Stonehenge - The bored tunnel option

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: Stonehenge - The bored tunnel option

Post by KeithW »

Big L wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:43 There isn't any escape route from the Hindhead tunnels is there?
As at Hatfield there are cross connecting passages allowing users to move from one tunnel to another in case of fire.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.11010 ... authuser=0

Since the Mont Blanc Tunnel fire authorities are much more cautious about fire escape provision.
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 09:58 Some form of escape route really will be necessary however on a new construction.
Well of course.

It was escape-up-to-the-surface that I was arguing against.
Burns

Post by Burns »

I'm used to seeing the Norwegian style of having fireproof emergency rooms every 100-200m or so.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

KeithW wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 09:58 Most such tunnels are under mountains or water of course and DO have either refuges or other escape routes. The Channel Tunnel has the third bore for evacuation and firefighting access. The Hatfield Tunnel has emergency doors to let drivers escape into the other tunnel in case of fire. Looking at the Stonehenge Tunnel plans I don't think an escape to the surface is practical for several reasons. At its lowest point the tunnel will be 20 m below the surface, the exists would be within the WHS site area and last but not least such routes would become in effect chimneys drawing hot air and fumes up them. Some form of escape route really will be necessary however on a new construction.
WHBM wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 03:23 You are not going to get a 3.2km tunnel without some very substantial ventilation plant, with significantly noisy fans, as those who live near recent urban tunnels (Limehouse Link etc) know only too well. Can't do it any other way. I also suspect that there must be a need for emergency evacuation points to the surface along the way.
I guess that's why the proposed 200m concrete canopy at the western portal has these vents in it? However, English Heritage & the National Trust aren't too keen on the design. I'd not thought about them acting as 'chimneys' letting out car exhaust fumes, but I guess you could well be right. As for the substantial plant with a longer tunnel, this is something I've never heard the anti-tunnel protesters ever talk about. You've made a very good point here. Also, I don't think there will be any escape route inside the vented section?
Stonehenge Tunnel - The proposed concrete canopy at the western portal
Stonehenge Tunnel - The proposed concrete canopy at the western portal
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

I’m struggling find the right words here but isn’t there a real pressure improvement for the tunnel in not going from completely openly to completely closed at once but via a partial closing at first? I’m sure I read something about that once.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 I’m struggling find the right words here but isn’t there a real pressure improvement for the tunnel in not going from completely openly to completely closed at once but via a partial closing at first? I’m sure I read something about that once.
I think air quality rather than pressure the reason why road tunnels over a certain length need ventilation points. Pressure pulses are a problem in high-speed double track rail tunnels.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

I think air quality rather than pressure the reason why road tunnels over a certain length need ventilation points.
We might see a big increase in the number of electric vehicles by the time the tunnel is scheduled to open in about 2026. This might help with the air quality issue? http://www.nextgreencar.com/electric-cars/statistics/
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Fenlander wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:58 I’m struggling find the right words here but isn’t there a real pressure improvement for the tunnel in not going from completely openly to completely closed at once but via a partial closing at first? I’m sure I read something about that once.
That doesnt seem to be a problem at Hatfield, that is somewhat larger of course . The open roof section will also help in accustoming the drivers to adjust to daylight again, on the downside being rained on in a tunnel will be novel.
Glom

Post by Glom »

KeithW wrote:
That doesnt seem to be a problem at Hatfield, that is somewhat larger of course . The open roof section will also help in accustoming the drivers to adjust to daylight again, on the downside being rained on in a tunnel will be novel.
It will be interesting. And that will be a positive. Our infrastructure should be interesting.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

English Heritage's response to the western portal is as follows;
Western Portal EH welcomes the mitigation Highways England has included in the scheme at the western portal location to protect the OUV of the World Heritage Site and largely supports the current design although would seek more detail about the size and exact location of the land bridge to ensure it maintains visual and physical connectivity between barrow groups in the western part of the WHS.

English Heritage considers that this is the most appropriate solution to removing the sight and sound of moving traffic from the WHS is to locate the western approach to the tunnel entrance in a deep cutting. This will be mitigated by a partial canopy and a green bridge which will help to maintain connectivity between monument groups. These new elements are to be welcomed. However along with other heritage partners, English Heritage has asked Highways England to consider a further or wider green bridge in this area.

An independent outline assessment of the potential impacts on OUV, jointly commissioned by Historic England and National Trust suggests that the proposed green bridge will do little to mitigate the impacts of the scheme upon the WHS at this location. It identifies the need for a wider land-bridge at a position east of the proposed green-bridge to provide meaningful physical and visual landscape connectivity between the Winterbourne Stoke and Diamond monument groups.
The National Trust's response to the same location;
4. Central section: Please provide us with any comments you may have on our proposals for the green bridge (No.4) at or near the western boundary of the World Heritage Site.

We consider that it is a positive addition to the scheme design to have increased physical connectivity in this part of the WHS. However, we consider that more work needs to be done with regards to the design of the road as it leaves the western portal to include mitigation measures which would best protect the OUV of the WHS and designated heritage assets. Based on the information that is currently available, our joint assessment work with Historic England indicates that due to the proximity of the new road to both the Winterbourne Stoke and Diamond barrow groups, and because it severs the visual link between them, the impact of the proposed scheme on these two monument groups, both of which convey attributes of OUV, is not acceptable without further mitigation.

Specifically, we do not believe that the land bridge options as illustrated in the consultation documents adequately mitigate the impact of the road as it passes between the Winterbourne Stoke and Diamond barrow groups. The first proposed location for this bridge on the line of the old A360 would provide no mitigation to the adverse visual impacts of the road on these two groups. While the second proposed location (as illustrated in Figure 5.18) is in an improved location, this bridge is currently of insufficient width to provide acceptable mitigation. Our assessment has suggested that a land bridge with a width of at least 150 metres would be required, but the exact length and design would need to be modelled and assessed to ensure it provided acceptable mitigation.

If a longer land bridge requires internal lighting beneath its length, we would expect Highways England to honour their commitment to no external lighting of the road within the WHS. We expect any land bridge to be designed in such a way so as minimise its visual impact on the landscape while helping improve habitat connectivity and access to the newly created restricted byway (if appropriate). For the avoidance of doubt we believe that the newly proposed byway that runs from north to south along the western edge of the WHS must be a restricted byway not open to motorised use. We look forward to separate discussions with Highways England about how agricultural and landowner access will be maintained and managed across the affected part of the WHS.

5. Central section: Please provide us with any comments you may have on our proposals for the cutting on the western approach to the tunnel. We welcome the proposal to place the road in a cutting on the western approach to the tunnel. Based on our current understanding we believe the proposed route of the cutting for the new road should have minimal impact on buried archaeology. It avoids the known sites and monuments that embody the special qualities of the WHS and lies in an area where (based on current survey work) we expect there to be few archaeological features.

Our previous assessment work has shown that were the new dual carriageway to be on the surface, it would have a highly damaging impact on the WHS. Our preferred design of a cutting, with vertical sides and rounded, grassed shoulders will minimise its physical presence and visual impact on the relationships between and settings of key monument groups within the WHS. The highly intrusive noise and visual impact of the traffic on the current A303 is damaging to the WHS and a sensitively designed cutting could reduce those impacts. However, while this approach does much to mitigate the impact of this section of the road on many of the monument groups, in order to protect the OUV of the WHS more work is required to mitigate the impact of the road as it runs between the Winterbourne Stoke and Diamond barrow groups (see Question 4). The proposed vertical sides will reduce the visual impact of the traffic and the road itself from outwith the cut. The sloped version would be more visible and increase the visibility of both the road and traffic from the key monument groups that convey attributes of OUV of the WHS. It would also require a fifty percent greater land take than the vertically sided solution with grassed top, and so would have a much greater physical impact on the WHS with the increased possibility of impacting on unknown archaeology.

6. Central section: Please provide us with any comments you may have on our proposals for the western entrance to the tunnel.

We consider that the proposed alignment of the road and the associated portal position presents the best opportunity to ensure the protection of the WHS – but only if appropriate mitigation is incorporated in the design. While the consultation document proposes a bored tunnel ‘of at least 2.9km’ our assessment has been carried out based on a 3km bored tunnel. Despite the extra 100m of bored tunnel length, our assessment work has shown that even with a bored tunnel length of 3km, the proximity of the tunnel portal to the Normanton Down barrow group would have a damaging impact on the OUV of the WHS without additional mitigation.

Highways England has proposed installing a further 200 metres of cover beyond the western tunnel portal. This could be either a 200m cut-and-cover tunnel extension or an extension of a similar length with a vented canopy at the end of the extension. A 200m extension has the potential to mitigate the impact of the road on the views between the Winterbourne Stoke, Diamond and Normanton Down barrow groups and as such our assessment work tells us that this 200m extension beyond the entrance to the bored tunnel is essential in order to protect the OUV of the WHS.

The canopy proposal could provide benefits of moving more of the tunnel buildings within the canopy as well as allowing for reduced vertical height at the tunnel entrance. However, we are concerned by the visual impact of the current proposed design of the ventilation openings. Even if an acceptable design could be achieved we would need to understand the practical and visual impacts of any fencing and additional safety measures that might be required around such openings as well as the impacts of any light emitted from those openings.
It's this very last bit from the National Trust which refers to the design of the 200m concrete 'grassed-over' canopy vents at the western portal
jackal

Post by jackal »

Supplementary consultation opens on 17 July. Revisions to the proposal include:

- removing the previously proposed link between Byways 11 and 12 in the Stonehenge WHS to avoid affecting the setting of the Normanton Down barrow group and tranquillity of the site in this area
- widening the green bridge proposed near the existing Longbarrow roundabout to improve the physical and visual connection between the northern and southern parts of the WHS
- moving the proposed modification of Rollestone crossroads to provide a more compact layout

The widened green bridge appears to have been requested by EH and the NT (see Jim's post immediately above).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/furt ... ge-upgrade
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

jackal wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 14:15 The widened green bridge appears to have been requested by EH and the NT
It does make me wonder if English Heritage & The National Trust are the major players here and most of the other consultation responses were just academic? It will be interesting to see the details of the revised plan and whether EH & the NT will effectively say 'yes' to the project moving forward? I guess it will now hinge on the length of the proposed A360 green land-bridge (which is intended to become a bridleway due to the road's realignment with the new junction) & whether the heritage bodies will continue to request an even longer one at this point and an extra (smaller one) one near the western portal?

EH did say;
However, along with other heritage partners, English Heritage has asked Highways England to consider a further or wider green bridge in this area.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think EH and the NT are engaging much more with the process this time, and I do hope, trust and believe with their support the project will be able to go ahead as planned.

Am looking forward to seeing these land bridges when they’re opened sometime next decade. :thumbsup:
jackal

Post by jackal »

Supplementary consultation now open:

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... july-2018/
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

jackal wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 09:57 Supplementary consultation now open:

https://highwaysengland.citizenspace.co ... july-2018/
And responded to. But no doubt EH and NT are the respondents looked for.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

All the proposed changes seem reasonable to me as they're just some minor tinkering around the edges to improve the environmental landscape. It'd be nice if we could bring in the earth moving equipment soon though...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Tinpusher

Post by Tinpusher »

In the current edition of the EH members magazine, there is a piece written about the tunnel by an EH staff member. This person is pro tunnel. I think they've engaged positively this time. Say your piece but respect that the 303 needs to move...then accept the compromise.

Problem with a lot of UK decision making is, the all or nothing approach combined with belief that a shrieking minority represents millions of people.
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

Tinpusher wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 18:18 In the current edition of the EH members magazine, there is a piece written about the tunnel by an EH staff member. This person is pro tunnel. I think they've engaged positively this time. Say your piece but respect that the 303 needs to move...then accept the compromise.

Problem with a lot of UK decision making is, the all or nothing approach combined with belief that a shrieking minority represents millions of people.
I read that as well. To get printed in the magazine it must be a reflection of the organisation position, if not the membership. Did say EH would continue to push for further improvements where necessary. Generally sensible approach.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Let’s be frank - without being blunt. A promise was made more than 30 years ago to remove both the A344,and A303, so that Stonehenge could be ‘returned to nature’.

Only one of those roads had been removed so far. Why not finish the job, as intended?? It might even enhance the stones and their environment.

This prize, however, seems to have been lost in time. :confused:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've no issue with time being spent to ensure proper archaeological digging and surveying, and consultation with stakeholders around what may improve the environment within the project budget... What annoys me is when its all done and dusted and then the scheme is canned anyway by the next government...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps