Oops! (Google Mapping Blunders)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Re: Oops! (Google Mapping Blunders)

Post by Chris Bertram »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 21:22 Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere? Not an error as such, but does anyone else really dislike the standard Google shortening of "Street" to "St" etc in the case where that is actually the name of the road? The Street is pretty widespread name for the main road in villages in some parts of England, and The Drive is a fairly standard suburban fixture. To seemingly show these as "The Saint" and "The Doctor" has always seemed very odd to me - until I filled in our ESTAs online for our forthcoming trip to the States, and the form automatically changed our contact address from Street to St. Could Google not grant the UK an exception?
This has also been seen in Glastonbury, where one of the main roads out leads to .. Street, and is therefore called Street Road. See here in Streetmap (no, not St.map :D )
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
lefthandedspanner

Post by lefthandedspanner »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 21:22Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere? Not an error as such, but does anyone else really dislike the standard Google shortening of "Street" to "St" etc in the case where that is actually the name of the road? The Street is pretty widespread name for the main road in villages in some parts of England, and The Drive is a fairly standard suburban fixture. To seemingly show these as "The Saint" and "The Doctor" has always seemed very odd to me - until I filled in our ESTAs online for our forthcoming trip to the States, and the form automatically changed our contact address from Street to St. Could Google not grant the UK an exception?
The most ridiculous examples of that are the ones like "Great Western Rd" in Glasgow or the "Great North Rd" between London and Edinburgh.
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 21:25This has also been seen in Glastonbury, where one of the main roads out leads to .. Street, and is therefore called Street Road. See here in Streetmap (no, not St.map :D )
Similarly, the main north-south road through Gildersome (near Leeds) is called Street Lane, for less obvious reasons.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 22:01Similarly, the main north-south road through Gildersome (near Leeds) is called Street Lane, for less obvious reasons.
There's one of those in north Leeds near Roundhay Park too, for equally obscure reasons.
poshbakerloo

Post by poshbakerloo »

Wilmslow has 'Holly Rd N' although I don't see that as a problem... And it's not blanket as Parkway in Wilmslow is NOT called 'Pkwy' but maybe that's because they is no name before it.
vlad

Post by vlad »

I'm not a fan of the fact they tend to abbreviate compass directions in street names.

You do get the occasional one that's bizarre or humorous, such as East Bay in Mallaig, which in abbreviation could be confused for a certain online sales portal.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Both B Roads are shown in the centre of Downham Market in Norfolk even though they are now C Roads