A9 - Berriedale Braes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

J--M--B

A9 - Berriedale Braes

Post by J--M--B »

Estate study focuses on Berriedale A9 upgrade
Estate study focuses on Berriedale A9 upgrade
By Iain Grant
Published: 12 March, 2008

A PRIVATE-sector bid is being launched to break the long-standing impasse in securing improvements to the A9 at the Berriedale Braes.

Calls for a flyover by local politicians and community groups over the past three decades have fallen on deaf ears, with the scheme failing to even get on to the drawing board..........................
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
J--M--B

No plans for Berriedale A9 upgrade

Post by J--M--B »

From the Northern Times
Northern Times wrote:No plans for Berriedale A9 upgrade

Published: 02 April, 2009

REPLYING this week to local MSP Jamie Stone's request for a sight of plans and a planning update regarding improvements to the A9 at Berriedale, the Scottish Government has said there are "no current plans for improvements" and that accordingly it has not initiated any further design or costing studies.

In response to the point made by Mr Stone that the previous government had undertaken to cost proposals for this stretch of road, Transport Minister Stewart Stevenson said: "I am sure you understand that any commitments made by my predecessors are not commitments of this Scottish Government."

Mr Stone said: "This is a real let down. And it is all the worse because it reneges on an earlier firm commitment.

"One would hope that transport planning would not be subject to the whim of government. Careful thought, including on-site meetings with ministers at Berriedale, took us to where we were – a proposal being brought forward with the needs of local people and businesses uppermost. Now it looks as if the Scottish Government, with other considerations far further to the south, have ditched the clear needs of the north."
JMB
Fort William

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: A9 - Berriedale Braes

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Is the idea for Berriedale similar to the overpass at Dunbeath?

It's possibly the last "tricky" bit of the A9 left to Caithness, but I don't think it's that bad. It'd be interesting to think of narrow valleys further south and if they'd build anything similar there?
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

While I realise it's an area that probably does need improvement, I'll always have fond memories of driving up and down the A9 - Berriedale always marked a bit of a "milestone" on the route. Doesn't look like anything will be happening soon, though, for sure.
J--M--B

Fresh call for Berriedale flyover

Post by J--M--B »

BBC News
Page last updated at 23:33 GMT, Sunday, 3 May 2009 00:33 UK

Fresh call for Berriedale flyover

New calls for a flyover to carry the A9 over the Berriedale Braes should be made to the Scottish Government, Highland Council officials have said.

In a report to Thursday's full council, they suggested making the plea jointly with Orkney Islands Council.

The A9 takes road traffic from central Scotland to the far north, where travellers can then catch ferries to the islands.

The braes are notorious for their steep descents and climbs.

Making a fresh call for a flyover is contained in a report which looks at Caithness and North Sutherland Regeneration Partnership and the benefits to be sought from the decommissioning of the Dounreay nuclear complex near Thurso.

The braes are above the small community of Berriedale.
JMB
Fort William

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Option Selected for A9 Berriedale Braes hairpin

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/New ... es-hairpin
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Following the fire a few weeks back, which was probably not a result of the road, there was a fatal accident in the vicinity of the Braes last night - as was widely reported for holding up the ballot boxes from Caithness.
Whilst an exact location doesn't seem to have been reported in the press as yet, local information is that it was a local haulier on the steep hill at Berriedale. The road has just been fully reopened after 14 hours (latterly with traffic-signal controlled single lane running).

A comment I heard this morning was that the plans for the new stretch of road on the north side of Berriedale are insufficient, and that a bridge such as that at Helmsdale or Dunbeath is the only sensible option to overcome the apparent dangers of this stretch of road.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

I noticed there was recently another public exhibition for this scheme and orders have been published.

http://www.transportscotland.gov.uk/pro ... ent-scheme
Berriedale.png
This scheme is simply a realignment of the road to improve the radius of the hairpin bend on the north side. While not the most impressive upgrade in itself, as it only removes one of the issues at Berriedale - still leaving the long, steep gradients on either side which lack overtaking provision - it will hopefully be the start of upgrades on this stretch. Like the Ord of Caithness, it will hopefully see a series of schemes over several years to gradually bring it to a better standard.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

rileyrob wrote:Whilst an exact location doesn't seem to have been reported in the press as yet, local information is that it was a local haulier on the steep hill at Berriedale.
The accident with the Cormack's truck was at the bend at the bottom of the south hill, right under the escape lane.

Given they had passed the escape lane, I would suggest that driver error was more likely than mechanical failure, although I expect an FAI will find out in more detail what the cause was likely to have been.
Berriedale acident.jpg
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The gradient should, ideally, be less of a major concern if the hairpin radius does require you to be in 1st gear to get around it - HGVs doing 15 is surely better than them doing 5.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

In the first clip, why was the lorry stopped?
85CF380

Post by 85CF380 »

Trailer malfunction?
Andy33gmail

Post by Andy33gmail »

Ran out of driver's hours and was worried about VOSA? ;-)
Sussex_Wolf

A9 - Berriedale Braes

Post by Sussex_Wolf »

The scheme is an improvement certainly, but lacking the ambition that our European neighbours would apply to the same problem. The Norwegians would have built a beautiful flowing road all the way to Wick, and bored a tunnel to Orkney by now!
Burns

Post by Burns »

85CF380 wrote:Berriedale in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6LH2-mMNE
Coincidentally, the first video was filmed by a friend of mine who I worked with for a few years before he moved up to Orkney. When we met up a few months ago, he told me about the trapped lorry he encountered when driving down south.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

Sussex_Wolf wrote:The scheme is an improvement certainly, but lacking the ambition that our European neighbours would apply to the same problem. The Norwegians would have built a beautiful flowing road all the way to Wick, and bored a tunnel to Orkney by now!
The estate on who's land a completely new alignment would have to pass commission some research into options a number of years ago and while there is still strong public support for a high level viaduct, the research indicated that it would very regularly be closed to High Sided vehicles due to topographic funnelling of the wind, thus the very vehicles that have the biggest problem with the braes and the hairpin bends would regularly have to use them when the viaduct was restricted.

Am slightly disappointed that the improvement that is planned isn't being done as 2+1 though.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

haggishunter wrote:a high level viaduct, the research indicated that it would very regularly be closed to High Sided vehicles due to topographic funnelling of the wind, thus the very vehicles that have the biggest problem with the braes and the hairpin bends would regularly have to use them when the viaduct was restricted.
Why not create an "elevated tube" so that vehicles were effectively in a high level tunnel, not subject to wind forces - the sidewalls and roof of the "tunnel" only need to support their own weight and the external wind forces
Lifelong motorhead
Haydn1971

Post by Haydn1971 »

The alternative to get around the wind issue could be to tunnel/cut better approaches then cross at a lower level.
Regards, Haydn

:: Visit My roads in Sheffield mini site
:: View my photostream on Flickr
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

A public inquiry into the Berridale improvement scheme was held last week, due to a single objection concerning the stopping up of a private access.

The access in question is the point marked 5 on this drawing.
Berriedale stopping up.png
Which is this gate just below the bend.
Berriedale access.jpg
The gate leads to what is basically a steep path to the back of the cottages to the north of the river.
The houses are normally accessed by a footbridge from a private access road to the south of the river. The objector is the owner of one of the houses (who currently doesn't live there).

Transport Scotland have deemed it necessary stop up the access due to its position on the outside of the bend and the gradient it meets the road at (hence poor visibility).
The objector insists he needs the access, despite it looking like it's not been used for many years (although he has suddenly felt the need to take a mini excavator down it to clear the vegetation).

Some reports from the inquiry give some more detail:
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... y-get-way/
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... fety-risk/
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... yone-else/
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... -objector/

I particularly like the following quotes:
Mr Johnston claimed he would only ever use a fully taxed and licensed quad bike to transport furniture and concrete along the track
the solicitor representing Transport Scotland at the inquiry, said that having a friend stationed on the main road to shout down to another to stop for traffic, was a “preposterous” suggestion.
Which is apparently how he going to use the access "safely".