A90/A96 Haudagain Roundabout - and the solution is...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: A90/A96 Haudagain Roundabout - and the solution is...

Post by Bryn666 »

Most of that £18m has to be land acquisition costs.

I'm still not convinced how this is the most efficient design to replace the existing disasteroid - it introduces several junctions for a kick off, but I'm sure someone did their homework.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

B9127 wrote:£18 million for 500m of dual carriageway! We were robbed !
Not all of that is being spent on the dual carriageway itself. Some of the budget will be used to cover costs for land purchases etc. rather than the actual construction.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The contract to construct the Haudagain upgrade has been awarded to Farrans Construction, with the work due to be completed by 2021.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... p-forward/
Euan

Post by Euan »

The vast majority of the traffic using the roundabout before the partial opening of the AWPR would probably have been local traffic and so the bypass would not have made it a huge amount quieter on its own. Even once the Craibstone - Goval section opens there will still be a lot of local traffic using the roundabout. It's good to hear that there were not too many objections from rehoused tenants previously living in the houses that were demolished to make way for a "mini-bypass" of the roundabout.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Berk

Post by Berk »

Euan wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 17:11 The vast majority of the traffic using the roundabout before the partial opening of the AWPR would probably have been local traffic and so the bypass would not have made it a huge amount quieter on its own. Even once the Craibstone - Goval section opens there will still be a lot of local traffic using the roundabout. It's good to hear that there were not too many objections from rehoused tenants previously living in the houses that were demolished to make way for a "mini-bypass" of the roundabout.
It depends what we mean by local - traffic going up to Fraserburgh and Peterhead?? There aren’t many more miles left to go on the A90 at that point. And BTW, is the remainder of the road still keeping its number post bypass, or changing to A92??

(Before I go on, I need to explain I have a complulsively tidy mind - I hate roads with sharp deviations or curves. They usually involve the need for a roundabout or feature at some point - which needs to be bypassed).

Looking at the map, I can see a better place for a junction would have been closer to the cemetery. Was no thought given to resiting some of the cemetery, and building a roundabout on Auchmill Road at all??
Euan

Post by Euan »

Berk wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 18:54
Euan wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 17:11 The vast majority of the traffic using the roundabout before the partial opening of the AWPR would probably have been local traffic and so the bypass would not have made it a huge amount quieter on its own. Even once the Craibstone - Goval section opens there will still be a lot of local traffic using the roundabout. It's good to hear that there were not too many objections from rehoused tenants previously living in the houses that were demolished to make way for a "mini-bypass" of the roundabout.
It depends what we mean by local - traffic going up to Fraserburgh and Peterhead?? There aren’t many more miles left to go on the A90 at that point. And BTW, is the remainder of the road still keeping its number post bypass, or changing to A92??

(Before I go on, I need to explain I have a complulsively tidy mind - I hate roads with sharp deviations or curves. They usually involve the need for a roundabout or feature at some point - which needs to be bypassed).

Looking at the map, I can see a better place for a junction would have been closer to the cemetery. Was no thought given to resiting some of the cemetery, and building a roundabout on Auchmill Road at all??
Local traffic I would say is any traffic with Aberdeen at one end of the journey, so not including traffic that was previously passing through Aberdeen to get between two places distant from Aberdeen.

North of Blackdog the A90 number will remain as is, with only the old A90 between Stonehaven and Blackdog through Aberdeen being renumbered as the A92.

I think the whole purpose of proposing a link road bypassing Haudagain Roundabout is so that the traffic through the area can be separated out a bit, another roundabout on Auchmill Road with a link down to the River Don would effectively be replacing Haudagain Roundabout and much of the traffic would use that new roundabout instead without much separation.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Contractor appointed - Farrans Construction. Cost is expected to be £49.5m, with the road expected to open in March 2021.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

orudge wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 13:44 Contractor appointed - Farrans Construction. Cost is expected to be £49.5m, with the road expected to open in March 2021.
Late Summer then :lol:
Burns

Post by Burns »

It'll open in March 2021, for a day or two, then a load of cones and temporary traffic lights will appear whilst they finish the construction.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Construction completion now delayed until March. Further info on Transport Scotland.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Quite funny that in 2008 this was being talked about as a short term solution until the bypass was completed...
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Surely this must be almost finished by now. Does anyone know the latest completion date ?.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Currently estimated as "mid-May" apparently, but certainly wasn't open when I drove through today. Maybe in the next week or two they'll just announce it's open?
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

orudge wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 14:06 Maybe in the next week or two they'll just announce it's open?
Turns out it's to open on Monday.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

At last an opening date, it'll be nice to see the road finally open after so many delays.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Various media reports available about the opening of the new road, with a few photos too.

This must be, per-mile, one of the more expensive projects that have ever been built in the UK, at around £160m per mile… (though this 11-year old article suggests it’s perhaps a relative bargain)