M5 Camel - Where has it gone?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jhluxton

M5 Camel - Where has it gone?

Post by jhluxton »

I noticed during December that "Humphrey" the M5 Camel and his recently acquired friend "Boo" had disappeared from their location just south of the "wicker man".

At the time I thought he had disappeared perhaps for Christmas and I recall some years ago that he disappeared for several months.

However, passing by last week and this week I noticed that the camel which has been something of landmark is still missing for almost a quarter of a century

Anyone know what has happened?

John :?:
http://www.jhluxton.com
Transport, Industrial History Photography and more
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

Burnt down, perhaps?
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
RoadaddictReece

Post by RoadaddictReece »

Sounds like several things happen to our friend the M5 camel. On time several years back i went down to devon for holiday and it looked like he had a red ribbon round his neck...
The road addict has returned!
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Not sure what happened to the camels, but has anyone else noticed the dinosaur in the bushes beside the northbound carriageway at Bridgwater? Can't remember if it is before of after the wicker man - will have to have a close look next time I'm up that way.
RoadaddictReece

Post by RoadaddictReece »

If its that little wicker thingy by a hedge it is south of the wicker man
The road addict has returned!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

The Willow Man and the Dino were both still there last week when I went to Somerset. They surprised me but then I figured "It is Somerset, so nothing too odd really!" :P

Anybody know what the solar panel spire thingy is for? It's along the M5 in those parts but didn't seem to have any reason for its placing.

Nick 8-)
jhluxton

Post by jhluxton »

Since posting my original message I did some searching around and found two possible answers:

The BBC Somerset web site reported that "Humphrey" and "Boo" were taken to Taunton for a Christmas Nativity display and there was a photograph of them there.

Another was a reply to a question posted elsewhere which suggested that the Highways Agency had insisted on their removal as they were a distraction to drivers.

Well if that is the case - is not the much bigger plastic dinosaur also a distraction and the Wickerman and even bigger one?

With regards to embelishments from time to time "Humphrey" has worn hats / helments or scarves.

Just hope its not a case of the HA being awkward and "Humphrey" returns soon ;-))

John
Kenny1975

Post by Kenny1975 »

This sounds strange, anyone any pics of these camels.

Seen the WickerMan loads used to go down to brigwater every night.
There are more pandas in Scotland than Tory MP's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgrbeat/
jhluxton

Post by jhluxton »

Kenny1975 wrote:This sounds strange, anyone any pics of these camels.

Seen the WickerMan loads used to go down to brigwater every night.
Picture on following BBC page of Camels at Taunton Nativity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/i ... ry.shtml?2
Kenny1975

Post by Kenny1975 »

I recongnise those camels now :)
There are more pandas in Scotland than Tory MP's

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgrbeat/
henhouse05

Re: M5 Camel - Where has it gone?

Post by henhouse05 »

He did come back, but he's dissapeared again now (probably for something to do with the Bridgewater Carnival). He does charity work and other stuff too from time to time, so he is liable to come and go.
RoadaddictReece wrote:Sounds like several things happen to our friend the M5 camel. On time several years back i went down to devon for holiday and it looked like he had a red ribbon round his neck...

That's quite normal, he often gets dressed up, depending on the weather. :)
DavidBrown wrote:Not sure what happened to the camels, but has anyone else noticed the dinosaur in the bushes beside the northbound carriageway at Bridgwater? Can't remember if it is before of after the wicker man - will have to have a close look next time I'm up that way.
He's brilliant, but something of a hazard too! He moved to the other side of the road because the trees were getting to dense for you to see him, but I went passed him 2 weeks ago, then the other day and he had overturned! How undignified! I hope he gets put back up soon! :shock:
Big Nick wrote:The Willow Man and the Dino were both still there last week when I went to Somerset. They surprised me but then I figured "It is Somerset, so nothing too odd really!"

Anybody know what the solar panel spire thingy is for? It's along the M5 in those parts but didn't seem to have any reason for its placing.

Nick

The spire thing is a sculpture called tower of light. It is supposed to mark the gateway to somerset and the south west. I doesn't look much in daylight but it has little led lights that are lit up on certain nights of the year, which makes it look quite spectacular! :o

Hope this helps! :D
Last edited by henhouse05 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:31, edited 1 time in total.
On the road again...
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Since this has been dragged up, does anyone else think that the charm of the Wicker Man has been lost with the dominant Morrisons depot now next door? There's also new housing very close by, so in the space of a year the Wicker Man has gone from being in deepest darkest rural Somerset to being hidden amongst another suburb of Bridgwater. Bit of a shame IMO.
henhouse05

Post by henhouse05 »

DavidBrown wrote:Since this has been dragged up, does anyone else think that the charm of the Wicker Man has been lost with the dominant Morrisons depot now next door? There's also new housing very close by, so in the space of a year the Wicker Man has gone from being in deepest darkest rural Somerset to being hidden amongst another suburb of Bridgwater. Bit of a shame IMO.
Yes I blimmin do!
I hate that depot, only just realised it's a morrison's one, thanks for saying that, I had been wondering! :(
Why are they doing that around the wilow man of all places?
Also (sorry to break the news) but the M5 dinosaur has been vandalised. :(
http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie ... 41&t=27962
http://www.jackbristol.com/news/bristol ... aign-6574/

Di or Rex lovers may want to prepare themselves, the article has some pretty tragic pictures to go with it. :(
Last edited by henhouse05 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
On the road again...
shimtoan

Post by shimtoan »

so many stretches of motorway look so alike that it's nice to have landmarks, such as the Wicker Man and Dino.

I was upset when the steel bull that signalled your arrival in Sheffield from the south was replaced by a giant steel 'O'. if that wasn't bad enough, the 'O' was then removed, so theres nothing there now :(
|| DFC latest | MLP | Dunkirk 0-3 South Normanton Ath | 25 3 7 15 26 61 -35 16 | 19 ||

Ginger 11/'12-02/'18 degu;Jordie 04/'05-04/'16 dog;Honey 01/'09-02/'11 mouse;Sam 02/'09-06/'11 gerbil;Jasmine 01/'09-11/'11 mouse;Angel 09/'11-06/'12 mouse;Tibbs 09/'96-09/'12 cat;Shini 02/'09-12/'12 gerbil;Tilly 09/'11-02/'13 mouse;Pip 09/'11-05/'13 mouse
dragonv480

Post by dragonv480 »

Well that's the down side of that steel works changing hands so many times in a short space of time...

Then salt was rubbed into the wounds by E-On taking away the Sheffield twin-towers from the opposite side too!!!!

Not that the bull really signalled arrival in Sheffield from the south as such, since it was at Meadowhall junction (34), and you've already been past numerous Sheffield exits including J33 to the centre via the Parkway.

The bull was always more of a "nearly missed Sheffield" from the south, and more of a "nearly there" if coming from the North.
Cheers! Image

Gaz Wilson
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Sorry to shift geography - not too far off-topic, I hope - does anyone know what the latest is on the plan for the big white horse in Kent?
shimtoan

Post by shimtoan »

dragonv480 wrote:The bull was always more of a "nearly missed Sheffield" from the south, and more of a "nearly there" if coming from the North.
my mistake. I forgot whether I was going to or from my dads (when he lived up north)
|| DFC latest | MLP | Dunkirk 0-3 South Normanton Ath | 25 3 7 15 26 61 -35 16 | 19 ||

Ginger 11/'12-02/'18 degu;Jordie 04/'05-04/'16 dog;Honey 01/'09-02/'11 mouse;Sam 02/'09-06/'11 gerbil;Jasmine 01/'09-11/'11 mouse;Angel 09/'11-06/'12 mouse;Tibbs 09/'96-09/'12 cat;Shini 02/'09-12/'12 gerbil;Tilly 09/'11-02/'13 mouse;Pip 09/'11-05/'13 mouse
henhouse05

Post by henhouse05 »

shimtoan wrote:I was upset when the steel bull that signalled your arrival in Sheffield from the south was replaced by a giant steel 'O'. if that wasn't bad enough, the 'O' was then removed, so theres nothing there now :(
Funny, there's a similar sculpture Ireland to that bull - two of them (steel cows/ox etc) in a field on your left as you are coming into Tuam on the N17 from claremorris, they often make you do a double take as they look like real cows grazing. :laugh:
On the road again...
manrow

Post by manrow »

Humphrey and Boo reappeared at original site around Christmas 2011.

I believe the farmer is planning to replace the slashed dinosaur.

I agree that the stick man is hemmed in by new housing estate and new Morrison's distribution center.
manrow

Post by manrow »

Both the camels have disappeared again.

Will try to find out why in the morning.