M40 / A46 Longbridge Island

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: M40 / A46 Longbridge Island

Post by Truvelo »

Watching mittfh's video there isn't much gap between the northbound merge and the services.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Truvelo wrote:Watching mittfh's video there isn't much gap between the northbound merge and the services.
In reality there is more than enough space between them to get the merge over and done with, then deal with the services.

Lane designation signs have gone up on the southbound approach, and yes, M40(N) traffic will be directed to use the new bypass. The more I think about it, the more I think these bats they are trying to protect have actually benefited the junction. If the western roundabout was actually grade separated, such movement wouldn't be possible and would mean clogging up more traffic on the main roundabout. In reality, the new smaller roundabout should flow well, after all it is the quieter side of the A46, and all the other roundabouts between the M40 and M5 cope perfectly well.
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

The latest traffic management bulletin states the following:
It is intended that the new alignment of the A46 southbound from J15 via New Sherbourne roundabout will be open overnight on Sunday 13 December.
It is intended around tea time Monday 14 December that the new Bypass from New Sherbourne roundabout Heading Northbound over the M40 towards Hampton Road will open.

It is intended overnight Monday 14 December that the new Bypass from Hampton Road heading southbound over the M40 towards New Sherbourne roundabout will open.
So it looks like all new bits of the bypass should be open by Tuesday morning.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

pthomas wrote:It is intended overnight Monday 14 December that the new Bypass from Hampton Road heading southbound over the M40 towards New Sherbourne roundabout will open.
They seemed to have a lot of work to do on the eastern side when I was there the other day. They must be working flat out around the clock for this!
A428_Owen

Post by A428_Owen »

I travelled southbound on the M40 through this junction today. The queue on the northbound carriageway was many miles long and the exit queue going southbound was on the hard shoulder from some reason. The driver in front of me didn't spot this and decided to stop on the carriageway in lane 1 - with nothing in front.

If this has been typical of behaviour during the works those of you having to negotiate it have my sympathy.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

A428_Owen wrote:I travelled southbound on the M40 through this junction today. The queue on the northbound carriageway was many miles long and the exit queue going southbound was on the hard shoulder from some reason. The driver in front of me didn't spot this and decided to stop on the carriageway in lane 1 - with nothing in front.

If this has been typical of behaviour during the works those of you having to negotiate it have my sympathy.
It is an unfortunate by-product of the weekend contraflows on the A46, brings the whole area to a standstill through Saturday daytimes, the queues on the A46 approaching Longbridge are usually beyond terrible! That said, if we want this work doing, we have to endure the short term inconvenience. I think a lot of thought and consideration has gone into how the works are handled to reduce the amount of inconvenience.
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

Jeni wrote:
A428_Owen wrote:I travelled southbound on the M40 through this junction today. The queue on the northbound carriageway was many miles long and the exit queue going southbound was on the hard shoulder from some reason. The driver in front of me didn't spot this and decided to stop on the carriageway in lane 1 - with nothing in front.

It is an unfortunate by-product of the weekend contraflows on the A46, brings the whole area to a standstill through Saturday daytimes, the queues on the A46 approaching Longbridge are usually beyond terrible! That said, if we want this work doing, we have to endure the short term inconvenience. I think a lot of thought and consideration has gone into how the works are handled to reduce the amount of inconvenience.
I've seen the chaos caused when lanes have been closed on weekday rush hours and it then takes hours to clear james of only a few miles. I'm also thankful about how the biggest disruption has been planned off peak when traffic volumes are much lower.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

Apparantly its now open. I'll try to go in the daylight tomorrow to get some pics.
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

Jeni wrote:Apparantly its now open. I'll try to go in the daylight tomorrow to get some pics.
I've just been through there. Northbound is open although the merge is currently only one lane presumably because the contraflow cones are still out. There's a full closure of that carriageway tomorrow night so maybe the contraflow cones will be removed then.

Southbound is not yet open but then wasn't planned to happen until tonight anyway.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

pthomas wrote:I've just been through there. Northbound is open although the merge is currently only one lane presumably because the contraflow cones are still out. There's a full closure of that carriageway tomorrow night so maybe the contraflow cones will be removed then.
Yeah I just got bored and went to have a look myself! There were quite a few people going from Longbridge up to the new roundabout and turning right, I suspect being nosey, though there may be an argument that its the quicker route onto the A46 N from the M40 N (bypasses two sets of traffic lights). I can't see that this would be encouraged as it would introduce extra conflicts at the new roundabout.

The merge from the bypass into the A46N was a bit hairy, probably because it was so busy (and traffic is unable to move over to let people out because of the contraflow lanes). Should sort itself out once all the TM is removed.

I'd presume the contraflow will be in use for one final time tonight to allow them to remove all the cones and barriers on the southbound carriageway and open up the bypass.
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

Jeni wrote:Yeah I just got bored and went to have a look myself! There were quite a few people going from Longbridge up to the new roundabout and turning right, I suspect being nosey, though there may be an argument that its the quicker route onto the A46 N from the M40 N (bypasses two sets of traffic lights). I can't see that this would be encouraged as it would introduce extra conflicts at the new roundabout.

The merge from the bypass into the A46N was a bit hairy, probably because it was so busy (and traffic is unable to move over to let people out because of the contraflow lanes). Should sort itself out once all the TM is removed.
I was also being being nosey tonight (and did the right turn at the new Sherbourne roundabout!).

I suspect that M40(N) to A46(N) will be one of the most significant movements once everything is opened. Hopefully the lights will be phased so that the signed route via Longbridge is usually the quickest and few people make the turn at Sherbourne.

I wasn't expecting the northbound part of bypass to be opened until the contraflow was removed because of how sticky a merge into a single lane would be especially at the very busy peak times.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Jeni wrote:Lane designation signs have gone up on the southbound approach, and yes, M40(N) traffic will be directed to use the new bypass.
I assumed that meant M40 n/b to A46 n/b was officially directed via the small roundabout, but some of the more recent posts seem to suggest otherwise. What am I missing here?

Also, this will be obvious to those who have been on the ground, as it were, but is the filter at the smaller roundabout which was discussed on the previous page in place? This would complete the freeflow for A46 s/b to M40 n/b.
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

jackal wrote:Also, this will be obvious to those who have been on the ground, as it were, but is the filter at the smaller roundabout which was discussed on the previous page in place? This would complete the freeflow for A46 s/b to M40 n/b.

Yes, this is what I was referring to earlier, A46S->M40N is directed via the bypass, the filter lanes are there, creating a freeflow on that movement in both directions (when the filter lanes open anyway)

M40N->A46N isn't directed via the new roundabout, but it appears that some may be cottoning on to the fact that it may be quicker, which would have the potential to bring the smaller roundabout to a standstill.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Jeni wrote:
jackal wrote:Also, this will be obvious to those who have been on the ground, as it were, but is the filter at the smaller roundabout which was discussed on the previous page in place? This would complete the freeflow for A46 s/b to M40 n/b.

Yes, this is what I was referring to earlier, A46S->M40N is directed via the bypass, the filter lanes are there, creating a freeflow on that movement in both directions (when the filter lanes open anyway)

M40N->A46N isn't directed via the new roundabout, but it appears that some may be cottoning on to the fact that it may be quicker, which would have the potential to bring the smaller roundabout to a standstill.
Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose if this proved to be a major problem they could replace the small roundabout with traffic lights prohibiting right turns from Longbridge or bite the bullet and put in a full access GSJ there.
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

jackal wrote:
Jeni wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense. I suppose if this proved to be a major problem they could replace the small roundabout with traffic lights prohibiting right turns from Longbridge or bite the bullet and put in a full access GSJ there.
The small roundabout is made of a couple of bridges and has a large hole in the middle for a bridleway/footpath so converting to a normal flat junction is not actually that easy.

I seem to recall reading quite a while back that trunking would be installed to more easily allow traffic lights to be installed on the new roundabout. Maybe if there is a problem (rather than just early curiosity) then lights will be installed and have penal timings to discourage traffic trying to make this move?
Jeni
Banned

Post by Jeni »

If they ever decide that they need to fully grade separate it, here is my plan...
longbridge.png
Don't worry! The bats are safe, I've put in a loop on the north side of the junction, so A46 traffic wishing to access the roundabout will do so from the M40 slip road, I've also included freeflow onto the M40 for that movement for good measure (M6 J2 style)

To keep the B4463 connected, that now splits before the M40 bridge, traffic heading towards the island will do so via the M40 slip road, and vice versa on the opposite slip road. Traffic isn't *that* high on the B road, so there shouldn't be any adverse effect. I've kept the A46S-M40N freeflow in for good measure (since its already there).

What's more, only one small bridge is required, where the new loop crosses over the slip from the M40 (and that could be avoided if you don't mind weaving! The new bypass bridge has been built with an extra span on either side, perfect for running extra slip roads through!
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

The southbound bypass has opened overnight and all contraflow cones have been removed from the original southbound carriageway. The freeflow around the new Sherbourne roundabout is marked but coned off for the time being. The B4463 also remains closed but looks finished so could re-open at any time.
mittfh

Post by mittfh »

Interestingly TrafficEngland claims that the two motorway off-slips will be closed overnight (8pm - 6am) all week, and the A46 between the junction and Stanks Interchange (which traffic reports now claim is "Warwick Island") will have overnight closures in both directions from Wednesday to Saturday and Monday to Thursday.

Unsurprisingly they haven't got around to updating their mapping yet (but then again, the scheme's so small [relatively speaking] that it wouldn't show up much at that resolution).

Interesting reading the statistics on how much 'stuff' was used to create it:
Highways Agency wrote:Over a million tonnes of clay were obtained from adjoining land, saving 120,000 lorry movements on local roads. Materials from the demolished Budbrooke Bridge and the redundant carriageways were also re-used in construction, with these activities helping to reduce the scheme’s carbon footprint by over 200,000 tonnes.

Construction of the A46 Longbridge bypass has (to date) entailed the use of:
· 30,000 tonnes of concrete
· 1,500 tonnes of reinforcement
· 1 million tonnes of aggregate and clay
· 20 kilometres of pipework
· 750,000 work hours
pthomas

Post by pthomas »

mittfh wrote:Interestingly TrafficEngland claims that the two motorway off-slips will be closed overnight (8pm - 6am) all week, and the A46 between the junction and Stanks Interchange (which traffic reports now claim is "Warwick Island") will have overnight closures in both directions from Wednesday to Saturday and Monday to Thursday.
Most of the M40 slip roads (apart from entry to M40(S)) are still building sites - especially the north facings slips. The bypass is open but not finished so I'm not surprised they still need off-peak restricions on the A46 and slip roads.
lamb.chop

Post by lamb.chop »

Just been up for a quick look.

There are still significant delays on the actual J15 roundabout.
The light phasing has not been changed and so the portion of the roundabout between the M40N J15 & the A46N to Coventry is still very congested waiting for NO TRAFFIC coming from the new A46 roundabout!

Any traffic that did appear then went M40N but the lights still held up the main roundabout, frustrating......

Still a muddy building site elsewhere.