A6211 Gedling Eastern Bypass (includes plans!)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Re: A6211 Gedling Eastern Bypass (includes plans!)

Post by ForestChav »

darkcape wrote:Unless you put in a new river crossing around Burton Joyce anything more major would be pointless in an orbital alignment.

Cheers for the plans btw!
No problem, not sure if the actual plans will end up altered as they're a few years old now.

As for crossing the river it really needs a crossing between Gunthorpe and Lady Bay - as it does West between Clifton and the M1 - but I'm not sure how one near Burton Joyce would plug into the existing roads. There's a line you can easily find between Gamston and the Racecourse which would presumably work, but then you'd need to upgrade the A612 as well.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Joe_Flyover
Location: Cambridge, the most anti car city in the known universe.

Post by Joe_Flyover »

ForestChav wrote:
darkcape wrote:Unless you put in a new river crossing around Burton Joyce anything more major would be pointless in an orbital alignment.

Cheers for the plans btw!
No problem, not sure if the actual plans will end up altered as they're a few years old now.

As for crossing the river it really needs a crossing between Gunthorpe and Lady Bay - as it does West between Clifton and the M1 - but I'm not sure how one near Burton Joyce would plug into the existing roads. There's a line you can easily find between Gamston and the Racecourse which would presumably work, but then you'd need to upgrade the A612 as well.
Well, yes, but in my "nottingham masterplan" :lol: there would be lots of residential and commercial development to the south and south east of West Bridgford pushing the urban boundaries of the nottingham conurbation out a couple of miles.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Perhaps because this thread has been untouched for over 5 years, I had forgotten that this proposal existed. This London Gazette notice has appeared:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3147265

It prompted me to do a search and I found this page. (Apologies if the link has already been posted upthread.)

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/trans ... ccess-road

It's surprising that the road isn't going to continue a little further NW through the gap in development that has obviously been left for it.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 17:40 Perhaps because this thread has been untouched for over 5 years, I had forgotten that this proposal existed. This London Gazette notice has appeared:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3147265

It prompted me to do a search and I found this page. (Apologies if the link has already been posted upthread.)

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/trans ... ccess-road

It's surprising that the road isn't going to continue a little further NW through the gap in development that has obviously been left for it.
What on earth? Why - just why?.?!
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Euan

Post by Euan »

ForestChav wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 21:38 https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... ad-2368618

May be starting March 2019
They will have to make rather quick progress for the road to be fully complete by spring 2020 if they are not going to start construction until at least March. Presumably the potential opening date being pushed back to "winter 2020" refers to winter 2020/21 and not winter 2019/20, I would tend to regard winter 2021 as meaning 2020/21.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Batflu halted the works (at least the planned closure around the A612) around lockdown time, but they have started this again, and made good progress on this since.

I travel this way regularly, though not since just before the lockdown, and what they've since done offline looks to be decent progress.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/loc ... 0m-4150947

Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Why aren’t they doing the short section at the western end which appears to have been left for a development route such as this? To Arnos Vale?

I asked previously but no one replied so maybe it’s just me that thinks is a bit mad?
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

I honestly have no idea (you'd probably need to ask someone in NCC). Presumably they just wanted to link the A612 and B684, given that this would link into the country park and the proposed new housing, this presumably had more benefits than doing the section west of the B684, though since the reserved line clearly still exists, you would have thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to do that as well.

What you would then do with the section just before the A60 would be another question. Most of Arno Vale is 30, and west of Somersby Road needs to be, as there is schools and housing on the road itself, but between there and Gedling Road nothing (indeed, there are bridges at crossing points). Considering the new bit of A612 (well, it's probably about 15 years old now, but heh) is 40, I'd probably suspect the new bit will, and had they gone down the hill too they could probably make Arno Vale 40 as well, though limits rarely get increased, 30 is a bit silly.

Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

ForestChav wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:24 I honestly have no idea (you'd probably need to ask someone in NCC). Presumably they just wanted to link the A612 and B684, given that this would link into the country park and the proposed new housing, this presumably had more benefits than doing the section west of the B684, though since the reserved line clearly still exists, you would have thought it wouldn't have been too difficult to do that as well.

What you would then do with the section just before the A60 would be another question. Most of Arno Vale is 30, and west of Somersby Road needs to be, as there is schools and housing on the road itself, but between there and Gedling Road nothing (indeed, there are bridges at crossing points). Considering the new bit of A612 (well, it's probably about 15 years old now, but heh) is 40, I'd probably suspect the new bit will, and had they gone down the hill too they could probably make Arno Vale 40 as well, though limits rarely get increased, 30 is a bit silly.
Yeah I’m not saying it would be the most useful road in the city, but it would surely take pressure off the crossroads to the south, prevent the dog-leg for east/west traffic and aside from Wembley Road, in the grand scheme of things it must be peanuts to add the extra link in. I just can’t get my head around it.

Hadn’t noticed Arno Vale - another oddity of a few in that area of Nottingham. Bigger plans yet the bridges don’t seem wide enough for D2.

Fairly major scheme this considering the lengthy new build.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

NCC have just posted this:

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

This is an interesting historical angle in the Post today
https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... ss-4245025

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

I've popped some new pics in the gallery as it was last night at the Southern end, the A612 has been closed this weekend (reopened earlier today) to do some remodelling on the mainline (though it didn't look anywhere near done last night).

This is from pretty much where the new road will come into the old one, looking straight up the hill away from the A612.

And looking east towards Burton Joyce, the inbound is going to be widened to 2 lanes A612 and 2 A6211, which they can probably do by just narrowing the central reservation which they appear to be doing...

I only had my phone with me though, so no chance of focussing or zoom on anything.

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

latest flyover:

Not too much progress at the southern end, but the embankment towards the B684 is taking shape.

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Went past this (in the dark) the other day and the junctions with the A612 and old road are pretty much complete, marked up etc, would expect this to be open soon.

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

ForestChav wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 20:32 Went past this (in the dark) the other day and the junctions with the A612 and old road are pretty much complete, marked up etc, would expect this to be open soon.
Opened tonight.

I went the other day (in the light) with my phone... will pop some photos in the gallery later. You can't really get onto the new road yet, just where it will meet the A612 (and the old A612).

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Looking SW with the new road to the right and the old A612 straight on:
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... 61_iOS.jpg

Same place but this time facing the A612:
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... 29_iOS.jpg

Facing the old A612 again:
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... 76_iOS.jpg
(they were filling in the hole in the middle of the road which looked like the only thing which was left to do)

Looking down the new road (which itself looks a fair way off being finished in general - this is one of the more progressed bits)
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... 54_iOS.jpg

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Latest fly over:

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

It's been looking almost ready for a while now (where you can get near it).

NCC announced earlier today that the road will be opening in a few days - Tuesday March 22nd...