Where are the Little Chefs going?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Re: Where are the Little Chefs going?

Post by SteveA30 »

There was one at Boroughbridge n/bnd, which was numbered 015, suggesting it was an early example. Also, Aberford and near Garforth.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

trickstat wrote:Was on the A1 yesterday afternoon. What was the Little Chef restaurant on the northbound side had a large open sign on the window and there did appear to be people in it. There is still a Travelodge there so maybe for now it is being kept as a restaurant mainly for people staying there who are probably short of dining options within walking distance.
The A1 is 400 miles long. Could you narrow it down a bit?
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

wrinkly wrote: The A1 is 400 miles long. Could you narrow it down a bit?
Why would anyone want to make the A1 narrower ? The upgrades are to make it wider !

Sorry. Could not resist :D
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A lot of people seem to say it's unnecessarily wide between Alconbury and Peterborough!
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

SteveA30 wrote:There was one at Boroughbridge n/bnd, which was numbered 015, suggesting it was an early example. Also, Aberford and near Garforth.
Perhaps this could be the one and maybe Jimmy Nail mentioned Wetherby as a way of covering up his past, as he was rumoured to be a football hooligan in real life.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

wrinkly wrote:
trickstat wrote:Was on the A1 yesterday afternoon. What was the Little Chef restaurant on the northbound side had a large open sign on the window and there did appear to be people in it. There is still a Travelodge there so maybe for now it is being kept as a restaurant mainly for people staying there who are probably short of dining options within walking distance.
The A1 is 400 miles long. Could you narrow it down a bit?
Ooops! Just north of the Black Cat in Beds. The A1 is quite narrow there but the roundabout is fairly wide :wink:
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

That will be the Black Cat LC with Travelodge. Probably one of the EG Diners now, until the end of April I believe. After that who knows?
Berk

Post by Berk »

How much capital have EG got?? They can’t keep a dying business going indefinitely??

I’m pretty sure we’ve covered this by now, but today’s travellers wish to stop off at major branded services on trunk roads, not so much at diners on minor trunk roads (which was effectively the status quo for many years).
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

There is a reduction in the number of A road cafes now, although some LC's have become private cafes, as opposed to restaurants. There seem to be more A road cafes north of the A14/A46 line than south, especially up the east side of England.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Drove past the LC on the A595 near Carlisle, which is now a fish restaurant and doing quite well. It still has the red window surrounds from its previous life, and is of a design that suggests it was built in the seventies.
Al

Post by Al »

I called at Markham Moor last Monday (26th March), the northbound ex-LC was just the same as the last time I called in a couple of years ago (even largely the same staff and the same suffusion of red around the place), except the LC branding had all gone and there was an A5 piece of paper in the entrance door with "EG Diner, open 7AM to 7PM" handwritten in pen (in filled-in block capitals). They were doing a tea cake and a hot drink for £3.99, and very nice it was too. The menu was the usual on photocopied paper in plastic wallets (it was like this last time as well, from memory), and I've always been happy with the food here on the rare occasions I have eaten here in the past. One staff member I spoke with was quite upbeat about it all, and all the staff seemed to be "business as usual"...

I also called in there today, there are now large green & blue "EG DINER" stickers in two of the front windows but the A5 paper in the entrance door remains. There was one staff member I have seen before (the manageress, I think) plus three other ladies, the three pancakes with maple syrup were very nice and the service was very friendly.

The Subway next door was busier, as ever - but I want a break from a journey not a splash & dash so a restaurant/diner is my choice. From observations at both visits, quite a few families feel the same way and the place was as "busy" as it was a few years ago. Good Luck to them!
James Heaton

Post by James Heaton »

[quote="Al"]I called at Markham Moor last Monday (26th March), the northbound ex-LC was just the same as the last time I called in a couple of years ago (even largely the same staff and the same suffusion of red around the place), except the LC branding had all gone and there was an A5 piece of paper in the entrance door with "EG Diner, open 7AM to 7PM" handwritten in pen (in filled-in block capitals). They were doing a tea cake and a hot drink for £3.99, and very nice it was too. The menu was the usual on photocopied paper in plastic wallets (it was like this last time as well, from memory), and I've always been happy with the food here on the rare occasions I have eaten here in the past. One staff member I spoke with was quite upbeat about it all, and all the staff seemed to be "business as usual"...

The A17/A52 Burger King/EG Diner was much the same when I passed through a couple of weeks ago.

I know others have stated EG Diner goes at the end of the month, is this still the case? Would be expecting some action on converting them to whatever they'll be in the future by now?

Ironically - the one I stopped in a couple of weeks ago had the BK shuttered up for a few years in the late 00s with only the LC open!

James
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Just a thought, are any of the EG Diners still going or not? I read that they were due to shut at the end of April, but wouldn't know for sure.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

The ex-LC at Sutterton stayed open as an EG diner but with limited opening hours. Certainly the BK part of it was busier at lunchtime today.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

I don't know why OK Diners are just sitting back and ignoring all these ex LC's. They haven't expanded for several years now. Far more menu variety than Starbucks.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Well part of it is that I think this diner concept, whether it be Little Chef or OK Diner, has sort of gone out of fashion - people are now looking for fast food or a quick snack when on the move.

On a side note, I find this a little bit weird, but I used to prefer Costa whereas I now seem to prefer Starbucks. The food and atmosphere in Costa used to be reminiscent of Cafe Nero (which has barely changed at all and is still the nicest of the three in my opinion) and Starbucks felt quite boring and bland, but everything in Costa has become more generic and mass produced feeling in the past 5 years while the menu in Starbucks has become quite interesting compared to what it was.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 23:27 Well part of it is that I think this diner concept, whether it be Little Chef or OK Diner, has sort of gone out of fashion - people are now looking for fast food or a quick snack when on the move.

On a side note, I find this a little bit weird, but I used to prefer Costa whereas I now seem to prefer Starbucks. The food and atmosphere in Costa used to be reminiscent of Cafe Nero (which has barely changed at all and is still the nicest of the three in my opinion) and Starbucks felt quite boring and bland, but everything in Costa has become more generic and mass produced feeling in the past 5 years while the menu in Starbucks has become quite interesting compared to what it was.
Costa was fantastic until Whitbread bought it off the Costa family.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Piatkow wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 08:00
RJDG14 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 23:27 Well part of it is that I think this diner concept, whether it be Little Chef or OK Diner, has sort of gone out of fashion - people are now looking for fast food or a quick snack when on the move.

So it's been going downhill since 1995?

Incidentally, Costa is currently being spun off from Whitbread because it has got so large:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43891128
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Ridiculous statement. I'd explain, but roadtester has already done so!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Hdeng16 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:54

Ridiculous statement. I'd explain, but roadtester has already done so!
As I think I've mentioned before, in the early to mid-nineties I was a lunchtime regular of the original Costa, which was a small standing room only place near Victoria Station. I was introduced to it by an Italian friend who reckoned it was just about the only place in the area where it was possible to get a decent coffee.

While most modern Costas are quite different to that original outlet, it's surprising how many elements have survived in terms of the range and so on - in particular, I think Costa have played a key role in popularising almond croissants which were a key part of the appeal back in the day!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon