Worst motorway junction in Britain

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

What do you think is Britain's worst motorway junction?

M1/M6/A14 catthorpe interchange
46%
M25/M26/A21
8%
M40 J15 longbridge
1%
M60 simister island
8%
M27/M271
5%
M57/M58/A59 switch island
7%
M8 J20 kingston bridge (source of M8 jams)
3%
M62/M621/A62/A650 J27 on M62 (again, big queue causer)
5%
please state if other junction
18%

Total votes: 169

Paul

Post by Paul »

Stevie D wrote:Gildersome was only just outside the shortlist. If it hadn't been for all the industrial development around it, there wouldn't be any great problem. And getting rid of IKEA would be no bad thing...
Sorry, no, IKEA is a great place but will unfortunately cause tailbacks wherever they put one (this is the reason Sheffield City Council has repeatedly turned down applications from the Swedish firm to put one on the Parkway).

Anyway, what makes Gildersome so bad, is, as Chris has pointed out so well on his Bad Junctions page, the off slip from the M62 eastbound doesn't join the northern roundabout directly but the road just before it. Contrast with the southern roundabout.

I had to make that maneouvre today where, if you want to make a right turn, you have to pull out across 3 lanes rapdily before coming to a halt at the give way lines of the roundabout just yards further on. A case for signalisation if I ever saw one.

Alternatively (and far more costly of course) would be to thread the off slip between the M621 and M62 instead, giving drivers more distance to get into lane before the roundabout.
Regards,
Paul
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

I went for Simister, though this was originally a spur from the M62, which later became part of the M66... It wasn't very good for two motorways crossing, BUT now that you have to use a roundabout on the M60...

I think it needs redisning, but then again, so do quite a few of the other junctions mentioned...
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Paul wrote:Sorry, no, IKEA is a great place but will unfortunately cause tailbacks wherever they put one (this is the reason Sheffield City Council has repeatedly turned down applications from the Swedish firm to put one on the Parkway).
The latest news is that they want to build an IKEA in Ipswich. Which would be fair enough as the nearest one would be IIRC Thurrock or Milton Keynes. But you really need to improve the infrastructure significantly before building anything like that - the A14 can barely cope as it is.

Another candidate for the worst junction: the M11/A120 dog's dinner at Stansted. Don't know how well it actually works but it just looks awful on a map.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
jackal

Post by jackal »

StormA1022 wrote: Another candidate for the worst junction: the M11/A120 dog's dinner at Stansted. Don't know how well it actually works but it just looks awful on a map.
This junction looks fine to me. You wouldn't plan it from scratch like that but it's a perfectly satisfactory upgrade given that M11S to A120E is the main flow.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Gildersome also has the amazing situation where a 3 lane approach enters a 2 lane roundabout. Err....
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

jackal wrote:This junction looks fine to me. You wouldn't plan it from scratch like that but it's a perfectly satisfactory upgrade given that M11S to A120E is the main flow.
Hmm, I'm not so sure. I'd like to know of people's opinion when Junction 8B comes along.

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd like to see the M11 be made D3 at least to J9 first... :roll:
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Bryn666 wrote:I'd like to see the M11 be made D3 at least to J9 first... :roll:
According to that news story a small part of the A120 will be instead ;)

RoadaddictReece

Post by RoadaddictReece »

And i forgot eccles because of its queues occouring regulary

The queue was happening on the M62 and we were moving at 40mph
The road addict has returned!
coasterjunkie

Post by coasterjunkie »

Catthorpe hands down!

Andy
Andy

If you've got it, a truck brought it!
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

StormA1022 wrote:
Paul wrote:Sorry, no, IKEA is a great place but will unfortunately cause tailbacks wherever they put one (this is the reason Sheffield City Council has repeatedly turned down applications from the Swedish firm to put one on the Parkway).
The latest news is that they want to build an IKEA in Ipswich. Which would be fair enough as the nearest one would be IIRC Thurrock or Milton Keynes.
What about Edmonton or Brent Cross? Both nearer to Ipswich than MK.
Another candidate for the worst junction: the M11/A120 dog's dinner at Stansted. Don't know how well it actually works but it just looks awful on a map.
I don't use this at peak times these days, but my observation is that it works well now that the motorway link is there. It wouldn't occur to me to put it on a list of worst junctions.

Cheers,

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

M4Simon wrote:What about Edmonton or Brent Cross? Both nearer to Ipswich than MK.
Of course you are correct, I only said MK as it was on one of ITV's semi-regional adverts that they have on.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I voted Simister, because that junction can single-handedly bring half of Greater Manchester's motorway network to a standstill. Freeflow the M60 to M60 (clockwise direction) and that'll solve it!
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
RoadaddictReece

Post by RoadaddictReece »

Yeah. When i uploaded the photos from the Clockwise J18 exit to M60 J19 i did demand "something less stupid"
The road addict has returned!
a80

Post by a80 »

I've nominated three junctions actually :oops: :

M8 J15 and M8 J17/J18.

If you did not know your way around - J15 comes on the offside, then J17 nearside, then J18 offside!

Just try getting from lane 1 over to lane 4 at rush hour :lol:
Everyone dies, but not everyone lives...
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

M77 J3. I have no problems with the traffic lights being there, but their timing is nothing short of disgraceful, especially since they're not in sync with the junction down the road that does not need to be a 4-way 4-stager (and if it does, then it doesn't need a full pedestrian stage!). Similarly at M77 J1 the timing of the lights is crap which causes horrendous queues on Dumbreck Road, and some of the sliproads are really tight (although given space constraints, probably not much can be done about that latter point).
Schult

Post by Schult »

Simister gets my vote. Coming from Yorkshire and heading North along the M66 is the worst. It's the confusion it always seems to cause - number of times I've had people steering their car into me when they lose sight of the road markings. Or vehicles coming from the North and heading West jump the lights and block the carriageway. Or vehicles - unfamiliar with the junction - changing lanes 3 or 4 times within 200 yds. Gildersome and Simister; two words you hear on the radio on a daily basis.
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Cathorpe hands down.

I'd like to add M11 J14 to the list. The Girton Interchange treats the M11 fine, putting it onto the old A604, but the main movement is the A14 which gets put onto a one lane slip road and, westbound, has to cross traffic darting off the M11 onto the Eastbound A14. There are regular accidents on the westbound approach.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Girton is unusual for such a major British junction in that it has two loops putting down and picking up traffic from the same place, as JVGazeley describes. The HA have a plan under which '[t]he existing southern ‘cloverleaf’ loop would be removed and a new link road provided between the Cambridge Northern Bypass and the westbound A14'. They also plan to put additional links in for local traffic, creating one of the most complex junctions on the network - see the drawing on page 2 here. The plan is quite far progressed - an early contractor involvement contract for the project this is part of was awarded in January.
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Catthorpe as a motorway junction is fine. M6 to M1 South and vice versa is easy. Its the non motorway part where it falls apart. Granted its one of the busiest and most important non motorway roads in the country. As a Srtictly motorway junction it works well.