Musselburgh Services

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gav

Re: Musselburgh Services

Post by Gav »

Visited the site the other day - it is disgusting ! from what Ive heard there is a rat problem - overfilled bins and general lack of cleanliness lets it down - its a disgrace ! you know maybe we should see about doing something about it some how. Its an embarassment to our capital city.....
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

Gav wrote:This site is now totally run down and in dire need for redevelopment. Last time I was in the toilets were totally filthy - cracked tiles and all sorts of things wrong that would have been picked up and highlighted as unacceptable.

As for the Ikea angle the Ikea in Edinburgh used to be the only ikea in scotland so it was a huge draw in customers. The nearest one being in Newcastle. When they opened the one in Glasgow it calmed things down a fair bit but it is still a busy store.
Does the council / environmental health not have a responsibility here for such issues? If there is a rat problem they are compelled to deal with it in buildings.

The IKEA angle is that Edinburgh was a 'stop-gap' store whilst they hunted Glasgow for a store. Renfrewshire turned down a site Glasgow approved it and then immediately the store was moved into Renfrewshire. I don't think there were massive works done but enough to be fairly good, considering it is just a DIY store. Most of these shopping centres suffer from a strange problem where everyone arrives at same time and leaves at the same time. A few of the centres note problems at 12.30pm at weekends and 4.30pm that if you hang on 30 mins do not occur!

Glasgow itself had a huge market particularly Northern and even Southern Ireland. Not uncommon back in the boom days of 2003/5 to see 10 coaches a week from NI.
To come second is to be the first of the losers.
Gav

Post by Gav »

well i heard today that this site has been knocked down - hotel and amenity building have been levelled. I wonder whats going in here - the fuel station is still there...
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

Plans for a drive though coffee shop, retaining the hotel.
20_00623_P-PROPOSED_SITE_PLAN-2962901-1.jpg
There are also planning applications to extend the petrol station shop and increase the height of the canopy over the HGV pumps, so it seems MFG are committed to investing in the site.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Glen wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 23:05 Plans for a drive though coffee shop, retaining the hotel.

20_00623_P-PROPOSED_SITE_PLAN-2962901-1.jpg

There are also planning applications to extend the petrol station shop and increase the height of the canopy over the HGV pumps, so it seems MFG are committed to investing in the site.
thank you
gchree

Post by gchree »

I frequently use this site for petrol and can confirm the demolition, having seen work there last week