Stonehenge - The bored tunnel option

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Stonehenge - The bored tunnel option

Post by Berk »

Really haven’t got a hope in hell this time. The excessive delays have in fact had a silver lining: they’ve caused the project area to be very extensively researched.

All reasonable countermeasures will have been taken, and included in the application.
Euan

Post by Euan »

It is surprising that there is such opposition to a proposal which would completely shut the old A303 to road traffic, wouldn't that make the area more pleasant and inviting for tourists? Unless a completely new road above the surface was built way to the south of Stonehenge between the A36 and the A338 there are no other realistic ways of improving the road.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

They haven’t got a leg to stand on. All the issues have been reviewed.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Euan wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 08:42 Unless a completely new road above the surface was built way to the south of Stonehenge between the A36 and the A338 there are no other realistic ways of improving the road.
In my opinion this route along with a dualled A36 between Southampton and Salisbury would be the best way to solve Stonehenge along with bypassing the A35 for South Coast traffic.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Berk

Post by Berk »

Like I said twice already, this was studied (and rejected) in 2006.

It really is the Stonehenge Bottom route or nothing at all.

FWIW, I think the southern route would’ve been too long.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Herned

Post by Herned »

JohnnyMo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 09:14 Today's Guardian: The battle for the future of stonehenge
Seems a fairly balanced and reasonable article, especially compared to some previous articles in the Guardian
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Herned wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 09:25
JohnnyMo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 09:14 Today's Guardian: The battle for the future of stonehenge
Seems a fairly balanced and reasonable article, especially compared to some previous articles in the Guardian
Love the bit that says the West Country is a bit wilder than the South East!

Seems like a bit of London journalism bias that "there be dragons" at the west end of the A303.
Berk

Post by Berk »

I agree that the article is reasonable. But it doesn’t seem like campaigners have any new arguments.

Whether they have engaged with the process to make oral presentations to the examiner remains to be seen.
Euan

Post by Euan »

At one point the article mentions the A303 having wonderful views of Stonehenge, but surely the only time drivers could safely admire the landmark is whenever the road is congested through the area? I suppose passengers can still enjoy the view while in a car passing at 50-60mph though.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Euan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 08:45 At one point the article mentions the A303 having wonderful views of Stonehenge, but surely the only time drivers could safely admire the landmark is whenever the road is congested through the area? I suppose passengers can still enjoy the view while in a car passing at 50-60mph though.
How long do you take to admire something? You get a pretty clear view of it.

It's a moot point anyway because I have driven past Stonehenge at all times of daylight and at all times of year and I have never managed to do it without traffic coming to a halt.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

Euan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 08:45 At one point the article mentions the A303 having wonderful views of Stonehenge, but surely the only time drivers could safely admire the landmark is whenever the road is congested through the area? I suppose passengers can still enjoy the view while in a car passing at 50-60mph though.
ISTM that the road is congested _because_ people are "admiring the landmark". It's usually fairly clear either side of there. Heading west, it's rare (at the times I travel, at least) not to be fully up-to-speed well before the Longbarrow roundabout
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

The views are there whether you as a driver look at them or not. The fact that you always need to keep your eyes on the road when driving a car doesn’t mean that no road in the world has a view worth seeing.
Herned

Post by Herned »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:49 ISTM that the road is congested _because_ people are "admiring the landmark". It's usually fairly clear either side of there. Heading west, it's rare (at the times I travel, at least) not to be fully up-to-speed well before the Longbarrow roundabout
This is not my experience, from 30+ years of driving up and down the A303. Westbound the only queues are caused by the end of the dual carriageway, I am astonished you would say it's usually fairly clear! It's very very often queued all the way back to the Countess Roundabout, even in the winter this is not unusual... Eastbound the delays are generally negligible or if it's bad it's generally bad all the way from the end of the previous bit of dual carriageway.

I posted this exact point last year with a screenshot of the traffic as it has come up repeatedly.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Are you able to link back to that screenshot??
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I drove through on Monday evening heading westbound and the view coming over the hill there really is spectacular - it does remind me each time of the first time I ever saw it, with a beam of sunshine illuminating stonehenge on the plan on an overcast rainy day, much like the Turner painting. I take delight in that view, even if passing at the national speed limit - on a clear evening - like yesterday - it is possible to admire the stones even while passing at speed.

That said, I can understand how, if unexpected or to tourists, seeing such a sight for the first time may cause them to slow down, or to take their eyes off the road, and how, therefore it would probably be a good idea for the trunk road to be diverted. Similarly, the road needs widening and therefore it would make sense absolutely to tunnel it and remove the view. I for one would be quite happy to take a hike along the course of the old road to see the view across the plain without other man-made buildings or infrastructure being in the way, or sitting enjoying the atmosphere of the countryside without the road noise - and this from someone who believes the M62 cutting across the Pennines is a beautiful thing....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Berk

Post by Berk »

And let us not forget the poor people of Winterbourne Stoke - suffering decades of petrol and diesel fumes from idling traffic. Doomed to live without a bypass until everyone can agree a route for a Stonehenge Tunnel.

They’re the real losers in all this.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Berk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 22:42 Are you able to link back to that screenshot??
Sure, from 1st September 2018

Berk

Post by Berk »

Well it may look red, but traffic isn’t usually stationary for long. You can usually do a 10mph crawl (not unlike the M25 then).
Herned

Post by Herned »

Berk wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 23:21 Well it may look red, but traffic isn’t usually stationary for long. You can usually do a 10mph crawl (not unlike the M25 then).
Usually that's right, but the main point is that the traffic heading west is slowed by the dual carriageway ending, not by the stones