete in its transformation to Starbucks. Another week, I'd say.

Also noticed at the weekend that A1 South Witham northbound (on the Rutland/Lincs border, opposite the OK Diner - which itself used to be an LC) now has conversion work underway.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Will there be much if any notice as to the last one to close? It's not just readers of this website that may consider a last day pilgrimage.
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

multiraider2 wrote:Will there be much if any notice as to the last one to close? It's not just readers of this website that may consider a last day pilgrimage.
I'd be potentially up for that

James
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I would certainly go to an LC wake. Perhaps a phone link-up between different LC's?
The LC map is very good, some old questions answered there.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

multiraider2 wrote:Will there be much if any notice as to the last one to close? It's not just readers of this website that may consider a last day pilgrimage.
There are plenty of rumours around. Euro Garages don't want people holding a ceremony, and they are reluctant to keep staff informed in case details leak.

More importantly, the planned arrangement keeps changing and I don't think it has been decided on for certain yet.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Berk

Post by Berk »

I’ve just thought of something that hasn’t been covered yet. EuroGarages... are they a subsidiary of the firm that bought LC?? Could they be defined as landlords of each site??

Does that then mean that, should circumstances change, a new brand, or franchisee could be invited to run outlets, much like Starbucks at the moment?.
avtur

Post by avtur »

Berk wrote:..... I’ve just thought of something that hasn’t been covered yet. EuroGarages... are they a subsidiary of the firm that bought LC?? ......
I think you'll find that Euro Garages is a private company in it's own right so not subsidiary to anyone.
avtur

Post by avtur »

fras wrote:Maybe this LC is mentioned up-thread, but I'm amazed that I had totally forgotten about the LC on the A34, just north of its junction with the A500. It seems to be thriving, anyway !!
Don't LC partner with Subway at this site these days ??
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Does EuroGarages own all the sites? The sign I saw at Bangor showed a different owner company name.
Berk

Post by Berk »

avtur wrote:
Berk wrote:..... I’ve just thought of something that hasn’t been covered yet. EuroGarages... are they a subsidiary of the firm that bought LC?? ......
I think you'll find that Euro Garages is a private company in it's own right so not subsidiary to anyone.
All the same, are they ‘only’ landlords??