A34 Alderley Edge Bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

The Rev

A34 Alderley Edge Bypass

Post by The Rev »

First post on here as I don't get as much time to look around/post as I'd like.

Noticed in our local free paper this week that finally the go-ahead has been given for work to commence on the badly needed A34 Alderley Edge Bypass. If any of you have ever driven down the A34 from the M60, on the bypass around Heald Green, Handforth and Wilmslow, you'll notice how abrupt the bypass comes to an end and dumps all the traffic onto a single carriageway right through the middle of Alderley village. The queues can be bad any time of day.

The work could begin Spring 08, opening set for Spring 09.
More info at http://www.wilmslowexpress.co.uk/news/s ... le_cleared

Ben
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

Lets hope that the rubber stamping goes ahead. I've been caught up in that one on more than a few occasions
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

All I can say is about time too! That has to be one of North Cheshire's worst bottlenecks and has always seemed stupid to have the by-pass crash to a halt with all the traffic having to funnel through Alderley Edge.

And welcome to SABRE, Rev!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Ian198

Post by Ian198 »

If there is a "gap" in the NR timetable over Christmas 2008 to build a tunnel, how long will this last?

Plan here.
Birchington

Post by Birchington »

This is excellent news. It seems a pity though that the Harden Park roundabout will not be GSJ'd as this would surely improve traffic flow.
Cheers, Birchington
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

A major problem with this scheme is that there is no junction with the A535, which will mean that somewhere in the region of 33% of the through traffic will still need to go very close to the centre of Alderley Edge. This is an inexplicable oversight.

Most of my journeys down the Handforth/Wilmslow bypass end up on the A535 heading for the M6, rather than on the A34.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

Is it just me or do others regard the A34 as running from the M3 to the M40 with references to the A34 in Cheshire seeming very strange?

Owing to the monster gap in the middle and the A34 not being a route of any importance unti lnorth of Birmingham the A34 really is a duplicate A road.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

A303Paul wrote:Is it just me or do others regard the A34 as running from the M3 to the M40 with references to the A34 in Cheshire seeming very strange?

Owing to the monster gap in the middle and the A34 not being a route of any importance unti lnorth of Birmingham the A34 really is a duplicate A road.
Only if you're a southerner! It's perfectly sensible to those of us up here...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote:
A303Paul wrote:Is it just me or do others regard the A34 as running from the M3 to the M40 with references to the A34 in Cheshire seeming very strange?

Sort of ... but he does have a point, based on the modern situation. The A34 was, as we know, originally from Winchester to Oxford, shortly afterwards extended to Birmingham and Manchester to form the strategic trunk road from the south coast ports to two of our most important industrial areas. This was before any motorways existed.

Which way would you to Birmingham and Manchester these days? You'd use the A34 as far as Wendlebury, for sure, but thereafter you'd use M40, M42, M6 (to Birmingham, and beyond), A556, M56 and then whatever local road you need. You would be most unlikely to use the A34, and really the Birmingham to Manchester stretch of this road no longer fulfils its original purpose.

ISTR that the Birmingham to Walsall bit used to be A455. This number is now free again - perhaps it could be reused in its original location?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

PeterA5145 wrote:A major problem with this scheme is that there is no junction with the A535, which will mean that somewhere in the region of 33% of the through traffic will still need to go very close to the centre of Alderley Edge. This is an inexplicable oversight.

Most of my journeys down the Handforth/Wilmslow bypass end up on the A535 heading for the M6, rather than on the A34.
I think it's better this way than have a roundabout at every road it crosses. Too many bypasses are wrecked by having too many roundabouts, in particular the A34 to the north :@

There could well be a more sinister reason for having no connection to the A535 - to deter people from using it as a back route to the M6. I've used this route on many occasions when there's an incident on the M6 or M56.

To provide access to the A535 without adding a roundabout would be easy, as only north facing A34 access is needed a simple loop from the A34 to the A535 is needed and a short slip from the A535 to the A34 for traffic in the opposite direction, no extra bridges are required.

How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
sotonsteve

Post by sotonsteve »

I've never known the A34 through Alderley Edge to be all that busy, but regardless of that, good news. It'll be better for both through traffic and locals, and I welcome it.

Shame some of the bypasses down south don't get sorted out though, like on the more important A27 at Arundel and Worthing.
GrahamP

Post by GrahamP »

Steven wrote:

I'm less Southern than you, and in my mental map, the A34 has only run from the M3 to the M40 since the M40 opened - before that it just ran from the A31 to the M4.
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

The biggest bottleneck in Alderley is traffic turning down Brook Lane which is the next junction north of the end of the A535 Ryleys Lane. This is one of the main routes in the area to Knutsford through Mobberley. Often when you are past this junction the traffic begins to flow again.

The biggest problem for the village is the fact that the main street is split by a primary route. Ryleys Lane always tends to flow but London Road (A34) can be horrendous to get across from one side of the village to the other. Apparently the reason that the original extension to the bypass was never built was due to those living at Nether Alderley (south of the main village) not wanting a tunnel under the railway.

If there's any more news I'll keep you posted ... if I get the time!
M45 Tailback

Post by M45 Tailback »

GrahamP wrote:I'm less Southern than you, and in my mental map, the A34 has only run from the M3 to the M40 since the M40 opened - before that it just ran from the A31 to the M4.
No. The A34 was renumbered A44 between Oxford and Chipping Norton and A3400 from there to M42 Jn 4 upon the opening of the M40 in 1991. Part of the A43 was renumbered A34. The A34 has run to Manchester since at least the 1940s!!
Steve S

Resurrect the A604!
The Rev

Post by The Rev »

The local free paper has just been delivered and looks like the bypass is on hold again due to a single person from Nether Alderley logging a complaint in the High Court. The article doesn't appear to be on the Wilmslow Express website yet. Progress could apparently be delayed for up to a year ... and then of course the whole process would start again in finding a slot in Network Rail's plans.

Ah well, looks like Alderley is stuck with the traffic for a good while yet - good job I know the back ways round it!
highwaymana31

Post by highwaymana31 »

The Rev wrote:The local free paper has just been delivered and looks like the bypass is on hold again due to a single person from Nether Alderley logging a complaint in the High Court. The article doesn't appear to be on the Wilmslow Express website yet. Progress could apparently be delayed for up to a year ... and then of course the whole process would start again in finding a slot in Network Rail's plans.

Ah well, looks like Alderley is stuck with the traffic for a good while yet - good job I know the back ways round it!
Do the Hamiltons still live there?
Mr Brown, 1984 was a warning, not an instruction manual

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JCwW_1rswyo
woodlea1

Post by woodlea1 »

The DoT always referred to the A34 as the Winchester to Preston Trunk Road. See here. I can find no evidence that it ever got beyond Manchester
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

woodlea1 wrote:The DoT always referred to the A34 as the Winchester to Preston Trunk Road. See here. I can find no evidence that it ever got beyond Manchester
It does go beyond Manchester - but only as far as the A6 in Salford!

Trunk Roads don't necessarily follow a single numbered route - see the recent thread on the Trunk Roads Act for more details.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

This scheme has been given the go-ahead by the Government today.

Manchester Evening News

Work will begin next month, it says.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

It will be just over three miles long and have two single-lane carriageways linking the A34 Wilmslow Road at Whitehall Brook Bridge in the north to Welsh Row bridge south of Nether Alderley.
Please tell me thats a mistake!