A90/A96 Haudagain Roundabout - and the solution is...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

novaecosse

A90/A96 Haudagain Roundabout - and the solution is...

Post by novaecosse »

leave it alone and build a link road! :bang:

Local rag on the case... Cheapest road for Aberdeen blackspot

Option 5 is being put forward to NESTRANS as the preferred option.
This will form a short dual carriageway link between the A90 and A96, bypassing the actual roundabout.

So rather than tackle the actual problem, they want to build around it :roll:

I was hoping for Option 11 :(

The sooner that Aberdeen bypass is built the better! 8-)
A8000Bob

Re: A90/A96 Haudagain Roundabout - and the solution is...

Post by A8000Bob »

novaecosse wrote:leave it alone and build a link road! :bang:

Local rag on the case... Cheapest road for Aberdeen blackspot

Option 5 is being put forward to NESTRANS as the preferred option.
This will form a short dual carriageway link between the A90 and A96, bypassing the actual roundabout.

So rather than tackle the actual problem, they want to build around it :roll:

I was hoping for Option 11 :(

The sooner that Aberdeen bypass is built the better! 8-)
They're going to have to knock a few things down to fit that in aren't they?

The junctions between the link road and the A90/A96 are to be signal controlled, surely this could lead to the roundabut itself becoming gridlocked at peak times, defeating the point of the excercise somewhat..?

When is the Aberdeen bypass due to open?
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Andy J »

A8000_Bob wrote: When is the Aberdeen bypass due to open?
:S :scratchchin: :tumbleweed:
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Surely this is only going to be a short term solution until the bypass is built? Is the demolition required really worth it?

This isn't the first time an improvement has been made only to be obsoleted a few years later. Bage Way in Shrewsbury was built in the late 80's as an Eastern Bypass for the A49 only to be replaced less than 5 years later by the outer bypass.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A8000Bob

Post by A8000Bob »

Andy J wrote:
A8000_Bob wrote: When is the Aberdeen bypass due to open?
:S :scratchchin: :tumbleweed:
Thanks. That really helped. :roll:

What is the timescale for the Haudagain Roundabout improvments? A couple of years to completion maybe? I can't remember exactly, but the bypass is due to open sometime in 2013/2014. As Truvelo says, is it really worth the expense simply for a couple of years of real benefit?
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

They are looking to do an urban regeneration project... so the idea is to move out the undesirables, level the place and build some overpriced new houses.

They'd have been just as well turning Haudagain Roundabout into a signalised junction.

They'll need to get their finger out though...
NESTRANS are expecting Transport Scotland to pick up the tab as a Trunk Road Project.
So it'll need to be done before the bypass finishes and the A90/A96 gets detrunked.
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

Sure the Aberdeen By-pass will take a good number of vehicles off that road, thus allowing the cheaper solution to be more viable?

Did Porcelanosa ever build in the site of the old car garage- there was an application about 2 years ago for it!
To come second is to be the first of the losers.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

flyingscot wrote:Sure the Aberdeen By-pass will take a good number of vehicles off that road, thus allowing the cheaper solution to be more viable?

Did Porcelanosa ever build in the site of the old car garage- there was an application about 2 years ago for it!
They built a few retail units... still empty apart from a Pizza Hut delivery! :lol:
WeirdKerr

Post by WeirdKerr »

novaecosse wrote:
flyingscot wrote:Sure the Aberdeen By-pass will take a good number of vehicles off that road, thus allowing the cheaper solution to be more viable?

They built a few retail units... still empty apart from a Pizza Hut delivery! :lol:
and a wine warehouse(i forget its name)
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

WeirdKerr wrote:
novaecosse wrote:

and a wine warehouse(i forget its name)
Majestic... aye that too :lol:
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

A8000_Bob wrote:What is the timescale for the Haudagain Roundabout improvments? A couple of years to completion maybe? I can't remember exactly, but the bypass is due to open sometime in 2013/2014. As Truvelo says, is it really worth the expense simply for a couple of years of real benefit?
They are saying 3 years. Though NESTRANS are now saying that additional work to turn the current option into Option 11 could be done at a later date, but that could be 15 years away!
Presumably ACC will need the 15years to save up enough money, considering they are skint :lol:
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

novaecosse wrote:
A8000_Bob wrote:What is the timescale for the Haudagain Roundabout improvments? A couple of years to completion maybe? I can't remember exactly, but the bypass is due to open sometime in 2013/2014. As Truvelo says, is it really worth the expense simply for a couple of years of real benefit?
They are saying 3 years. Though NESTRANS are now saying that additional work to turn the current option into Option 11 could be done at a later date, but that could be 15 years away!
Presumably ACC will need the 15years to save up enough money, considering they are skint :lol:
And are run by 15 year olds too IIRC.
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

flyingscot wrote:And are run by 15 year olds too IIRC.
He's 20 now... his birthday was yesterday :wink:

For those who don't know Cllr John West is Aberdeen's Deputy Provost, voted in at the tender age of 18.

He's been setting an example though... paying back his expenses... at that age I'd have been :censored: the money up the wall! :D

And he'll probably get an Aberdeen Roundabout named after him... :lol:
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

novaecosse wrote:
flyingscot wrote:And are run by 15 year olds too IIRC.
He's 20 now... his birthday was yesterday :wink:

For those who don't know Cllr John West is Aberdeen's Deputy Provost, voted in at the tender age of 18.

He's been setting an example though... paying back his expenses... at that age I'd have been :censored: the money up the wall! :D

And he'll probably get an Aberdeen Roundabout named after him... :lol:
TBH he's smart. I'd love to be a councillor, sounds like a :censored: easy job if the money is good.

Would we care if they were not there....:lol:
Iain

Post by Iain »

novaecosse wrote:...Cllr John West is Aberdeen's Deputy Provost, voted in at the tender age of 18.
I was expecting to see a photo of the big ginger lad from Big Brother but this is another John. They start em early in Scotland it seems!
A brimful of asha on the M45.
flyingscot

Post by flyingscot »

On a vaguely related subject, have some of the contracts changed on the trunk roads these days?

Noticed Amey is now maintaining the M77 with a freshly patched sign what happened to Connect?
novaecosse

Post by novaecosse »

flyingscot wrote:On a vaguely related subject, have some of the contracts changed on the trunk roads these days?

Noticed Amey is now maintaining the M77 with a freshly patched sign what happened to Connect?
M77 is a DBFO. It's Connect's responsiblity to operate the M77 for the concession period, so they can subcontract out the maintenance should they so wish.
It's not unusual for the Trunk Road term maintenance contractors to tender for other DBFO maintenance contracts :wink:
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The details of the preferred option for the Haudagain roundabout have been published (same as originally announced in 2008). Exhibition panels, etc, can be found on Transport Scotland's site. Not due to start until the AWPR is open in 2018 though.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I failed to find this thread when I posted this, but the plans weren't online then.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Ah yes, I thought I'd seen something recently on here, but couldn't immediately find it.